What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New IPAD2 Owner - Should I Jailbreak?

Horaciofd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi everyone, as I mentioned in the title I'm a new owner of an IPAD 2 and wondering for some help and suggestions whether make sence to Jailbreak or not.

I'm expecting to use the Ipad for mails, working with Word, excel and ppt files. Webbrosing, Pictures, skype and some games.

Woud it make sence to do the jailbreak? Is there any version of the pages and equivalent Apps for free with this? or I still will have to pay for them?

How about the camera connection kit that I have? I've seen in some places that after the Jailbreak it doesn't work any more? Or is the contrary and I'll be able to use it more freely and making easier entering files on the IPAD?

ANy support and suggestions you can give me will be HIGHLY apreciated. As you can see I'm new in the Jailbreak options and would like to understand better.
Thanks in advance.
BR

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums. You've landed in the right spot as regards jailbreaking.

But first a word of warning. No chat about getting apps for free. That's piracy. Jailbreaking does not mean piracy. It's just a way to enhance your iPad to do more than it can today. Check the links in my sig for our rules on the subject.

Now, first question is do you have 4.3.3 installed on your iPad2. If so, you can jailbreak it, if not your are out of luck I'm afraid. 4.3.3 is the only iPad2 OS that can be jailbroken at this time.

If you do have 4.3.3, then head over to jailbreakme.com on your Safari browser ON THE IPAD. This will have you jailbroken in seconds.

Have a poke around our sticky threads and sub-forums, particularly the apps / tweaks and themes sections for lots of ideas on what you can do.

Yes, if you have a CCK, you can use the JB app called iFile as a file manager and use external storage devices, such as SD cards to your hearts content. JB does not break the CCK. It only makes it more useful.

Start here if you like - http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/2838-jailbreak-explained-new-updated-2011-a.html

then

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak-applications-tweaks/25824-ultimate-list-jailbreak-tweaks.html

Happy hacking!

OP
H

Horaciofd

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the quick answer and advise on my mistake (won't happen again).
And yes, I do have the IPAD on 4.3.3.
I'll read your suggestions now.
BR

Wookiee2cu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would, there are so many tweaks & apps in Cydia it's crazy. Apps that Apple will not allow for whatever reason tend to be available in Cydia so once you JailBreake you essentially now have 2 app stores available to you. So far my most useful app from Cydia is the 5 row keyboard.

ehochuli

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am new to the forum and appreciate everyone's insight and assistance.

As for jail breaking - can I with 4.3.4? (I still have iPad 1 and waiting for 3 to come out before upgrading).

Also, is there a program that allows me to text / SMS from my iPad using my iPhone 4 phone number? I don't want a second number. I just want to be able to send and receive from either my iPhone or my iPad.

Thanks!

biller007

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you jailbreak be careful what Cydia tweaks u install. Without the shsh blobs you can't restore the iPad without upgrading. Do your research or ask in here before installing. The only 2 times I've had to restore my iPad was after I got app happy on Cydia tweaks lol.

Most reactions

Latest posts