What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Playing I Pad through audio equipment

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do I use to connect the I Pad to a tuner amp so I can play my music through it?

I like many of the radio stations on tune in radio, and it would be cool to play them through a quality speaker system.
Any ideas please,

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I use a simple cable with headphone plug at each end, and take the output from the iPad headphone socket. Cables are available with audio stereo connectors.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I have a cable that fits the iPad headphone jack on one end, and has a stereo pair of RCA plugs on the other, which I plug into my preamp's AUX input. It should work fine on the average receiver, though a good hifi will reveal the limitations of the iPad's DAC and headphone amp.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I have a cable that fits the iPad headphone jack on one end, and has a stereo pair of RCA plugs on the other, which I plug into my preamp's AUX input. It should work fine on the average receiver, though a good hifi will reveal the limitations of the iPad's DAC and headphone amp.

milliHelen: amount of beauty required to launch one ship.

RCA. Thanks, Lanny. Couldn't remember the name. That would be it.

DocPhyz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My Apple TV only has HDMI and Optical Audio outputs. Most audio equipment has either RCA stereo inputs or a mini stereo jack. So I'll go with Lanny C for the best reply to OP.

OP
T

Thomasp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Many thanks for the very comprehensive answers. Appreciated. Will try soon.

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My Apple TV only has HDMI and Optical Audio outputs. Most audio equipment has either RCA stereo inputs or a mini stereo jack.

While this is certainly true in my experience, there ARE a great many audio (home theater type) systems that have HDMI and SPDIF optical input. For those who have such systems and a compatible streamer device, streaming via something like an appleTV seems like a very viable option.

Most reactions