What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Possible to change Apple email address?

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I know that there are discussions all over the internet about how to change an Apple email address. I've read a lot of posts but am still baffled as to whether it's even possible!
When I set up my Apple ID I used a gmail address: [email protected]. That email address of course became my Apple email address ([email protected] & [email protected])
I would like to change this so that my other gmail address ([email protected]) becomes my Apple email address ([email protected] & [email protected]) I'm assuming that people that I send emails to through iCloud would then see my new preferred email address.
First...is it even possible to do this?
Second...I'm concerned about not losing any of my Apple app purchase history associated with my current Apple ID email address if I'm able to make the change.
Again...I apologize for not understanding numerous posts on this topic but if possible I would very much like to make this change!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I know that there are discussions all over the internet about how to change an Apple email address. I've read a lot of posts but am still baffled as to whether it's even possible!
When I set up my Apple ID I used a gmail address: [email protected]. That email address of course became my Apple email address ([email protected] & [email protected])
I would like to change this so that my other gmail address ([email protected]) becomes my Apple email address ([email protected] & [email protected]) I'm assuming that people that I send emails to through iCloud would then see my new preferred email address.
First...is it even possible to do this?
Second...I'm concerned about not losing any of my Apple app purchase history associated with my current Apple ID email address if I'm able to make the change.
Again...I apologize for not understanding numerous posts on this topic but if possible I would very much like to make this change!

To answer your first question: as you're using a gmail address, it is possible to change your Apple ID.
Here's a link to show you how to do it: http://support.apple.com/kb/HT5621?viewlocale=en_US

When you send emails it need not necessarily be through your iCloud. You have to set up your mail accounts in Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendars, and there you may choose whatever mail address you want and add mail accounts you use. As default mail address you can take the one you prefer, and your mails are sent through your chosen account.

You need your Apple ID for the App Store and iTunes. It must be an active mail address.

Last edited:
OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks J. A. I changed my Apple ID & Primary Email address to what I wanted and it has been verified. However it doesn't seem to have changed anything. When I go to iCloud in settings on both my iPad 4 & iPod Touch 5 it still says that my Apple ID is the one I just replaced & that old replaced gmail address also still shows in iCloud Account Information as the email address that email will be sent from. I'm really confused now!!

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks J. A. I changed my Apple ID & Primary Email address to what I wanted and it has been verified. However it doesn't seem to have changed anything. When I go to iCloud in settings on both my iPad 4 & iPod Touch 5 it still says that my Apple ID is the one I just replaced & that old replaced gmail address also still shows in iCloud Account Information as the email address that email will be sent from. I'm really confused now!!

Go to Settings - Mails, Contacts, Calendar. There you see your mail accounts. If the one you prefer isn't there, add it. With Gmail it's easy to do. Then scroll down to Default Account and choose the account you like.

Which address is shown in Settings - iTunes and App Stores? Perhaps you should check this first.

Last edited:
OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I went to iTunes and App Store and was able to change my update/change my Apple ID there. I already have my preferred gmail account set up as an Apple mail account and it's the default. I think that's different from what I'm trying to do though. I'm trying to make it so that when I sent email from Apple's mail app that it identifies as sending from my new Apple ID ([email protected]), not the old replaced email of (ex: [email protected]).
Note: My new Apple ID is [email protected] and the old ID was [email protected].

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I went to iTunes and App Store and was able to change my update/change my Apple ID there. I already have my preferred gmail account set up as an Apple mail account and it's the default. I think that's different from what I'm trying to do though. I'm trying to make it so that when I sent email from Apple's mail app that it identifies as sending from my new Apple ID ([email protected]), not the old replaced email of (ex: [email protected]).
Note: My new Apple ID is [email protected] and the old ID was [email protected].

By "Apple's mail app" you mean the app on your iPad, I assume. By choosing it as your default mail account, your mails should be sent through your prefered mail address.

OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What I'm looking at is iCloud Account Information under iCloud and then Account and then Advanced. The first field has my name and the second has my email address (the one I thought I had just gotten rid of!) There doesn't seem to be a way to change that because when I click on it it brings up both [email protected] and [email protected]. Further down it lists both of those unwanted emails as allowed to send emails from with only an on/off option.
I think what has happened is that I have changed my Apple ID & my Primary Email Address but it hasn't done anything to change my Apple email address.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What I'm looking at is iCloud Account Information under iCloud and then Account and then Advanced. The first field has my name and the second has my email address (the one I thought I had just gotten rid of!) There doesn't seem to be a way to change that because when I click on it it brings up both [email protected] and [email protected]. Further down it lists both of those unwanted emails as allowed to send emails from with only an on/off option.
I think what has happened is that I have changed my Apple ID & my Primary Email Address but it hasn't done anything to change my Apple email address.

Then try this: in Settings - iCloud delete the Account (save to iPad), sign in with new Apple ID. If it doesn't work the way you'd like it, you can still sign in again with the old mail address.

Last edited:
OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I already tried that on both the iPad & iPod Touch. It didn't change my outgoing Apple email address. BUT...I did some more research and found that I could create an Apple Email Alias and that seems to give the results that I was looking for. Not ideal as I need to remember to choose the alias when sending out an email but I think it will work well if I remember :)

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I already tried that on both the iPad & iPod Touch. It didn't change my outgoing Apple email address. BUT...I did some more research and found that I could create an Apple Email Alias and that seems to give the results that I was looking for. Not ideal as I need to remember to choose the alias when sending out an email but I think it will work well if I remember :)

I'm glad you found a solution. :) Sorry that I couldn't help you the way you needed it.

OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks...you were a big help. You bolstered my courage to even attempt to change my Apple ID. You don't know how many times I've brought myself almost to that point only to back off!

Most reactions

Latest posts