What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Peripheral Device Driver

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have tried to pair my iPad with my Dell PC and have received an error message about the Peripheral Device Driver is not installed.

Where do I find this file to download and install? Thanks

Reaction score
Which Windows version are you using on the laptop?

Windows Vista&7 should automatically install the necessary iPad drivers, when you connect the iPad to the laptop, so should XP 32-bit. Only XP 64-bit should give trouble.

Another question: Through which means are you connecting the iPad: Bluetooth or USB?

OP
L

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for taking the time to answer. I am using W7 and tryingnto connect through BT.

I uninstalled and reinstalled the Widcomm BT software sent to me by Dell. No joy!

Interestingly, I am also am able to pair my Wacom tablet.

Yet, I have paired my mouse, phone, and printer to my computer, and my phone to my iPad.

Reaction score
Pairing an iPad with Windows won't work. The iPad's bluetooth is fairly restricted and it can't be used for things, such as file transfer. In general, the iPad bluetooth can only be used for connecting a keyboard and headphones, pretty much everything else won't work.

Unless you have another iOS device, then you could also use bluetooth to play games, share files, etc.

Last edited:
OP
L

Luvntravln

iPF Noob
Reaction score
In general, the iPad bluetooth can only be used for connection a keyboard and headphones, pretty much everything else won't work.

Good to know ~

What was the OP trying to use it for?

To sync the iPad with my computer instead of using a USB cord. If it worked I could permanently have my iPad and computer paired.

Reaction score
Luvntravln said:
To sync the iPad with my computer instead of using a USB cord. If it worked I could permanently have my iPad and computer paired.

The iPad's bluetooth is restricted and syncing via Bluetooth is not among the things that are supported, you will have to do that by using the usb cable.

Once a jailbreak comes out for iPad 2, you could use Wifi-Sync to sync the iPad via Wifi, or over 3g. This would let you keep the iPad always synchronized.

Most reactions

Latest posts