What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observations after two days w/ 3G

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
1. Now that I have had my iPad for two days I realize that I really want multitasking of third party apps. Thank goodness apple came to their senses and have enabled this feature in os4.

2. I find that I do not care that it does not have a camera. Of course I would love the ability to use one of those barcode scanners to comparison shop.

3. It takes a bit of getting used to regarding positioning the Ipad for use.

4. The Apple case has eliminated my need for all other extras (dock, etc).

5. The included cable sure is short.

6. A big part of this journey was the wait. Kind of miss the support group and constant ordering page refresh.

7. I am really concerned about the or damage from a small fall.

8. My kids need a job so they can get their own Ipad.

9. I am a lifelong weightlifter but I will be damned if this is not one of the heaviest 1.5 lbs I ever felt. Reading requires some type of prop.

10. This thing has increased my monthly out put by $30.

11. I love it.

What have you guys noticed?

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed that 250mb of data isn't very much. Glad I bought the unlimited plan.

0002S

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've noticed:

That holding it requires some getting use to, but not bad once you get it.

Going to Starbucks with it becomes a question and answer session rather than a cup of coffee and a good read.

Using the iPhone as a hotspot has doubled the usefulness at half the price.

I don't need a net book anymore (sold two of them)

Who new I loved comics so much

I really find myself using this for my business (a lot more than I imagined)

iWorks really is a good office suit (although it does have its limitations)

AirVideo, Good Reader, Connect, Early Edition, MLB, iWorks are must have apps.

There are WAY too many case choices.

BT keyboard is a must for any prolonged typing.

Portrait keyboard is fast once you get use to it.

I should have bought Apple stock in the 80's.

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
1) I don't really miss the multitasking, but I wish the safari browser had tabs. Going back to that other screen is a pain.

2) I don't mind not having the camera, although I think I should have bought the camera kit.

3) I don't have a problem positioning it. This morning while eat breakfast, I rolled up a hand towel and propped it up on that.

4) I bought a cheap neoprene case from Amazon. It's ok, but I am looking for something better.

5) The included cable is extremely short. Monoprice.com has 6 foot cords for $1.58. I will probably buy one of those.

6) Were going to look back to the wait with fond memories I'm sure.

7) Any kind of fall scares me! I want to get one of those cases that fit's snuggly around the iPad. I like the otterbox cases they have for iPhones, but they won't be out for iPad until the summer :(

8) Sharing with the kids is a hassle. I should never installed games :(

I am really happy with the iPad so far.

cgamatco

iPF Noob
Reaction score
No issue with positioning, got the Apple case, like that it makes a triangle, almost the perfect position on my lap. Or, with my legs crossed the cover is heavy enough when folded over my knee it stays in position. Typing is difficult, but I'm still getting used to it. Definitely geared to short messages rather than long replies. The cover is good, but still scared of scratching the surface, so i've ordered a Zagg screen protector.

Superbike81

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with you guys on the typing, I take all my school notes on it, which equates to about 4-5 pages double spaced per 3 hour class. I do it all using the Apple case, and I have no problems. I understand you guys got the 3G and have only had it a couple days, but give the keyboard time, you'll get used to it. I now type at about 80% of the speed that I do on a regular keyboard, fine by me.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have to respectfully disagree with you guys on the typing, I take all my school notes on it, which equates to about 4-5 pages double spaced per 3 hour class. I do it all using the Apple case, and I have no problems. I understand you guys got the 3G and have only had it a couple days, but give the keyboard time, you'll get used to it. I now type at about 80% of the speed that I do on a regular keyboard, fine by me.

Ditto. It took some practice, but I'm almost as fast as a physical keyboard. Still output the same old drivel, though.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My turn:

- Feels heavier that I thought it would - but not an issue
- Bought the Square Trade warranty - on sales for $96. It covers drops, cracks and spill damage for 2 years!!!
- Really like the Apple case - if I go with another I may just go with a similar case - like how it stands up.
- Someone let me know when you've worked with ZAG - I'm curious how it fits and feels.
- Typing isn't an issue - no real problem with it.
- I am far more impressed with this than I thought I would be.

JeffMorse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
David,

Re: ZAG - before you take that leap do some research online. Most folks find that the Zag products are too tacky feeling to slide your finger across the screen easily.

I highly suggest PhantomSkinz products. I've had one on my Pre for months and it's fantastic. I had the PS installed at BestBuy, where they sell ZAG products and the installer commented that the PS was a much nicer product. Cheaper too.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if anyone has a MacBook, but it looks like the long cord plug adapter would work on the iPad charger. I plan on trying using mine someday. However, I can see a need to get an extra cord.

