What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Algebra/Math app that allows user to show steps in solution

ceclc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am a high school Mathematics teacher. One of my students has cerebral palsy and has difficulty with tasks that require fine motor skills. She uses an iPad for a good deal of her work in my class and in her other classes. I have been searching for an app that she can use to show her work as she completes assigned problems. Ideally it would be similar to EQ Editor, but with the added functionality of being able to show multiple steps at a time. There are lots of apps in the App Store that will solve the problem for her, but that's not what I'm looking for at all. I'm hoping that these an app out there that will be helpful, but I haven't been able to find it despite many hours of searching (and purchasing apps that I thought would help, but finding them falling far short of my needs and expectations). Any help would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

OP
C

ceclc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Based on the fact that this post has had 300+ views and no responses I will assume that it is safe to say that no such app exists. Is there any way to make an app suggestion to developers?

OP
C

ceclc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for that suggestion, but based on the description and the screenshots it seems to me like the app itself does the solving. I need an app that will allow the student to show her work involved in a solution (much like other students would show their work using paper and pencil) with an easy-to-use user interface for someone who has challenges with her fine motor skills. I do not want an app that will do the work for her.

darthluke12694

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
ceclc said:
Thanks for that suggestion, but based on the description and the screenshots it seems to me like the app itself does the solving. I need an app that will allow the student to show her work involved in a solution (much like other students would show their work using paper and pencil) with an easy-to-use user interface for someone who has challenges with her fine motor skills. I do not want an app that will do the work for her.

Oh, we'll then don't get that app then. The Wolfram app will solve it for you. But I think that is the best app that is available for solving solutions but also how it is solved. Maybe a note taking app would be better? I don't know of any math notes app. But there are some good regular note taking apps out there but I don't know if that's what your looking for or not. That might be the best you can do though. Take a look at Penultimate. That's what I use for notes. Other then that's, that's all I know. Good luck!

stwebb

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Have you looked at the FUSE Algebra I and II apps as well as the FUSE Gepmetry app (both on iTunes).

OP
C

ceclc

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I was unable to find the FUSE Algebra app. Does it still exist?

MyBookTree

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Pardon my ignorance but what type of algebra problems are we talking about in high school?

I am developing an app for geometry that sort of does what you are mentioning.

megananddan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same problem!!

I also have a student who is very intelligent and has cerebral palsy and I have been looking everywhere for an app that allows him to complete his algebra work on the iPad, I am downloading HMH fuse now but all other options have been a bust...please post if you find a solution and I will share if I find an app.

THANKS!!!

Susan123

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am also looking for such an app for my son who has motor skill difficulties but is good in math, though he is really resisting writing down his steps because it is so hard for him and he thinks it should be okay for him to just do it in his head. Would LOVE to hear about any successes in finding a app that makes its easier to show steps without actually providing the steps for the student.

josephK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone have any updates on this? Same situation here -- 8th grade student with fine motor skills issues. Can't write out math work. Uses school-supplied iPad for most class work, but no one knows of any apps to use to show work in math/algebra. Any recommendations would be appreciated.

megananddan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Panther Math Paper

I found a great app that allows students to enter math problems on the iPad. It is NOT a learning app, it is a math worksheet. It has many adaptations for students with motor skills deficits and is even switch accessible! I love it!

josephK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the recommendation! I passed it along to the technology director at school. Will let them check it out first before I drop the $20 on it. Do the keyboards contain all the different functions and symbols needed for middle school and high school math?

megananddan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes! It has symbols and functions through advanced algebra. I am not a math teacher so I do not know what might be missing but I have had several students use it in high school math classes. I have also found the app company has been very responsive to my questions and suggestions. Good luck!

Most reactions