What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Photo Frustration!

jack12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Is anyone else frustrated with the cumbersome & flaky nature of the photo functions of iTunes and iPhoto? I have owned an iPhone for several years and truly love it's many features and portability, however for reading newspapers & articles and for managing photos it really is not all that practical or rewarding so......decided to get the new iPad.

Photo management is driving me nuts!

1) Initially transferred some photos from my phone to the new iPad via "bump". This loaded the photos into the camera roll & I then selected various photos to create an album. In order to have greater editing control of the photos I downloaded (bought) iPhoto. Exported the album photos to iPhoto & created an iPhoto album.

-soon discovered that I cannot delete any of the photos from the camera roll without them being deleted from either the photo app or the iPhoto album. Does Apple actually expect that I am going to retain hundreds of photos on the camera roll & albums in the photo app & iPhoto?...?

-soon also discovered that, while it is possible to sort photos in iPhoto, it is cumbersome and extremely awkward. Does Apple expect me to take photographs in a perfectly linear fashion....so they never need to be sorted?....?

Oh well....downloaded (bought) Photo Manager Pro so I could export the photos and sort the in a logical fashion & then export them back to iPhoto. Whew....what a cumbersome waste of time!

2) Next I transferred via iTunes a photo album from my computer.......photos go to photo app directly into an album..... not to the camera roll...this is good as they are not hogging space on the roll.....however from the photo app they go automatically to iPhoto and once again cannot be sorted nor can this album be "deleted".

This gets rather complicated, but the solution would be to transfer the photos from the photo app to Photo Pro.....delete the album...sort in Photo Pro...export back to the Photo app... Create a new album which would the sync directly to iPhoto....whew! The only problem is that the new transferred album is "locked" and you cannot delete it!

3) Ok....so now I go to transfer another album from my computer to the iPad via iTunes......and voila it transfers the photos directly into the previous album deleting those photos and creating a new "locked" album.....lost the first transfer pictures from both the photo app and iPhoto....good thing I still had them in Photo Pro!

Needless to say I am extremely disappointed in the photo management capabilities of the iPad. Is anyone else experiencing these problems...am I doing something wrong? If this is the "state of the art" of tablet computing, I got in too early! Count me out for another couple of years until they can get their act together. I shudder to think what it must be like trying to manage a spreadsheet or any other business tool on one of these things, if they make something as simple and important to to the average joe as photo management this much of a nightmare.

kierandill

iPF Noob
Reaction score
To answer the question you didn't ask, yes, Android runs circles around iOS with respect to photo management, including a "real" cloud called Picasa (now Google+ Photos), where the pictures are actually online, rather than iCloud, which is just a internet-based sync system.
I have a new Mac Mini, an iPad 1, and an iPad3, but I don't bother anymore with photos on the iOS devices. I pull photos into my Mac in iPhoto and use the Picasa plugin to upload to albums to my account, which I can view on my Android phone and on any internet-connected PC. The web based Google+ Photos is reasonable on the iPad in Safari, but an app would be superior.

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Maybe old fashion but I just create all my photo albums on my pc then transfer them over. Even pics I took on my iPhone I just transfer over to my pc then put back on either my iPhone or iPad. Then you can delete the originals in camera roll. I agree there should be a better way to do this. And the fact that you must leave the pics in the camera roll if you create the album on the iPhone/iPad is just stupid.

OP
J

jack12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seneca.....when I transfer a photo album/folder from my computer to my iPad, I need to use iTunes and the photos do not go to my camera roll, but to a new " locked" album. They do not come over in the order in which I have arranged them on my computer, but in the order in which they were taken. They are then auto synced to iPhoto, but incorrectly ordered. To compound the frustration, if I transfer a second album/folder from my computer it doesn't create a new album....it replaces the previous transfer!

What gives with this?

seneca18

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seneca.....when I transfer a photo album/folder from my computer to my iPad, I need to use iTunes and the photos do not go to my camera roll, but to a new " locked" album. They do not come over in the order in which I have arranged them on my computer, but in the order in which they were taken. They are then auto synced to iPhoto, but incorrectly ordered. To compound the frustration, if I transfer a second album/folder from my computer it doesn't create a new album....it replaces the previous transfer!

What gives with this?

That is really strange. All the albums I have transferred over are in the order which I have them arranged on my computer. I do not use iPhoto though so I can't speak to that. When you say you are trying to transfer a second album over do you mean an entirely new album or just adding photos to an already existing album. Because if you are adding an entirely new album it should not be deleting or over writing you previous one.

OP
J

jack12345

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seneca.....using Windows XP....the second transfer is an entirely new album/folder of photos and it overwrites the existing first transfer.

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, but I did not use iTunes for my photos. I copied them from my PC to an SD card and then used the camera connection kit to copy them to the iPad. They all came over in their folders exactly as they were on my PC.

Letitia

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I don't know if this will help, but I did not use iTunes for my photos. I copied them from my PC to an SD card and then used the camera connection kit to copy them to the iPad. They all came over in their folders exactly as they were on my PC.

i'm having the same problem and tried your suggestion by copying photos from my PC to an SD card and using camera conn kit. But how do you copy them to the iPad if it doesn't do it automatically? Do you know? Thanks v much. Letitia.
PS: It seems my iPad won't recognise that my SD card contains the photos I've copied to it from my PC. My iPad will recognise photos on an SD card that still contains photos taken by my camera (ie: not copied from my PC). Any clues?

Last edited:

AlexisW

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Your SD card needs to have DCIM folder. In that folder is where you place your photo folders.

If you look at the SD card from your camera you'll see what I'm talking about.

Could this be your problem?

clouds73

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One thing I hate about apple which is the lack of freedom to do whatever you want with ur personal Edited by Moderator - this is a family friendly forum, not a bar!

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Last edited by a moderator:

BMWrider

iPF Noob
Reaction score
GeorgeShannon said:

This has been stated in other forums. Your photo file name must be exactly 8 digits long with a 3 digit extension
(12345678.xyz) before the iPad will recognize it.

Most reactions

Latest posts