What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Moving photos around on the ipad 3

texatdurango

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Excuse this post if it's been answered before but this is my first visit and first post in this forum AND my first time with an Apple product so please bear with me.

My ipad3 takes gorgeous photos and I am taking a LOT of them. Now with approx 200 photos in the photo roll I am putting certain photos in different albums for better organization and to find them quicker. What I find to be a problem is that when I copy a photo from the "Camera Roll" album to another album, the original remains in the camera roll causing duplicate photos on the ipad.

One or two duplicates is no problem but a few hundred is.

After moving a photo to another album when I try deleting the original photo from within the photo roll, a red box pops up with "Delete Everywhere" on it, which of course I don't want to do.

Is there a way to delete a photo just from the camera roll album while leaving it intact in another album?

Thanks in advance!

darkangelwitch

iPF Novice
Reaction score
texatdurango said:
Excuse this post if it's been answered before but this is my first visit and first post in this forum AND my first time with an Apple product so please bear with me.

My ipad3 takes gorgeous photos and I am taking a LOT of them. Now with approx 200 photos in the photo roll I am putting certain photos in different albums for better organization and to find them quicker. What I find to be a problem is that when I copy a photo from the "Camera Roll" album to another album, the original remains in the camera roll causing duplicate photos on the ipad.

One or two duplicates is no problem but a few hundred is.

After moving a photo to another album when I try deleting the original photo from within the photo roll, a red box pops up with "Delete Everywhere" on it, which of course I don't want to do.

Is there a way to delete a photo just from the camera roll album while leaving it intact in another album?

Thanks in advance!

I think I am correct in saying that the one you put in the new album is a shortcut only so does not take up any extra space :)

Dark Angelwitch (Surrey)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Since you said "think," DarkAngelwitch, I'll jump in and say you are absolutely right. When creating albums within the Photo app, what you are actually doing is creating a link to the photo in the main [default] album. As it's a link, that photo cannot be deleted, else you'll break the link. And yes, I'm going with the fact that it's a space-saving feature.

What I won't do into details with is my opinion on why Apple chose to do it this way versus making a true "move" function. :)

But, I guess we live with what we got (or get another app for photo management).

Marilyn

OP
T

texatdurango

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Since you said "think," DarkAngelwitch, I'll jump in and say you are absolutely right. When creating albums within the Photo app, what you are actually doing is creating a link to the photo in the main [default] album. As it's a link, that photo cannot be deleted, else you'll break the link. And yes, I'm going with the fact that it's a space-saving feature.

What I won't do into details with is my opinion on why Apple chose to do it this way versus making a true "move" function. :)

But, I guess we live with what we got (or get another app for photo management).

Marilyn

Thank both of you for the replies. Now that I know the other albums are just links or shortcuts, it makes sense to me why I can only copy photos to my PC from the one folder and none of the other folders I set up and why I can only transfer photos back to the camera roll album using Dropbox.

Regards,
George

Most reactions

Latest posts