What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Newbie QQ - jailbreak + flashdrive to store...

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hello!

I'm a newbie and need your help with steps on how to jailbreak so I could save files, photos, etc. on flash drive or memory SD (camera) card? Do I need to get the camera connecting kit as mentioned in some threads to make this work?

Please explain in real easy layman's terms as I'm not quite tech reader.

Thanks! :)

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Dale_b,

Thanks for your reply. I feel like an idiot 'cuz I forgot to mention that it's iPad I wanna jailbreak into :eek: . I'm not sure what the os firmware is yet 'cuz I just ordered the refurb ipad 16gb/wifi/3G and awaiting its arrival. I checked for the os and it looks like it's os 4 if not previous version installed. Do you have the instructions for iPad or is it the same as iPhone if the os is the same version? Please advise.

Thanks again!

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the link!

I hate to ask a dumb question but what's "tethered" and how is it significant if any? Could I get it untethered somehow if any? And what's the difference(s) between them?

Thanks again!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, the newest version of jailbreak for iPad is redsnow, here is instructions, this will unlock your iPad too just incase you even need/want to use a different network provider.
This is still a tethered jb so be warned, it is a pain in the ars but if your on 4.2.1 then this is your only option atm.
How to Update iPhone 3GS / 3G Baseband to 06.15.00 with Redsn0w 0.9.6b5 for iOS 4.2.1 Unlock - SiNfuL iPhone
What relevance does that link have here??? It is to install the iPad's 3.2.2 baseband on an IPHONE... not iPad. I would be very careful trying that on an iPad.

More importantly... why? The iPad is already unlocked. No need to do a thing. See here, within the first 20 seconds of video, Jobs explains that it will be unlocked. And it is.
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ToXqDSc-8H0[/ame]

Michael

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Michael, for clarification! Are there any links you'd suggest that caters to jailbreak iPad for memory drive/flash drive to store files and photos?

Thanks again!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks, Michael, for clarification! Are there any links you'd suggest that caters to jailbreak iPad for memory drive/flash drive to store files and photos?

Thanks again!

The standard jailbreak will be fine, although it is tethered--don't reboot it out in the field.

But you will want a cydia app to better see the drive. iFile should be one your list.

Michael

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If no trouble, can you kindly point me to the right direction to get the standard jailbreak file?

I'll rem not to reboot it out of home. Thanks for the tip!

Will look for the iFile.

Thanks again!

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P.S. the current version is 3.2.2, should I update it to latest version of 4.2.1 before jailbreaking it? Please advise.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well 4.2.1 is the current version. But the jailbreak is tethered. The jailbreak for 3.2.2 is not tethered. What you should do though is save your SHSH blobs for 3.2.2 while you still can just to be safe. Download TinyUmbrella and use that to save your SHSH blobs. If you don't do that you can't go back to an earlier firmware when Apple stops signing it.... any day now for 3.2.2.

The Firmware Umbrella - TinyUmbrella

Michael

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SHSH blobs? What are they? (Sorry to ask more QQs...I'm still tech idiot and newbie) I checked the TinyUmbrella but the only link on the list is for iPad 4.2.1, not earlier versions (I didn't click on it though 'cuz I think it's downloading link?). So how do I find the SHSH blobs to save for 3.2.2? Do I save them first before jailbreak or is it after I jailbreak then save them? If it's possible, please provide the steps. Anyhow, I'd use the 3.2.2 for untethered for now until the genius cracks the 4.2.1 thing to make it untethered, too. Once again, thanks for your patience and help!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SHSH blobs are unique to your device. When restoring your device iTunes phones home to make sure your device is OK... and you happily restore. But once Apple stops signing a given firmware that "phone home" will fail and you cannot go back to earlier version. Saving the SHSH blobs allows you to fool iTunes into thinking it is phoning home when in fact it is not. It basically preserves your ability to go back.

You can save the SHSH blobs for 3.2.2 by simply running TinyUmbrella, clicking on your iPad on the left, and then clicking Save SHSH on the right. You should do this now no matter what. Any day now Apple will stop signing 3.2.2.

As for the jailbreak, many people do not like it being tethered so are staying on jailbroken 3.2.2. I don't mind the tether as I rarely need to reboot my iPad. So I am running 4.2.1 and it is jailbroken. I would never do a tethered jailbreak on my iPhone though.

How to do the jailbreak differs greatly for 3.2.2 and 4.2.1.

Michael

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I discovered that Apple stopped signing 3.2.2 (I guess I'm too late) so the only SHSHs I have saved are 4.2.1 and 4.2b3. The only concern I have regarding 4.2.1. jailbroken is TinyUmbrella cannot kick me out of recovery 'cuz of something that Apple did to prevent me from returning to original factory settings (wipe out all the traces of jailbreaking). Am I wrong about that? Please clarify about that. Thanks!

OP
A

ASLazz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, another thing - on the settings menu (TinyUmbrella), it says "Set Hosts to Cydia on Exit (if you need a clean restore from Apple uncheck this box)". What does it mean? If I keep it checked, then I cannot restore the iPad to factory settings which means it's not erasing any traces of jailbreaking codes and lose the warranty? Please advise. Thanks!

Most reactions

Latest posts