What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maberib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Every time I see "sandbox", all I think of is preschool. :D

It doesn't feel too far off -- seeing as how while we're within Apple's sandbox they get to tell us how to play with our toys...

Edit: now it's back to the ski hill picture. Seems like he's playing with something on his website!

I'm giddy. Can you tell?

Last edited:

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really can't see @comex taking down his jailbreakme.com site just for a joke. I think he will be updating that site very soon for iPad 2 JB for all firmwares 4.3 to 4.3.x. Why do you think he asked for those files and if you look for one of the tweets he has them all for iPad 2. 4.3, 4.3.1, 4.3.2 and 4.3.3. For iPad 2 WiFi and 3G (GSM and CDMA)

Yep I agree..and you will also notice that he already had the 4.3.3 WiFi files so he did not need those which means his iPad 2 already has 4.3.3 on it..I think jailbreakme.com will be much easier to use then other jailbreaks..at this point whatever he releases to make the iPad 2 jailbreakable I will be happy with

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
I suppose I probably need to some reading on how one actually implements a sandbox. I would have thought that privileges would be set in such a way that there would be no overflowing to anything outside of that application's allotted space.

Also, Jailbreakme.com now redirects my iPad 2 to Jailbreakme.com/star which is the old site, and tells me that my "version is too new".

Don't confuse Apples sandbox approach to apps with the discussion on jailbreaking. It's not really the same thing...

And of course everything is coded to stop you getting elevated privileges and keep you in the "sandbox". BUT, with a bug and a way to exploit it in the appropriate way, all bets are off. If they weren't you could never jailbreak, could you? You can only keep control over applications if they behave in the way you predict. When there is a bug, it becomes unpredictable, therefore potentially exploitable. That does not mean that every bug is a jailbreak waiting to happen. That's where the genius skill of the jailbreak developers comes into it's own. Exploiting the bug is the real magic and it's something to be marvelled at by us mere mortals :)

Last edited:

Maberib

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Do the pre-installed, Apple apps run with different privileges than Appstore apps? Is that relevant to that type of attack?

ColemanLee09

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Did you guys see comex's new jailbreakme tease possibly for the iPad 2?! Check out his updated site at jailbreakme.com !

Sent from my iPad 2 using iPF.

sutty0000

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the daemons and such are running as root, and some of Apple's apps have more "entitlements" than the average app.

So is it official? @comex iPad 2 JB is coming soon! Having you here @Musclenerd, a member of the iPhone dev team is a true privilege :)

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Some of the daemons and such are running as root, and some of Apple's apps have more "entitlements" than the average app.

Musclenerd thank you so much for coming here and posting. I know you can't reveal TOO Much info but does Comex's tweets mean that the iPad 2 jailbreak is just around the corner and it will work with 4.3.3(The latest firmware) my iPad 2 is being delivered on Thursday I am SO excited to think I will be able to jailbreak it by then :)

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Lakerfanalways said:
Musclenerd thank you so much for coming here and posting. I know you can't reveal TOO Much info but does Comex's tweets mean that the iPad 2 jailbreak is just around the corner and it will work with 4.3.3(The latest firmware) my iPad 2 is being delivered on Thursday I am SO excited to think I will be able to jailbreak it by then :)

And you're not asking him to reveal "too much", LOL :D

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Finally!!!!!
Finally something really interesting is happening here :D

Lakerfanalways

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lakerfanalways said:

And you're not asking him to reveal "too much", LOL :D

Well hey Im not asking for a specific date LOL just asking if it will work on 4.3.3

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions