What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Name a Pet Peeve!

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tinman said:
Seriously? It's pork belly. Always has been.

Salt and/or smoke cured. Not all that complicated. Not all that healthy either. :(

Michael

I can't help thinking you're wrong...
Wrong? I stated a fact. Easy to prove. American bacon is, in fact, made from pork belly. Google it.

More importantly, how can you get peeved over a food that you yourself decide whether to eat or not? I am not particularly fond of bird's nest soup but I don't get peeved over it.

A peeve to me is something that confronts me without me having much control over it: the thoughtless smoker, rude store clerk, careless driver, etc.

Michael

Prasius

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
Will be available. So will the Mitsubishi MiEv, the Ford Focus electric and the Chevy Volt. But "available" at 500 units per country is exaggerating quite a bit because all of those cars were promised before delivery. We'll have to wait another two or three years to get production numbers out.

EVs have fewer parts than ICEs. Someday they'll cost less, for now they're entitled to milk us...

@Prasius. That comment about EVs just displacing energy forms and range anxiety come straight from the oil lobby's defense book. I'd suggest you diversify your sources before posting such dribble. Try EVcast: The Podcast on Electric Cars and Other Electric Vehicles it's a podcast with about 400 hours of shows that brings information on all sides of EVs including competitive energy formats.

In Quebec we have mostly clean Hydro electric production, 2% Nuclear, 4% alternative such as wind power plus we use no coal, no gas and no fuel electric production. It's the perfect place for EVs.

The average EVs that are tested have a range of 150km. It's a fact that people that work drive less than 50km a day. Plenty of time to recharge. If you have to go for a long drive, just rent a guzzler, it'll get you there.
An automotive LiOn battery can also be recharged to roughly 80% of its capacity in around 20 minutes, giving about 100km of range. Just think as you would driving your car as you would using your iPad's battery management. They're the same thing. As soon as it's not used, you "plug in". Of course if you don't pay attention you'll be stuck! The same way those idiots run out of gas on the highway!

I'm going to stop right here because it's not the place to discuss this. I've amassed huge amounts of data on the subject and I've driven EVs. They are totally worthy as commuting tools. I want one from a long way back and the Oil lobby doesn't want me to have one. They're just pretending to get them out to a select few and they'll drag their feet as long as they can to get them out to the masses. Period.

Hmm... Aggressive stance that. We'll ignore the huge ecological impact of lithium mining for starters then (the quantity we'd require for wide scale EV use is far beyond what we use in our phones/ipads/etc....) Plus the vast majority of the planets electricity IS NOT from renewables or nuclear (and unlikely to be the latter now given the utterly bizarre reaction to the Japan crisis.. ). People who work drive less than 50km a day!? Now THAT is drivel. I'm sure there are many, many people on this forum who commute longer distances than that. I work away from home during the week, and drive home most weekends - I would need a vehicle with at least a 300mile range. Hire a car every weekend? Get real. And before you say it - trains are neither economically viable nor timely on the route I would need to take. Oh, and I happen to have had a long, long conversation with Daimler-Chyslers head of EV development, among other people.. So i'm well informed enough thankyou.

As I said, EV's make sense for a highly urban areas; HOWEVER the environment would be better served by properly implemented public transit systems. They are not the answer to wide scale private transit.

As for the Bacon thing. Perhaps if I followed it up with LMFAO!!!!!!! You'd appreciate I'm being sarcastic about a foodstuff. I didn't appreciate I was being so subtle.

Sent from my iPad using iPF

iVan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
iVan said:
Will be available. So will the Mitsubishi MiEv, the Ford Focus electric and the Chevy Volt. But "available" at 500 units per country is exaggerating quite a bit because all of those cars were promised before delivery. We'll have to wait another two or three years to get production numbers out.

EVs have fewer parts than ICEs. Someday they'll cost less, for now they're entitled to milk us...

@Prasius. That comment about EVs just displacing energy forms and range anxiety come straight from the oil lobby's defense book. I'd suggest you diversify your sources before posting such dribble. Try EVcast: The Podcast on Electric Cars and Other Electric Vehicles it's a podcast with about 400 hours of shows that brings information on all sides of EVs including competitive energy formats.