I love the iPad, and have the feeling that I can type as fast, or close to my keyboard speed, one handed on the iPad.

I am really going to have to watch my desire to buy movies and books to watch on this.

My niece who works for AT&T won't cut me a special deal on my 3G service. I think she is jealous.

I would prefer the headset plug to be on the other end.

dmittleman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My turn now. Bought the 3g at 6:15 Friday; the apple store had only four left after 75 minutes of sales; one by the time I walked out the door.

- Bought the Apple cover for the iPad. Very nice; I recommend it.

- Bought a soft tip stylus at the Apple Store as well. I am clipping it to the front of the cover (at the foldback bend - look at the cover and this will make sense). Am using it, but find I have to press hard to get a connection with it.

- loaded Skype and can make calls on it with WiFi, but not with 3g. The iPad works as a decent speaker phone when there is no background noise. This is an iPhone/iPod app, am looking forward to the iPad native version yet to come.

- Bought a Plantronics bluetooth headset (with mike) at the Apple store. Speakers work just fine with the iPod software, but I haven't been able to get the mike to work with Skype. Also haven't tried a headset through the standard jack connection.

- Am finding I am spending 75% of my time in landscape mode and much prefer that orientation.

- You can't uninstall the base apps loaded on the iPad. I purchased "PaperDesk" so I no longer need "Notes", but there is no way to delete "Notes".

- The suite of Google apps is inferior to the apps I run on my Blackberry. Hopefully Google is working on this.

- I'm in the camp that finds typing an issue. I was hoping the stylus would help, but it limits me to one stylus pecking. I can't use the docking keyboard as that would require removing the Apple cover (which is a pain to do on a regular basis.) So, eventually, I will get a bluetooth keyboard.

- I've used a free remote desktop (RDP Lite) tool which gives me a beautiful view of my office desktop, but is useless to me as I use a left handed mouse and the one touch iPad interface is 2nd button clicking everything. I have to research the paid options to find out if I can swap button functionality in the remote desktop interface.

- I have not yet successfully sent an SMS message, but am endeavoring to do so.

-As with David above, I am far more impressed with the iPad than I thought I would be. I've been reading the pro/con blogs for months now. Having used the device for two days I can say:

a. I will use the iPad for work much more than I thought I would (I expected it to primarily be commuting and airplane company) However, I now anticipate it going to meetings with me on a regular basis. I've synched my work calendar and email; I can browse the web - so this has most of the tools I need.

b. Whether it is the iPad or some future competitor that comes along, this form factor is here with us to stay. It is an incredibly powerful and useful form factor. The smartphone devices simply have too small an interface to do many useful things well (but they have their niche as they do many other useful things well). This is not going to replace laptops (though I would not invest in "netbook" stock today), but it is going to stick and to grow. This is a form factor almost everybody is going to have five years from now.

Last edited:

4phun

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I noticed the 3G iPad uses the cellular assist in speeding up GPS even if you have not activated 3G data.

The GPS is more accurate and the same program is faster on the iPad compared to the 3GS. The large screen makes a killer display while driving with the NavGon Map.

Internet radio is very loud and this iPad in the Apple case makes a reasonable replacement for scanner or ham radio receiver, it is as loud as they are.

I noticed the iPad maps app drops a pin if you double tap on it. There is a flag to the right of the pin that gives more information and choices. You can move the pin around with double taps.

I have a number of applications that do more than one task at the same time which makes official multitasking less of an urgent deal. They can share the screen or take over all of the screen.

I have been looking at apps and deleting all but the best in certain categories. I am not impressed by so called dual iphone/ipad apps that run the iPad view in 2x. I consider them crap if there is a decent iPad app so they get deleted!

Nashville is under water and I have been following it for hours. They just had an alert warning personal not to wear bunker pants in water rescue operations. Well duh!

Many lives impacted in Nashville do to high tech. Nashville Fire EMS whom I am listening to can not easily communicate with out side agencies using old VHF radio. This communications gap is affecting boat crews and others lending a hand. Just had an MVA off Interstate 40 and the vehicles are upside down in the water with victims inside. Be glad you do not live in Tennessee today.

Last edited:

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My sister lives in Murfreesboro, so I imagine they are not having a fun time.

brhon

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The typing will get much easier as you use it more. The only issues with typing in my opinion is having the punctuation keys on a different screen. The auto word correction is awesome and will let you go faster. There is a
Typing app that will help.

Most reactions

Latest posts