What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Screen scratch or hairline crack?!

Elziebbe1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Okay so my mum got me the shiny new iPad 3 for my birthday and I have been so careful. The back is in pristine condition because I have a lovely case that works wonderfully for me.

However, I was using my iPad the other day, when I noticed something. When you have a drop of water on any screen you see lots of the pixels magnified right? So when I looked down I could see a little line of pixels or whatever that looked odd. I ran my finger over them very gently and to my horror i could feel a scratch. It feels quite deep in one particular place and I swear it appears to be spreading. Having taken a good look, there is one main long scratch with a few bits along it that look really bad and those bits can be seen (and felt) when the ipad is on and illuminated.

I am beginning to wonder if it is just a really deep scratch or a crack. I have no idea how though. I have never dropped it and as I said, the case is a good one - It's pretty rugged. I am so upset about this. Mum dosen't know yet. I haven't the heart to tell her.

Any thoughts or advice? It wouldn't bother me if it was a scratch but it feels much much worse, looks like more than just a scratch and Is quite visible. (possibly because the screen is so good...) It also feels like that putting any form of stress, no matter how minute, on it may damage it further!

I can't easily get to an apple store. The nearest one is like an hours drive away. I have no clues about whether or not is covered by warranty but seeing as I have had it only 34 days is there anything that I can do?

Any help is massively appreciated.

Thanks

X x x

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If there was no sign of an impact, then you might be able to argue that the screen was/is defective. Do you not see any sign of the screen hitting or being hit by something hard or sharp?

Keep it perfect and make the drive.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
If there was no sign of an impact, then you might be able to argue that the screen was/is defective. Do you not see any sign of the screen hitting or being hit by something hard or sharp?

Keep it perfect and make the drive.

AQ is dead on. To the apple store you go...each day you wait reduces the now likely result of being given a newiPad.

OP
E

Elziebbe1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Nope. Absoloutley no sign of impact. There is no central point where it stems from either. It goes widthways along. I guess parts of the line looks like scratch and is barely visible But those a couple of patches where it looks like a tiny stone could have gotten in and cracked it or scratched it. (sort of.) I guess I will have to face mum and get her to take me up there. I am so going to be grounded... :(

There is also a second tiny one below this one that I hadn't noticed (being so obsessed with the big one...) I shall back everything up and things and see if I can get to my nearest store in the next month... (the problem is fitting it in around sixth form and work is next to impossible) but I can't believe my baby is already damaged... :'( at least it still works though.

Tbh, even if they just diagnose it as a scratch not a crack it will all be ok. But until I know otherwise, it is a crack and I am going to protect it with my life...

exile

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Elziebbe1 said:
...I am so going to be grounded... :(

That's hilarious. I have a very faint, hairline stratch on mine. Got to look at the screen at a certain angle to see it. Not noticeable though with the screen on or off.

What aq_oc said. If you just got it, take it back and do an exchange.

Most reactions

Latest posts