In Quebec we have mostly clean Hydro electric production, 2% Nuclear, 4% alternative such as wind power plus we use no coal, no gas and no fuel electric production. It's the perfect place for EVs.

The average EVs that are tested have a range of 150km. It's a fact that people that work drive less than 50km a day. Plenty of time to recharge. If you have to go for a long drive, just rent a guzzler, it'll get you there.
An automotive LiOn battery can also be recharged to roughly 80% of its capacity in around 20 minutes, giving about 100km of range. Just think as you would driving your car as you would using your iPad's battery management. They're the same thing. As soon as it's not used, you "plug in". Of course if you don't pay attention you'll be stuck! The same way those idiots run out of gas on the highway!

I'm going to stop right here because it's not the place to discuss this. I've amassed huge amounts of data on the subject and I've driven EVs. They are totally worthy as commuting tools. I want one from a long way back and the Oil lobby doesn't want me to have one. They're just pretending to get them out to a select few and they'll drag their feet as long as they can to get them out to the masses. Period.

Hmm... Aggressive stance that. We'll ignore the huge ecological impact of lithium mining for starters then (the quantity we'd require for wide scale EV use is far beyond what we use in our phones/ipads/etc....) Plus the vast majority of the planets electricity IS NOT from renewables or nuclear (and unlikely to be the latter now given the utterly bizarre reaction to the Japan crisis.. ). People who work drive less than 50km a day!? Now THAT is drivel. I'm sure there are many, many people on this forum who commute longer distances than that. I work away from home during the week, and drive home most weekends - I would need a vehicle with at least a 300mile range. Hire a car every weekend? Get real. And before you say it - trains are neither economically viable nor timely on the route I would need to take. Oh, and I happen to have had a long, long conversation with Daimler-Chyslers head of EV development, among other people.. So i'm well informed enough thankyou.

As I said, EV's make sense for a highly urban areas; HOWEVER the environment would be better served by properly implemented public transit systems. They are not the answer to wide scale private transit.

As for the Bacon thing. Perhaps if I followed it up with LMFAO!!!!!!! You'd appreciate I'm being sarcastic about a foodstuff. I didn't appreciate I was being so subtle.

Agressive? How about the Oil lobby's actions against competition? There is a place for electrics, a huge one. I'm not saying it's for everybody. But that idea of an energy panacea is old, dying and killing the future of my kids as it still kicks for it's last breath. The future is in local energy production, local feeding and working where you live.

As far as I know lithium mining is not the one suffocating our living environment. And since it is an emerging industry it can be managed to better practices. Of course greed can wreak havoc but that's everywhere. Look in your plate first.

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Bacon: many different kinds of bacon; Americans are most familiar with the thinly sliced stuff in poly packs; slab bacon, and Canadian Bacon. Lots of kinds of bacon and many ways to preserve it and it is all bacon. Slabbed or sliced or rolled up, it's all bacon. Not so sure why we are arguing about bacon, but there you go. Not one cook on the list.

Alton Brown . . . We need you.

As for electric cars, they ain't ready yet. The public will not accept them right now, either. Look at the sales figures for electric cars. You mentioned lithium mining, yes, that is possibly a concern.

If we were required to drive toy cars with AA power sources and lithium were discovered in this country (It might be, I do not know) What make you all think we will be able to dig it up and process the stuff? We have vast oil reserves in this country, we have oil shale, we have tar sands, and we cannot drill, mine, and process the stuff because the whiners say it is bad.

What about lithium? You really think that will happen? We do not need batteries, we need oil. Both require drilling or mining. So why is the destructive act of drilling for oil any worse than getting to the lithium?

Environmentalists want us to protect Mother Earth and they hate mining, they hate natural gas, they hate coal and they hate cars and gasoline. But they want us to have electric cars which adds one more large scale mining operation to the mix. It is kinda like smoking in California. People want smoking banned but they want marijuana legalized.

