What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving photos

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Is there a way to move photos from one album to another say for instance from recents to family album

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not in one step.

You can select the photos in the first album, then use the Share icon to add them to the second album, then select them again and use the trash icon to remove them from the current album.

You can also drag the photos into the album in the side bar (if you are using iPadOS 14). This will not delete them from the original album. You still have to manually delete them from the original.

You can probably create shortcut to do it all in one go, but unless it is something you do a lot, more work than it’s worth.

Other apps that can access your photos might be able to do it. I tried using Documents by Readdle, but it’s move function only allows moving photo to and from the Photo Library, not between albums.

Side Notes:

As long as you don’t choose to delete the photo it will still be in the photo library.

Also, having a photo in multiple albums does not mean you have multiple copies of the photo. Albums are just lists. A photo can be in as many albums as you want with no duplication of files. That means he picture of my niece and her dog lives nicely in both the family and the pet albums.

OP
Vett

Vett

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I am able to move a photo from recents to another album but when I delete it from the recents album it also deletes it from the album I just sent it to.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
A little experimenting, and this is the method I came up with that isn’t too hard, and ensures that all photos get moved to the new album before being removed from the old. Needs iPad OS 14

Open the origin album. Drag each picture to the destination album in the sidebar, then immediately remove it from the origin album by holding down in the picture and choosing Remove from the pop up menue.

This minimizes changing between views and albums. It also avoids accidentally choosing Delete, since the popup menu only gives the Remove option.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I am able to move a photo from recents to another album but when I delete it from the recents album it also deletes it from the album I just sent it to.

Recents is a system album. You can’t create, add, or modify it. It does not have a remove options, only a delete option.

Just add the photo to the desired album, and don’t worry about it. As I mentioned before, this does not duplicate the photo. It just creates a list of photos for organizing and viewing convenience.

In summary, when you use the “Delete” function the photo is deleted from the library. When you use “Remove” it is only removed from the current album. If there is no “Remove” option, that means the album is not editable. The system creates this album as a default way to view certain photos in common ways.

The exception is Favorites. You can un-favorite a picture to remove it from the ablum, and it won’t delete it from the library, but if you choose delete, it will still be removed from the library.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
As a side note, you can add the same photo to an album as many times as you like. The system is smart enough not to put multiple copies in the album.

No need to mark or remember what ‘recent’ photos you’ve already moved. Select all suspect newbies, and move them.

Most reactions

Latest posts