What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 user - the most frustrating 7 hours of my life.......

Status
Not open for further replies.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
A question about iTunes. When you set it up does it automatically grab all music files it can find and sync them (or for instance just the ones in the Music folder on a PC)? Does iTunes set up give you the opportunity to limit synching to select folders as you go through the setup? I was thinking of keeping only the music in my Music folder that I want synched and moving the rest to another folder. I really don't want to fill up my iPad with all of my music files.

Yes, you can tell it to import as a library all of your music...and you can tell it to not automatically sync with your devices. Then you can go in and select just the music you want on your devices. I have about 90GB of music, so that would totally bust my iPad. These days, since I have a phone too, I keep minimal music on my iPad..and let the phone serve most of my music duties.

Last edited:

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
I'm sure you're brilliant enough to handle an iPad, neighbor. :)

Doesn't take brilliance, just a bit of patience, and understanding that there are sometimes different approaches to getting the same thing done.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
KevinJS said:
Doesn't take brilliance, just a bit of patience, and understanding that there are sometimes different approaches to getting the same thing done.

Agreed.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Last edited by a moderator:

dedication

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple devices never were so big on manuals. Which created a monstor of an industry for iphone/pad manuals. They like to keep their packaging super compact, to make it more "elegant", unfortunately not so good if you're new to Apple.

Midranger4

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I too am still relatively new to the platform.

That being said there are differences in the way certain tasks are accomplished in the iOS world. Some are more efficient and user friendly than Windows while others are not. For me my initial resistance was replaced with curiosity, then determination to learn and become efficient using my iPad.

Once I decided to embrace the platform and get it to do what I wished to accomplish the journey from frustration to satisfaction was relatively short and painless. Being so accustomed to Windows methodologies there were, and still are times, when I spin my wheels trying to do an end around on iOS by seeking out applications that in essence emulate apps from the Windows arena. Sometimes I opt for such apps and other times I ultimately realize the iOS equivalent isn't as bad as my first impression may have been. I personally believe iOS attempts, at times excessively, to simplify tasks to a point where I find the extra steps required waste time and insult my intelligence but I realize I am not the atypical user. The general population needs the dumbing down of certain tasks because their level of exposure is limited and their experience with computers seldom exceeds opening a web browser or email client.

One platform I believe has found the answer and it is the IBM iSeries. There is a setting on ones user profile for assistance level. There are three settings which are beginner, intermediate, and expert. Each step up drastically reduces command prompting, presents screens in more productive, yet what some may feel are more user unfriendly ways but they seriously reduce the number of keystrokes and steps required to perform mundane tasks. Maybe Apple can examine the concept and implement this is some form or fashion so those who need the additional guidance and safeguards have them while those who know the platform, what they need to do and how to best do it efficiently have the freedom to do so while assuming the risks that accompany these freedoms.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It amazes me how much some people try so hard to hate Apple. Software-wise, Apple is more advanced than PC base units, which there are really none out there. When Microsoft comes out with Win 8, we might see a great mobile OS. I doubt it will be all that good for personal tablets, but may have a market for some industries. iOS is derived from Unix, through OSX Darwin foundation. The only other major mobile OS is Android. Android uses a Linux kernel and apps are written in a written in Java, there is no Java Virtual Machine in the platform and Java byte code is not executed. Java classes are compiled into Dalvik executables and run on Dalvik, a specialized virtual machine designed specifically for Android.

The post for Falsafaya was a one and gone, which makes me feel that we have a troll on our hands. We should remind ourselves that we are here for our love of a marvelous device that makes a lot of good things happen. We should not overlook that when outsiders come here to create chaos among us. Discussing the ways to make more great things happen is what we are here for. Arguing about nitpicking little issues does us no good.

vickyp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can't afford reading the whole thread, the only thing I know is that iTunes is hell for me. When I first installed it, I was, like, what's this rocket science for? Where do I start? Why oh why, I just want to put my humble files into the freaking device...

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Can't afford reading the whole thread, the only thing I know is that iTunes is hell for me. When I first installed it, I was, like, what's this rocket science for? Where do I start? Why oh why, I just want to put my humble files into the freaking device...

You are not alone....

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Apple devices never were so big on manuals. Which created a monstor of an industry for iphone/pad manuals. They like to keep their packaging super compact, to make it more "elegant", unfortunately not so good if you're new to Apple.

Not writing manuals creates a third-party space. Frankly, I like it this way...because the third=parties typically do a better job because they have competition, as well as a strong "like" going for the topic. If Apple spent time writing a manual, they really have no reason to work that hard at it...people obviously buy them without manuals. And they do have help pages.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions