What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

jambalayaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to this site. I have some basic security question about the i Pad 2. If a person received a brand new iPad 2 (STILL WRAPPED IN PLASTIC) in the mail with no paperwork, totally unexpected, with no follow up correspondence from anyone.... what is the possibility that someone has installed hidden files that would somehow track and forward any information that is put into the device and then forward it to another computer? I need some tips on how to find any such hidden files/programs on a new iPad 2.

HELP

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi Jamba...I think I would be jumping for joy if I received an ipad from an anonymous sender. Really, if that is true--how strange, but generous. I could understand your question and concern. Unfortunately, I do not have an answer for you. Are you sure it was delivered to the right address?

Anyhow: Hello everybody--Wow, since I last visited this thread (last nite)--there are 6 more new members!!

Hello to Everybody:

Welcome to the iPadForum! This forum is loaded with invaluable information which contain topics including: General Discussion of the iPad, iPad Operating System, iPad App Store, Accessories, and Ipad for Business and Education.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country. See here:Regional iPad Groups

If you have not already done so, please take a moment to download the iPad Manual User Guide iOS 5. This is extremely helpful if you are new to the iPad world.
http://manuals.info.apple.com/en_US/ipad_user_guide.pdf

Finally, please take the time to read the Forum Rules:
Forum rules - everybody please read!!

Best Wishes and Enjoy!

OP
J

jambalayaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is a long story about the ipad that was delivered to me. I have tried to contact the person who's name and address was on the return address with no luck. I have contacted the police department in the city where the unit was mailed from.... they could not find out anything. I contacted Apple and they could only tell me that it was sold at a Best Buy. I have filed a Fraud Case with Best Buy but they have never responded back. So......... I now have a new iPad 2 WiFi 3G 64GB unit for nothing.

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow--that doesn't happen everyday does it? It sounds like you did all of your background checks as best as you could.

Well, lucky for you for getting an ipad for free and unlucky for the person who left town without it.

Best wishes and enjoy.

OP
J

jambalayaman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
But back to my question. Freebird4ever says that it is not possible for someone to put "tracking" files/programs on the iPad 2, so should I be worried or not. Is there an easy way to see hidden files? Even if there is, how would I know what are suspect files?

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Perhaps Freebird can elaborate, or another member to help you with this question. I am not sure if you can do even do that with a stock ipad. Maybe it can be done with an iPad that is jailbroken, but I will leave that to the members that are experts in that area.

Have you already registered your ipad and get it working?

Good luck.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
If you are really worried about it, simply do a Restore via iTunes.

Actually, unless the iPad arrives in a default setup state (either asking you setup questions or with a picture of iTunes and a USB cable), then you should do this anyway.

Unless you've got some NSA job or are otherwise worth the immense trouble it would take create a special hardware hacked iPad for, on the off chance you would use it and enter critical information; I'd just enjoy the iPad. It sounds like you've fulfilled your obligations as a citizen to return it, though I'd ask the Police first just to make sure you are not in violation of some obscure law or regulation. Some states have lost and found laws, and I'm not sure if they apply to mail or other parcel services.

Most reactions

Latest posts