What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New ipad user I purchased and ipad 2 for my daughter for school

EMC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can she write her reports on here and when reading can she highlight words to see the definitions thanks

KaiHD

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes, you can write reports and highlight with the Pages app. You have to purchase it from the App Store for $10 before you/your daughter can use it. For the definitions, you will have to wait for an upgrade (iOS 5) coming in the Fall. That upgrade will install a device-wide dictionary available for offline reference.

Last edited:

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The basic iPad doesn't really have any apps (programs) for writing reports. There's a very basic Notes app that you can enter text but that's about all.

For something for writing reports, you really need an 'Office-type' app, such as Apple's Pages.

One of our members carried out a survey of Office apps for his company; you can see his conclusions in this thread...

http://www.ipadforums.net/new-member-introductions-site-assistance/22431-hi-all.html

The Apple iWorks Office suite for the iPad has a set of useful Help pages that show their capabilities here...

Pages is Word compatible and can read .doc and .docx files and save in .doc and .pdf

Keynote is PowerPoint compatible and can read .ppt and .pptx files and save in .ppt and .pdf

Numbers is Excel compatible and can read .xls and .xlsx files and save in .xls and .pdf

http://help.apple.com/iwork/1.3/mobile/interface/index.html#tan724868a9

However, as far as I'm aware none of these apps have the ability to highlight words and then look up their meaning. But there is an excellent free app - the Merriam Webster dictionary app - that you could use. Any word you wanted to know the meaning of in a report you could, say, copy from the Office app - perhaps 'Pages' - and paste it into the dictionary app - and you'd then see the meaning of the word in question.

Don't forget to download the iPad User Guide (it's preloaded into the Safari web browser favourites bar). Welcome to iPad Forum too!!! Don't hesitate to come back with any further questions or follow-up queries - that's what we're here for.

Have fun and I hope your daughter has a great experience with her iPad.

Tim

OP
E

EMC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks I also bought one they are both 32 3G wifi bought at the store the guy that sold it to us tapped on a word and it highlighted and I' m pretty sure it showed us the definition. I haven't looked at the links yet but will soon just thought that this added info. Might help

OP
E

EMC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi anyone know of a way to get something like flash player can't play certain games without it and also can't upload pictures to and from certain website Thanks in advance

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The iPad does not support flash. If you use our search button up top, and enter "flash" you will see tons of options for workarounds.

Most are sluggish and unpredictable ~ so just a wee bit of a warning.:)

wallace

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EMC said:
Hi anyone know of a way to get something like flash player can't play certain games without it and also can't upload pictures to and from certain website Thanks in advance

Yes iswifter app

Reaction score
Splashtop allows access to your computer to get a flicker and freeze free use of Flash on your Ipad. Instead of using the iswifter server, with its quirks , to use Flash it uses your computer. Basically anything she can do on the desktop can be done on the Ipad instead.
My toddler daughter is playing PBS Kids Curious George drawing pictures , using my Ipad, as I write this. PBS Kids games uses Flash and Shockwave

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Last edited:
Reaction score
Tapatalk won't let me add pictures to an existing post, sorry.
I can truly do anything my Windows machine is capable using the Ipad.

Support Our Troops!!
This post was Tapatalk approved. Sent from an Incredible phone

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1307556087613.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1307556087613.jpg
    53.3 KB · Views: 319
  • uploadfromtaptalk1307556110970.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1307556110970.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 287
OP
E

EMC

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks everyone for all the different ideas/solutions that was offered.

iforsakenu

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KaiHD said:
Yes, you can write reports and highlight with the Pages app. You have to purchase it from the App Store for $10 before you/your daughter can use it. For the definitions, you will have to wait for an upgrade (iOS 5) coming in the Fall. That upgrade will install a device-wide dictionary available for offline reference.

Actually, pages has an option when you highlight a word to look up the definition. No need to wait.

ml88

iPF Noob
Reaction score
EMC said:

Download Skyfire :)

Sent from my iPad using iPF app from Philippines

CraigWilly

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just upgraded to iPad 2 still no flash. It wouldn't be hard to do come on apple pull your heads in and just do it stop thinking about the $ you might miss out on if you do. Honestly I don't believe you will go broke over adding a flashdrive.

Most reactions