What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

My new iPad is back in the box to be returned :-(

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
My new iPad arrived yesterday. When I turned it on right out of the box the screen started flashing and hundreds of fine horizontal lines moved up and down the screen...then they went away...and then they returned. Last evening the display was mostly ok (with just occasional bands of lines moving across the screen) and I was able to get it set up and also restored from my original iPad backup. This morning the problem was much worse. I called Apple support and the tech guy had me restore the software. After doing that the screen was just 3 blocks of different shades of grey with nothing to swipe to turn it on. So...another call to support. They are going to send out a replacement but I need to return this one first. Will be a week to a week-and-a-half! Mine was engraved so I'm quite sure I will lose that. The wait really ticks me off...definitely not happy!

L

Lunar

Your sad experience, is something we all dread and fear whenever we order or buy any new gadget, and even more so when it's a costly item, unfortunately I too have had the odd similar experience over the years as I'm sure we all have at one time or another.

I live in the UK, and often order from Amazon, even if the item may sometimes be a few ££ above what I can get it elsewhere, purely just to get Amazons excellent no hassle return policy, fortunately Apple are pretty good to when it comes swapping items out, though it would obviously be better if thay would adopt Amazons policy (at least here in uk) where they will send you an advanced replacement giving you 30days to return the faulty item otherwise it then gets charged to your card.

This would help to eliminate much of the frustration of having to rush to post yours back and not having to wait for the replacement before they get theirs back.
On subject of engraving, I would think they would add the the engraving to the replacement, as that is what you originally wanted, but like you, Im unsure on this too, but one would think so. Personally, though I can understand the temptation to have it personalised with engraving, I've always avoided due to passing it on/selling possibly at a later date, but thats just me..lol

I feel your pain matey, and sorry on this occasion it's happened to you.. hopefully your replacement will be 100% okay... certainly hope so... hold in there.

Best wishes... Cameron.. UK

Last edited by a moderator:

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
go to apple store ASAP

even if the sell out of iPads they have a couple of each model saved just for replacement on launch.

I would go before the replacement units are gone if anyone else gets a defective unit.

OP
bbmountain

bbmountain

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yeah...Apple Customer Care said an option would be to go to an Apple store. Unfortunately VT doesn't have one!

Slimseven

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's just the one in maybe a couple of thousand that had a assembly issue. imagine a QC check put in place before boxing but it can't be every individual unit.
You will be made satisfied, if not already with an apology and a smile at the Apple store. Go get your replacement and enjoy. It's nothing unusual for someone to get a dud.
Rare but not unusual in reference to the big picture. It must suck to unwrap a dud.
The display is pretty amazing.

Lyndon23

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I feel a bit petty now, after reading you're story. I organised a return of my iPad3 because I noticed I had some dead pixels on the screen. Apple agreed to let me keep and use the original unit until after the replacement has been received. The pixels are small but when they don't work, trust me you can see them very clearly on a white screen. In my case I can still use the iPad whilst I'm waiting for the replacement, but for you, that sucks dude, especially the engraving thing. Sorry to hear about your issues, but at least Apple are second to none in customer care and you will be allocated a new unit with a high priority because it's a replacement, so hopefully you get it soon. Best of luck!

tazz3

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lyndon dont feel petty the ipad3 costs a lot of money and you want a perfect unit. so get a new one for sure.
if i got one and it had dead pixels it would go back to the store also

tbns

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Sorry to hear that! I've been through the same thing (with other tablets). Hopefully Apple will set you straight.

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Normally I wait to buy any new technology that's why I waited a couple of months to buy my first iPad and buying my second iPad I waited several months but for some reason I got it into my mind that I should buy the new iPad on launch. Before I left Best Buy I asked my sales rep that if I found anything wrong with this iPad I can return it to Best Buy, they assured me I could. Since coming home with this new iPad I have been running it to play with all of its announced features including dictation.I have gone into a dark closet to see if there was any light bleed--that was the problem with iPad 2. So far I can find nothing wrong with this new iPad.

I am sorry you have experienced a less than perfect new iPad--I am sure Apple will make it right for you!

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Oh oh, looks like I am also going to return my amazing new iPad. At first I didn't notice it but the longer I had my new iPad running, the more the effect became visible. I started looking around the forum to see if others have reported similar problems. So far there is only a discussion about back light bleed. Not my problem. My problem has to do with dappling along one side of the iPad. I thought it would be gone after I increased brightness, but it made it worse. I first noticed the problem reading USA Today. I noticed the bar across the top, this is the iPad in landscape with the home button on the right, that the color of the bar was like bright and dim, like a ribbon effect. At first I thought that was pretty cool. But then I started reading the iPad Manual in iBooks. Still in landscape mode with the home button on the right, the top edge of the e-book looked like it got wet and then dried out.

Since this was a totally silly purchase on my part (I guess I am one of those fools and his money..) I'm going to take this new iPad back to Best Buy and see what they tell me. My inclination is to have them replace it but they are also going to have to give me another Zaggshield cause I also installed it on this new iPad. This experience opens up a new chapter in my iPad life. This is the first time an iPad didn't work for me and it wasn't a problem I instigated.

Last edited:

MattIM

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Just got back from Best Buy. After they examined my new iPad, two geek squad guys and two customer service reps looked at it. Geek squad guy says that it is unusual for the screen to have this kind of dappling. BUT earlier today, they had a 64 gig wifi only model doing the same thing. Fortunately they had a 32 Gig wifi+4G AT&T model and I was able to exchange it. I have to contact Zagg to get a Zagg Shield replacement since they took it off the 'broken' iPad.

Now, I'm going to spend some time with the new iPad that replaced my new iPad.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure how badly you needed it but I imagine there are a lot of people that are really counting on it working out of the box. It could be because of travel. It could be something for a really sick child. It could be for any number of reasons. Hopefully you didn't need it for anything too important and you can be happy that someone that did, didn't get one of the inevitable defective units. If you order enough technology you will occasionally draw the short straw

tlbaker

iPF Novice
Reaction score
bbmountain said:
My new iPad arrived yesterday. When I turned it on right out of the box the screen started flashing and hundreds of fine horizontal lines moved up and down the screen...then they went away...and then they returned. Last evening the display was mostly ok (with just occasional bands of lines moving across the screen) and I was able to get it set up and also restored from my original iPad backup. This morning the problem was much worse. I called Apple support and the tech guy had me restore the software. After doing that the screen was just 3 blocks of different shades of grey with nothing to swipe to turn it on. So...another call to support. They are going to send out a replacement but I need to return this one first. Will be a week to a week-and-a-half! Mine was engraved so I'm quite sure I will lose that. The wait really ticks me off...definitely not happy!

Catchy title to get people to read lol!!!

Sent from my Verizon Black 64GB iPad 2 w IOS 5.1 Update From NYC!!! using iPF.net

Most reactions

Latest posts