What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Must have wifi to download apps?

cybereyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Why? I'm looking at 4 bars and it refuses to download an app giving me a message to get on wifi or download via my computer. Very frustrating that I can't add anything from the net to this thing unless I'm at home connected to my wifi there

OP
C

cybereyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Now it's actually saying app is over 20 mb and I have to use my computer or wifi, What a bunch of CRAP. what a waste of money for a data plan when I have to make sure to have a computer in order to use this thing

Bimjo

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, 20Mb is a rather large file for a 3g transfer. It would be painfully slow to d/l I should think.

MacVaio

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, 20Mb is a rather large file for a 3g transfer. It would be painfully slow to d/l I should think.

And expensive too, unless you have a flat rate (european?) data plan. That could be the reason of the 20Mb restriction I guess.

I personally use the same data microsim either on computer or my iPad 3G, since I have no wifi @home. Fully mobile and kicking.

MacOpening

OP
C

cybereyes

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Bimjo said:

Painfully slow and will not download at all are two different things. Time I have. The ability to go home to get apps downloaded I don't . I don't understand the concept on not allowing me to download a file at all. I can watch a 2 hour movie but can't download a file?

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Any free hotspot will server just as well as going home, if you have one near you.

The download limit was set when AT&T was the only provider (in the U.S.) and was leery of having it's bandwidth stomped on. Most carriers have been playing a cat and mouse game between attracting customers and keeping their services from becoming overloaded. Probably the only worse customer relations move than limiting bandwidth and services is promising them, and falling flat on your face. AT&T came close to that blunder.

Now that more and more carriers are going to limited data plans, bandwidth is improving, and customers are starting to complain (a lot), I expect the limitation will go away, or at least up, soon.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Any free hotspot will server just as well as going home, if you have one near you.

The download limit was set when AT&T was the only provider (in the U.S.) and was leery of having it's bandwidth stomped on. Most carriers have been playing a cat and mouse game between attracting customers and keeping their services from becoming overloaded. Probably the only worse customer relations move than limiting bandwidth and services is promising them, and falling flat on your face. AT&T came close to that blunder.

Now that more and more carriers are going to limited data plans, bandwidth is improving, and customers are starting to complain (a lot), I expect the limitation will go away, or at least up, soon.

I certainly hope so!! You're sold an unlimited plan and then Apple tell you that the download is limited to 20 MB! It's like selling you a top-of-the-range sports car and then telling you that you're not allowed to drive it at more than 30 mph.

Tim

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You mean there aren't any speed limits in Scotland? Cool! :D

Could be worse. At least no one is going to give your iPad a speeding ticket.

Most reactions

Latest posts