What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

New iPad 3 user - the most frustrating 7 hours of my life.......

Status
Not open for further replies.
OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
P.S. I don't actually mind iTunes, as long as it proves to be reliable and works I think I'd be able to live with it......

Sent from my iPad using iPF

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I've been using iTunes from almost the beginning, so it always seems normal/easy to me. I do my best to remember others might find it confusing.

That said, even I think it needs an overhaul.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
The app developers of Photosmith said cable transfer isn't possible due to Apple restriction, and that seems to me to be in order to use iTunes I guess because I'm guessing iTunes is the only package that allows transfer via cable with your pc......

Not entirely true. Other apps have solved this. But it requires a companion app on the PC to use instead of iTunes. Many iOS developers don't have the skill set and/or budget to program for both iOS and Windows. It is easier on the Mac, since the tools and skills are mostly the same.

I don't know of any photo manager app that has taken this two pronged approach. Sorry.

Well, GoodReader has, and you can put and view photos in GoodReader; but it makes for a very feature poor photo manager.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Jez EMIN said:
P.S. I don't actually mind iTunes, as long as it proves to be reliable and works I think I'd be able to live with it......

Given your constraints, it sounds as if it would be best if you become an iTunes Jedi master.

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Jez EMIN said:
Wireless isn't the way I want to go with file transfers, images are way too big and way too many of them.

This is the problem also with Photosmith (I.e.. Wireless transfer = very slow), however the whole point I bought Photosmith is that in the field I can work on my images and the metadata can be imported into Lightroom.

Hence my desire to stick with Photosmith.

The app developers of Photosmith said cable transfer isn't possible due to Apple restriction, and that seems to me to be in order to use iTunes I guess because I'm guessing iTunes is the only package that allows transfer via cable with your pc......

Can you not use the "advanced" method, I.e. cable transfer the files into Lightroom, then just hit the wireless sync for the keywords?

I agree wirelessly syncing RAWs from a DSLR is far too slow.

I'm doing this on a laptop without iTunes... Just make sure you've taken a photo with the iPad; this creates the proper DCIM folder structure that a PC can see. Once done that plug in the cable, crank up Lightroom, and hit import. LR will see the iPad like a camera and away you go!

Once done disconnect the iPad, fire up the plug in and do the sync. I find the sync is a bit crude, I.e. no option to just sync keywords, but I'm hoping with this magic v2 upgrade things will improve for the better.

I haven't read why they can't cable transfer using the plug in, but you can certainly get files off the iPad without iTunes. Getting them back on is another matter, but I don't update my portfolio every week, so I'm lucky!

Oh, I'm on Lightroom 3.6 and win 7. Not jumped up to 4 yet.

OP
J

Jez EMIN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Can you not use the "advanced" method, I.e. cable transfer the files into Lightroom, then just hit the wireless sync for the keywords?

I agree wirelessly syncing RAWs from a DSLR is far too slow.

I'm doing this on a laptop without iTunes... Just make sure you've taken a photo with the iPad; this creates the proper DCIM folder structure that a PC can see. Once done that plug in the cable, crank up Lightroom, and hit import. LR will see the iPad like a camera and away you go!

Once done disconnect the iPad, fire up the plug in and do the sync. I find the sync is a bit crude, I.e. no option to just sync keywords, but I'm hoping with this magic v2 upgrade things will improve for the better.

I haven't read why they can't cable transfer using the plug in, but you can certainly get files off the iPad without iTunes. Getting them back on is another matter, but I don't update my portfolio every week, so I'm lucky!

Oh, I'm on Lightroom 3.6 and win 7. Not jumped up to 4 yet.

Hi dhevans,

Yes, the 'advanced' method is something I wished I could do but currently can't - I'm sure of course that others out there can but I guess that's the price I/we pay for being at the cutting edge of app development....

Chris the co-founder of Photosmith has been very good at getting back to me on the app but he hasn't seen anything untoward in the Lightroom app 'log' I sent him to investigate.

I am sure that when I tried doing the import via the 'advanced' method I did have some iPad camera images on it, nevertheless I took a few more this morning and tried to do an Advanced Lightroom import again...... to my surprise, this time the Import Dialog box did appear very quickly (before all of this it'd appear after a very long wait) and so I prematurely thought that we'd/you'd fixed it......

My images on the iPad were there on display but when I chose to scroll down the thumbnails in Lightroom, the application froze and Windows said Lightroom was 'not responding' - I still have Lightroom 3.6 and tried there as well, but that didn't go as far as LR4 on this occasion (just as far as the import dialog screen and that was it).

I hear what you're saying regarding getting images off and back on - I've almost got a 'system' that'll work for me, but my current problem is getting the images out of Photosmith into Lightroom (in Raw form in a reasonable and timely manner) - once that issue is cracked, I think I'll be okay (dangerous thing to say I know !).

