What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Missing 'image carousel' in Google Images section on a Safari tab on iPad Mini

Siouxaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's complex to explain this but basically when on my iPad Mini, using Safari, searching for anything using a keyword in the omni navigation bar, Google returns its results, I tap on Images to display all the images relating to that search keyword.

Tapping on the first image result would increase the size of that image and allow an 'image carousel' to appear and swiping from right to left would move onto the next image. This does not happen any more for some reason.

Recently, over the past few days, when I do a search and chose Images, then choose the first image to increase the size, the image carousel does not appear, only the singular image. I then have to click on the little X to close that image and tap on the second image to view that image.

Anyone got any ideas on where the swiping 'image carousel' facility on Google Images has disappeared to?

Any comments or advice gratefully received.

Sioux

On iPad Mini
iOS 7.0.2

Attachments

• image-1735867895.jpg
    image-1735867895.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 459
  • image-3535667495.jpg
    image-3535667495.jpg
    69.8 KB · Views: 341

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Google turned the feature off for iOS 7 from the looks of it. Just confirmed it on my iPhone 5S. And my iPad 2 on iOS 6 still works as both of us expect.

iOS 7's Safari has some MAJOR issues compatability and coding wise, but I didn't think it was bad enough that Google would turn off a working feature....

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's turned off for me too but it was working yesterday......maybe google are throwing their toys out of the pram?

The Archangel

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If Google was seeing too many image re-requests because of the bugs in Safari, that may be why they shut it down.

OP
Siouxaj

Siouxaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Skull One et al, thanks for rapid replies. I guess I can always see the image carousel in action in the actual Google App, but it was nice to see it in Safari... Sioux

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi Skull One et al, thanks for rapid replies. I guess I can always see the image carousel in action in the actual Google App, but it was nice to see it in Safari... Sioux

Agreed. Hopefully this is something that Google is only doing temporarily.

OP
Siouxaj

Siouxaj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Agreed. Hopefully this is something that Google is only doing temporarily.

Wayyyhayyyy! Looks like Google were thinking along the same lines... The image carousel feature is back! Just tried it today on Safari and lo and behold the image carousel popped up complete with swiping action...

Sioux = a happy bunny

col.bris

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just give the update time. Imagine you are on a subway crammed full of people and the subway is overloaded..... Everything comes to a crawl.... Too many users at once.........

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wayyyhayyyy! Looks like Google were thinking along the same lines... The image carousel feature is back! Just tried it today on Safari and lo and behold the image carousel popped up complete with swiping action...

Sioux = a happy bunny

Yay!

Cause I, too, missed that feature. It must have been a Google "thing" that has now been fixed.

Marilyn

Skull One

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Sioux = a happy bunny

Google is pretty good about spotting bugs in there search engine based on how people are using it. Glad to see the found a workaround for the iOS 7 Safari bugs.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wayyyhayyyy! Looks like Google were thinking along the same lines... The image carousel feature is back! Just tried it today on Safari and lo and behold the image carousel popped up complete with swiping action... Sioux = a happy bunny
The image carousel is not back for me when I tried just now.

Gabriel1

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The image carousel is not back for me when I tried just now.

It's kinda working on mine. When I touch an image I can then scroll through the images by flicking them left and right but don't see multiple images at the same time on the screen as it used to be.

The Archangel

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Mine is kind of here, but different than before.

image-433580451.jpg

It shows the pictures above and below, the one I tapped is enlarged, and I can slide to the previous/next picture.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with J.A. - as this is also what I have, now. It acts the same as my Windows 7 PC running Chrome.

Which is different from earlier, when I DID have the carousel. I did ... I did!! :)

Or, maybe I'm losing me mind. :D

Marilyn

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I'm with J.A. - as this is also what I have, now. It acts the same as my Windows 7 PC running Chrome. Which is different from earlier, when I DID have the carousel. I did ... I did!! :) Or, maybe I'm losing me mind. :D Marilyn
No, you are NOT losing your mind. I had it the first day after upgrading but everything changed once I shut it down and turned it on the next day it was gone! But this happened on my iPad 2.

Most reactions

Latest posts