What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Observations after two days w/ 3G

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well I said "almost" everything and I haven't needed to print anything since I got it. Have been looking at the printing apps but none of them seem to get great reviews, so am holding off on trying any of them.

cherhall

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ARDOTBEE said:
What I've noticed is the 250 mb can really wither within a good use of the iPad under the 3G service!! I used 150 mb in a 2 hour span.. Unlimited data is definitely worth the extra 15 dollars!! With that said I'm in love with the iPad..
Funny you say you're in love with it. The first IM I sent on it was to my sister-in-law and it said "I think I'm in love!!" lol

CPMS

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spend half my frickin time hitting the wrong buttons and pushing "back". It takes longer to do everything on the iPad, except check email and read news articles. I find myself relieved to get back on the laptop and not have to deal with touch screen (pinch, zoom, scroll, type, magnifying glass, etc). And now I force myself to use iPad, so I don't feel like I wasted $777 dollars on another gadget I didn't need in the first place.

Basically, it's a really great reader. A laptop is more appropriate for every other computing need.

I understand your frustration with the ipad's on screen keyboard, it takes a while to get used to. My 17" Macbook Pro is with Apple right now for a display issue so I'm trying to use my iPad for work (I do have a spare macbook pro) and the best thing I've done is connect my bluetooth keyboard for typing. Try it, it works well. Additionally, once I got used to the touch screen interface versus mouse/pointer I really started liking it.

Like everyone else has said, you probably won't have any issues unloading your iPad. You may even be able to take it to an Apple retail store for a full refund (if you're in the two week return period) and avoid the ebay/craigslist hassles. I do suggest you give it some time though. Try the bluetooth keyboard (this assumes you have one laying around). Give the on-board keyboard some time too, it takes a bit getting used to (don't try touch typing like a conventional keyboard you'll drive yourself nuts).

Good luck ...

traylorc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I spend half my frickin time hitting the wrong buttons and pushing "back". It takes longer to do everything on the iPad, except check email and read news articles. I find myself relieved to get back on the laptop and not have to deal with touch screen (pinch, zoom, scroll, type, magnifying glass, etc). And now I force myself to use iPad, so I don't feel like I wasted $777 dollars on another gadget I didn't need in the first place.

Basically, it's a really great reader. A laptop is more appropriate for every other computing need.

Thankfully I have not experienced any of the issues you have described. Using the ipad seems very intuitive and easy in my opinion. Guess it's not for you....

Dragonrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I like the Apple cover - although it is pricy for what you get.

With the cover on, it fits into my St Georges zippered folio, for the best of all worlds - although I would like an integrated folio...

I have installed the iWork package, the bluetooth printing app, the PDF reader, molecules, and my one and only game, Chopper. Subsequently, I have sold my MacAir, my Kindle, and all the adaptors I had to travel with.

I have been able to reduce the monthly iPhone bill by more than the cost of the unlimited package, and may actually drop the iPhone all together. This really is the business traveler's dream - and you can leave it in your bag at security!!

OS4 will only make it better

Finnedog

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Back to Traylorc

Obviously is not such a magical device for you.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am sorry for your experience, but I feel that the fault is not with the iPad, but with yourself. Not attacking you, but too many are enjoying their experience with their iPads. My sympathy is with you.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score

In the words of the late RFK - 'Some men see things as they are and say why. I dream things that never were and say why not.

tavroy - you are holding a revolution in your hands - the beginning of the start of the next millennium in communications. The stuff you'll see in the real Star Trek - begins here!

I'm not sure what background you have in computing and technology - but it's OK! You should sell your iPad and move back to your laptop / netbook. Those of us who see the vision, the hope the dream of the future - we'll carry the torch - we'll wait in lines for the next latest and greatest - who knows - maybe one of us will become the next Gates or Jobs.

It's all about expanding your horizons and envisioning how the world looks in the future - not based upon how your interpretation of how it looked in the past.

Peace!

DanaTheEwok

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Back to Traylorc

Today my husband and I both purcahsed the Pogo schetch (wand) from the Apple store. I think that is what it is called. We use this instead of our fingers and it is wonderful. The only time I have problems with it is typing with it. It does not seem to like the space bar. But both of us kept hitting the wrong keys with our fingers.

DavidNM

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Back to Traylorc

Today my husband and I both purcahsed the Pogo schetch (wand) from the Apple store. I think that is what it is called. We use this instead of our fingers and it is wonderful. The only time I have problems with it is typing with it. It does not seem to like the space bar. But both of us kept hitting the wrong keys with our fingers.

Do you folks feel that you have to push too hard to get the pen to connect?

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score

Do you folks feel that you have to push too hard to get the pen to connect?

Not at all. I made my own Pogo (instructions on the accessories topics) and it actually works a lot better than the actual Pogo stick..

Last edited:

iceman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have wanted a tablet computer like this for many years, and the iPad has exceeded my expectations. My only regret is that I didn't buy 2 and eBay the other at a huge profit :)

write-stuff

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.richarddawkins.net
Still waiting on my 3G, but I've been using the wifi version for over a month. I really like the touch interface and screen size. My main complaint is that the thing is kinda hard to hold on to. I find myself trying not to touch the glass too much when I carry it around, but because of the sloping back, I've had several really close calls, coming dangerously close to dropping it. Propping it up on a pillow on your stomach seems to be a pretty good way of using it.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think that a case....just about any case...is essential when carrying the iPad. I agree that losing your grip on it is entirely too likely.

OP
L

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
My most current observation is that I now find the iPad difficult to hold without the case. It feels heavier without the case, presumably because I have to grip it harder. I am not a big fan of the rounded back, much prefer flat.

Most reactions

Latest posts