What's new
Apple iPad Forum

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Official iPad2 Jailbreak Chat Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Joined
Sep 13, 2010
Messages
530
Reaction score
9
Location
The Netherlands
Poser said:
http://twitter.com/#!/MuscleNerd@MuscleNerdMuscleNerd

Not too surprising, but can now confirm that the iPad2 and iPhone4S bootrom are the same version iBoot-838.3twitpic.com/70bno4

bile (@nitoTV)
15-10-11 00:15
@MuscleNerd now if only we could get the damn thing dumped!!!!

MuscleNerd (@MuscleNerd)
15-10-11 00:32
@nitoTV about that .... :)

What would he mean by "about that .... :)"?

veeence (@veeence)
15-10-11 11:32
I think @MuscleNerd may have found a way to dump the bootrom of the A5 chip, which is actually big news.

Paul Pols (@paulpols)
15-10-11 11:33
@veeence that's how I read the "about that … :)" as well

That would be great....
 

iRager

iPF Novice
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
376
Reaction score
18
Location
Sydney
RudyL90 said:
veeence (@veeence)
15-10-11 11:32
I think @MuscleNerd may have found a way to dump the bootrom of the A5 chip, which is actually big news.
This would be huge, waiting on my 4S to arrive, so would love for the A5 to be dumped by the time it comes
 

nesh

iPF Noob
Joined
Oct 10, 2011
Messages
13
Reaction score
0
iRager said:
This would be huge, waiting on my 4S to arrive, so would love for the A5 to be dumped by the time it comes

Cheers both you guys...
 

keyblade

iPF Noob
Joined
Mar 10, 2011
Messages
27
Reaction score
2
Location
Pittsburgh, PA
I've tried just about everything I can think of.

TinyUmbrella doesn't recognize that my iPad is connected, but iTunes does. Java is updated, I'm running the most recent release of both iTunes and TinyUmbrella. I manually got my ECID and downloaded the SHSH blobs from Cydia and Apple, but if I ever wanted to restore them I couldn't...because it doesn't recognize my iPad. :p Any help before I give iOS5 a shot? I don't want to "upgrade" if I can't "downgrade" back to jailbreak.

Figured it would be useful to say I'm on Win7 64-bit.
 

bat0nas

iPF Novice
Joined
Apr 16, 2011
Messages
227
Reaction score
1
Hi,
Correct me if I'm wrong, but p0sixninja announced a month ago that he have found 5 exploits (which are supposed to be working on any device) in iOS5 beta.
Any news about this? If it's true about what he have announced, how long (just make a guess) it will take to develop and test a JB?
 

brrip

iPF Noob
Joined
Aug 6, 2010
Messages
201
Reaction score
3
If a bootrom exploit is even suspected, they will not use the userland exploits if they can avoid it. For most of us it's about having a jailbreak now. For the dev team, it's about still having one 2 years from now.

As for me personally, just hand over the jailbreak now! :)
 

hazeline

iPF Noob
Joined
Oct 18, 2011
Messages
5
Reaction score
0
I'm a newbie to this forum (just signed up today) and I've gone through some of the JB threads and stickies in the forum. I understand that if I don't have SHSH saved for 4.3.3, there is NO way to JB iPad2. And I have an iPad2 with the very original FW version 4.3. And I know the latest IOS is IOS5.

Here's my question tho. Should I go ahead upgrade my ipad2 to IOS5 and wait for IOS5 JB or stay with 4.3 and see? I was actually waiting for JB for 4.x.x version but somehow missed 4.3.3 when Apple was still signing. If I don't upgrade to IOS5, my worry is that I may well miss IOS5 JB again.

Please advise! thanks
 

iRager

iPF Novice
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
376
Reaction score
18
Location
Sydney
hazeline said:
I'm a newbie to this forum (just signed up today) and I've gone through some of the JB threads and stickies in the forum. I understand that if I don't have SHSH saved for 4.3.3, there is NO way to JB iPad2. And I have an iPad2 with the very original FW version 4.3. And I know the latest IOS is IOS5.

Here's my question tho. Should I go ahead upgrade my ipad2 to IOS5 and wait for IOS5 JB or stay with 4.3 and see? I was actually waiting for JB for 4.x.x version but somehow missed 4.3.3 when Apple was still signing. If I don't upgrade to IOS5, my worry is that I may well miss IOS5 JB again.

Please advise! thanks
I'd upgrade if i were you cause i dont see the devs making a jb for anything before ios 5
 

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
7,113
Reaction score
652
Location
Troon, Scotland
The choice of that to do should always be a personal one you take yourself, but here are some comments from me.

Conventional Jailbreaking wisdom says if you don't have the capability to downgrade then ALWAYS stay on the lowest firmware version available to you as that has the potential for having the most exploits which could be found by jailbreakers.

However, 4.3 is as we know an old OS now, and that conventional wisdom was developed during a period when the devices were less secure and more often exploited. If we are to believe the announcements about the Chronic team and their "5" exploits which are being worked on at the moment, then the best place to move to is actually 5.0 and STAY THERE. Do not accept any security updates which Apple may release in the coming days, weeks, and months.

And of course, CHECK BACK HERE EVERY DAY!. Whenever we get credible news it will be posted along with advice as to what users should do to prepare. We did this for iPad2 users on 4.3 when we clearly told everyone a few days before the Jailbreak was released that they should all move to 4.3.3 immediately. Unfortunately, as you know, not everyone paid attention :(

So, the choice is yours, but if I was stuck without a JB on iPad2 at the moment, I would move to 5.0 and stay there without accepting any further updates until I saw some credible JB news on the matter.

Hope that helps.
 

iRager

iPF Novice
Joined
Apr 1, 2011
Messages
376
Reaction score
18
Location
Sydney
Wise words f4780y 

Im sort of in a dilemma (if i can call it that), will be going overseas on saturday for a month and wont have internet access so if it so happens that a jb is released for the ipad 2 for ios 5 similar to that of 4.3.3. I may miss any window to upgrade and jb.

So i am actually considering upgrading now and hopefully by the time i get back a jb is released.
 

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Joined
Sep 11, 2010
Messages
7,113
Reaction score
652
Location
Troon, Scotland
iRager said:
Wise words f4780y 

Im sort of in a dilemma (if i can call it that), will be going overseas on saturday for a month and wont have internet access so if it so happens that a jb is released for the ipad 2 for ios 5 similar to that of 4.3.3. I may miss any window to upgrade and jb.

So i am actually considering upgrading now and hopefully by the time i get back a jb is released.

OK. Honest advice, but YMMV, if you don't have a jailbreak, upgrade to 5.0 now. The jailbreak will be userland based so will most likely be executed on the iPad itself just like jbme.com. We don't have a bootrom exploit for the A5 yet, and so it won't be done using a tool like redsn0w which relies on pwning the boot process. That said, I also think we will be very lucky to see a new JB within a month :(

That's my view. You do what you feel is right for you... :)
 

RudyL90

iPF Noob
Joined
Sep 13, 2010
Messages
530
Reaction score
9
Location
The Netherlands
Whoa! Within a month you say? Hmm... I think will be downgrade back to 4.3.3 than. :)
I am missing my jailbreak already :(
 
Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts

Top