What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Headphone to 4.5mm (guitar amp type) patch lead (male to male)?

jimb0b360

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi there! I have an iPad 2 and I love listening to music on it. I also recently restrung my old electric guitar and started having lessons on it after about a year off settling into a new school. Anyway, I listen to my music through 5 year old speakers, and want something more substantial to listen through, like my brand new vox pathfinder 10 watt guitar amp. So three questions:

1) Would I be able to use the amp as a speaker as long as I play it in clean mode?
2) Would I be able to use the equaliser on the amp to increase bass etc. well if so?
3) The main question for this post: Where can I find an 1/8" to 1/4" patch lead or converter if it would work, to connect the amp and iPad or anything else?

Thanks
Jim -UK

I'm new.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
jimb0b360 said:
Hi there! I have an iPad 2 and I love listening to music on it. I also recently restrung my old electric guitar and started having lessons on it after about a year off settling into a new school. Anyway, I listen to my music through 5 year old speakers, and want something more substantial to listen through, like my brand new vox pathfinder 10 watt guitar amp. So three questions:

1) Would I be able to use the amp as a speaker as long as I play it in clean mode?
2) Would I be able to use the equaliser on the amp to increase bass etc. well if so?
3) The main question for this post: Where can I find an 1/8" to 1/4" patch lead or converter if it would work, to connect the amp and iPad or anything else?

Thanks
Jim -UK

I'm new.

Hi Jim,

We used to run from the headphone socket to a mixing desk then onwards from the mixing desk into the amp however, there is no problem running straight into an amp. Your best bet would be to hit up Maplins, although generally most of their stuff is rubbish they have a great selection of leads. Nothing else required.

You can use the equaliser on the amp to increase bass but remember, all you are doing with equalisers, effects boxes, etc is distorting the original signal......so, the quality of the original signal becomes worse and worse as you run it through each interface but for what you require it should be fine.

There are iPad interfaces for electric guitars, such as the iRig and (I think) Amplitude, it might be worth checking them out.

The Archangel

Most reactions