Apparently, the world's supply of lithium comes from Bolivia. So we trade the pain and suffering at the hands of Saudi Oil Ministers and start suffering at the hands of the Bolivian Lithium Ministers?

Lithium is a poison. Just like mercury in those lightbulb we will be forced to endure at some point. So we trade fairly safe incandescent lights for poisonous mercury that requires a Haz-Mat team to clean up? And with multiple millions of drivers in this country, what about the environmental impact of large scale lithium disposal.

That assumes that the batteries of the future will contain lithium.

Those that want electric cars do not think it through. Many of these alternatives are dangerous replacements for existing materials and apparently we need electric cars to save the planet, when there is no legitimate proof that oil and gasoline and global warming is a problem.

What about cost"? I hear that a set of batteries for today's electric cars can cost from 4,000.00 to 8,000.00. Those prices come out of your pocket every 80,000 to 100,000 miles. Willing to put that kind of money into your car or perhaps just buy another car which takes more resources to produce and puts one more junker in the environment.

So the alternative can be costly and it will affect your car's trade in value should the dealer need to replace a set of batteries because it is near the end of the estimated life of the batteries.

Perhaps we need bacon powered cars?

Bob

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
While watching tv the adds are twice as loud as the show.
You race to turn down the blaring volume during the adds ,then forget and find yourself straining to hear when the show starts back again.t
Then race to turn up again
I'm in Australia
Does this happen in other countries?

I recently noticed this as well. I can tell you that there are no FCC rules that mandate broadcasters maintain a specific volume level. It is rather annoying, i'll give you that.

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lithium is a poison. Just like mercury in those lightbulb we will be forced to endure at some point.
Lithium is not quite like mercury. I could be wrong but I don't think mercury has been approved and prescribed as a drug for humans for the last 40+ years.

Michael

Last edited:

Tinman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
While watching tv the adds are twice as loud as the show.
You race to turn down the blaring volume during the adds ,then forget and find yourself straining to hear when the show starts back again.t
Then race to turn up again
I'm in Australia
Does this happen in other countries?

I recently noticed this as well. I can tell you that there are no FCC rules that mandate broadcasters maintain a specific volume level. It is rather annoying, i'll give you that.
DVR... don't watch TV without it. I don't watch much TV but can't even bear to watch live TV unless it is a happening-now news thing--or sports. It's not just the volume.. it's the crazy assortment of ads that are seemingly to vastly different market segments. An ad on bankruptcy follows an ad for investment services? Dang! An ad for a depression drug followed by an ad from lawyers suing over last year's depression drug??? Wow.

Michael

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lithium is a poison. Just like mercury in those lightbulb we will be forced to endure at some point.
Lithium is not quite like mercury. I could be wrong but I don't think mercury has been approved and prescribed as a drug for humans for the last 40+ years.
Michael

Both are prescribed medicinally, or were in the case of mercury which is no longer. Lithium is still prescribed. Both are highly toxic.

When used medicinally, lithium as well as mercury is in a different form, compared to your batteries. I think mercury in lightbulbs as well as lithium in batteries are in the elemental form which can be very bad. Although I am not a battery expert so I am not so sure just how much lithium is in a typical modern battery.

There were laws written to rid the landscape of metallic mercury, and we are about to be forced into discarding considerable quantities of the metal into the dumps. Not sure what laws would be written to protect us from lithium, however.

And this assumes that batteries of the future will contain lithium.

Bob

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What do you call a big white furry animal that is really happy one day then sad the next day? A Bi-polar bear!

fuzzyfelts

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Prasius said:
American bacon. Seriously - what the hell is that stuff really? I'm pretty sure it hasn't been near a pig in the last decade... If ever.

People who insist on using text speak and no punctuation in text messages. I've actually stopped dating someone because it irritated me so much, I ended up spending more time trying to decipher the nonsense they'd written than it took to write a reply. There isn't really a character limit anymore, and pretty much everyone here has unlimited texts.. Just write the bloody thing properly.

Oh! I totally agree about the texts! American bacon? Don't know, I'm from Wales! Another peeve - people looking over your shoulder and saying oh, is that a Kindle!...........really get a grip.

Most reactions

Latest posts