As you (and Chris of Photosmith) say, V2 might well do the trick - and Chris informs me that it should become available next week......

Kind regards,

Jez

dhevans_6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hmm, is this the same computer your iTunes library is on? My old laptop, which I still use for stuff like iTunes suffered the same sort of symptoms you were experiencing (it was also vista not win 7). I found I had to plug the iPad in, do a sync in iTunes, then after leaving it a couple of minutes I would then bring up the import dialog in Lightroom and away I went (wouldn't show the raw thumbnails at all!).

My new laptop is a much faster model (i7, 8gb RAM) and only has photoshop and Lightroom on it. No iTunes, the old one can suffer that thanks :)

falsafayg

iPF Noob
Reaction score
* No doubt, as a hardware, ipad is a marvelous thing.
* But as a software, it is at least 10 years behind PC based tablet.
* No documents included/ when you download the document, no where it states how to start?
* Key questions like how to create folder, how to delete a folder, how to create a file and/or delete it in different uses like Music, Photos etc.
* You find the solution only through googling and forum. Most interesting thing is that most of these solutions look like tips and tricks, instead of some logical/rational way of solving it.
* For example, if you want to delete whole folder of photos (which were wrongly downloaded in ipad due to mistake of sync), then only way I learned to get rid of the photo folder is to go back to your pc / create an empty folder on the desktop / then through itune you do xyz.
* This is ridiculous, for a company like Apple. They are lightyear Behind in software development. The sad thing is that Apple has complete control on any third party development.
* This is from a person, who with Woznick (?), created Apple as a David against Gloith, IBM.
* But sad, it has become worse.
* Even worse is Apple worshipper, they are just like believer: don't question, don't challenge mentality.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
* No documents included/ when you download the document, no where it states how to start?
* Key questions like how to create folder, how to delete a folder, how to create a file and/or delete it in different uses like Music, Photos etc.
* You find the solution only through googling and forum. Most interesting thing is that most of these solutions look like tips and tricks, instead of some logical/rational way of solving it.
* For example, if you want to delete whole folder of photos (which were wrongly downloaded in ipad due to mistake of sync), then only way I learned to get rid of the photo folder is to go back to your pc / create an empty folder on the desktop / then through itune you do xyz.
* This is ridiculous, for a company like Apple. They are lightyear Behind in software development. The sad thing is that Apple has complete control on any third party development.
* This is from a person, who with Woznick (?), created Apple as a David against Gloith, IBM.
* Even worse is Apple worshipper, they are just like believer: don't question, don't challenge mentality.

You obviously have not read through many of the forums here. There are many posts and threads here about issues people have with their devices. I do not know how you define an Apple Worshiper, but if it is someone who prefers Mac to Windows or iPhone to droid then most people here would most likely fit that and I can assure you we do not blindly pray to the Apple gods or buy ever new product out there. For example, do a search on threads relating to iPad 1 or 2 owners that felt the new iPad did not meet their needs for an upgrade.

Last edited:

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Geez....if you know how to use a PC, then using an iPad ought to be a piece of cake. Perhaps the problem is that you are frozen in your ways and cannot accept anything that is slightly different than what you've seen before. You must work on that. ;)

jamby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
This is a great thread so far. Sorry i am learning at your expense. My iPad is my first Apple product of any kind. But since my kids have always had iPods I have some experience with iTunes. I found out then that I didn't want to be locked in that box and bought a Creative player which was more attuned to a PC world. You have to understand synching Apple style or you find yourself with all kinds of unintended consequences. For that reason i haven't even begun to transfer any music to my iPad. I have been taking it slow with the iPad because I knew it would be frustrating but I am already doing some productive things at work with it. I am glad I took the leap.

jamby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
Geez....if you know how to use a PC, then using an iPad ought to be a piece of cake. Perhaps the problem is that you are frozen in your ways and cannot accept anything that is slightly different than what you've seen before. You must work on that. ;)

You couldn't be more wrong with this statement. Using a PC all your life makes some things easier and some a lot harder with the iPad. A learning curve to be sure.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
jamby said:
You couldn't be more wrong with this statement. Using a PC all your life makes some things easier and some a lot harder with the iPad. A learning curve to be sure.

I'm not having any problems getting stuff done on a simple iPad....you just need o stop fighting it.

jamby

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A question about iTunes. When you set it up does it automatically grab all music files it can find and sync them (or for instance just the ones in the Music folder on a PC)? Does iTunes set up give you the opportunity to limit synching to select folders as you go through the setup? I was thinking of keeping only the music in my Music folder that I want synched and moving the rest to another folder. I really don't want to fill up my iPad with all of my music files.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts