What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

MobileMe is Awesome! Recovered stolen iPad

Spongebob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried testing this with my Wifi-only Ipad and it could not locate my device which was in my living room right next to me. It did receive the test message though.

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it works just as well with wifi. It's precise down to a few meters from the wifi router.

Have you tried this? How can MobileMe tell based on a router/ip where the unit is specifically located?

Todd

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Yes it works just as well with wifi. It's precise down to a few meters from the wifi router.

Have you tried this? How can MobileMe tell based on a router/ip where the unit is specifically located?

Todd

It uses the Skyhook database. It can be accurate to within a few meters in some areas.

Ok, it works. Just tried it and it knew where my iPad was located. I hadn't tried it in the past because I thought this was something you had to pay for with a MobileMe account, but apparently, it is free.

Todd

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The find my iphone/pad portion of MobileME is free for iOS 4 products including the iPad, exclusive of the other portions.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Another brilliant feature is the ability to remotely wipe it if you are unlikely to get it back.

These features (lock and wipe) would not work if the thief was familiar with the device. He would simply disable mobileme in settings.

To make find my iPhone useful, Apple should require the password be entered to disable mobileme.

Yes, but the thief would need the password to unlock the iPad to make such a change.

What would be more worrisome to me is that the thief can simply wipe the iPad him/herself using iTunes before you have a chance to find it with MobileMe.

When you connect your ipad or iphone to a new itunes library you have to unlock the iPad or iphone before iTunes can access it.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
enable mobileme on the ipad sign in with your apple id. download "where's my phone" or "find my phone" I can't remember then go to mobileme.com and sign up. Just be sure you don't option for other segments.

tap50

iPF Noob
Reaction score
enable mobileme on the ipad sign in with your apple id. download "where's my phone" or "find my phone" I can't remember then go to mobileme.com and sign up. Just be sure you don't option for other segments.

There was nothing to download on my iPad. You have to have iOS 4.2. Just go into SETTINGS then MAIL, CONTACTS, CALENDARS, then ADD ACCOUNT. Choose MobileMe and type in your iTunes userid and password. It will ask you to accept the terms. Once that is done, you get an option to turn on FIND MY IPAD.

That's it. I then went to me.com and typed in my iTunes userid/password and it finds my iPad.

Todd

Most reactions

Latest posts