What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Mini ipad or 5th Generation itouch.

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Help, please can someone help me make a decision as to which device would be best suited to my 11 year old daughter.im not sure which one to get her as Im aware than the itouch has retina display which is missing from the mini ipad. As an iPhone 5 user and new iPad user I'm aware what a difference this feature makes.

She will be mainly using the device to read books, FaceTime, watch videos and play games.

Somerled

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
www.deckyon.com
the mini will be easier to use overall with the larger screen. Also, retina aside, videos and books will cause less eye strain on the larger screen.

Also, I would look into iPad 2 pricing in comparison as well.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The Touch is much smaller but with a high res screen. You have to decide if she would like something the size of your iPhone 5 (a bit thinner) or something with more screen size. It will be easier to carry the Touch around...it has a strap that she can put around her wrist. I don't see a clear way to tell. The Mini as a 4:3 screen whereas the touch has a 16:9 (I think) screen. The Mini will be more handy when reading books because they fit on the screen a bit better. The greater size of the Mini is also better for games and videos, IMO. I say the Mini is the right one for her unless she has a preference for one or over the other.

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
The Touch is much smaller but with a high res screen. You have to decide if she would like something the size of your iPhone 5 (a bit thinner) or something with more screen size. It will be easier to carry the Touch around...it has a strap that she can put around her wrist. I don't see a clear way to tell. The Mini as a 4:3 screen whereas the touch has a 16:9 (I think) screen. The Mini will be more handy when reading books because they fit on the screen a bit better. The greater size of the Mini is also better for games and videos, IMO. I say the Mini is the right one for her unless she has a preference for one or over the other.

Thank you... I'm learning towards that way of thinking too mainly because she loves to read books, but I am a little unsure whether the screen quality will make a difference.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you... I'm learning towards that way of thinking too mainly because she loves to read books, but I am a little unsure whether the screen quality will make a difference.

Well, one can see the difference between a retina and 1024x768. My Google Nexus 7 has a 7-inch diagonal screen and a resolution of 1280x800, thus it's ppi is higher than that of the mini. I can tell the difference between it and my iPad 3 and my 4S. But, it is still good enough for reading. I would say it will make more difference for the parent than the child. Younger eyes versus older ones, etc. Frankly, I think you can't go wrong with either choice....(Mini or Touch)

digitalbits6

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple seems to offer every size now - all using the same eco system of same apps on iOS6. The iPad mini has all the pixels of the iPad2 1024 x 768, but on a smaller 7.9" screen. So the resolution is still pretty good and better than most laptops. The iPod Touch has super fine retina resolution 1136 x 640. The iPad mini weights 0.68 lbs (308 grams), the iPod Touch retina weighs only 3.10 oz (88 grams). So the trade off is screen size, weight and price.

Screen size: For email, txt, Facebook, Facetime, reading books, iPod Touch can do. For watching movies, playing games, the iPad mini's larger screen has an advantage. I like reading iBooks on my iPad vs my iPhone5, since the screen is bigger.

Weight: mini (308 grams) vs iPod Touch (88 grams) - no contest, Touch is almost 1/4 the weight.

Price: Touch starts at $299, mini $329. But mini offers cellular 4G (which means a monthly data plan of at least $10/mo on the share data plans). Chances are you will give your daughter a cell phone soon, so perhaps mini cellular is not a consideration. After all, with Hotspot, you can turn the phone into a WiFi hot spot to give data access to either device.

So figure out the size vs weight, ask your daughter about applications and about carrying something all day.

For some technical background on the screen resolution, the iPad mini display is pretty sharp - has 162 pixels per inch (ppi). The iPod Touch retina display has a very high resolution of 326 ppi. (MacBook Pro 15.4" display regular 1440 x 900 has 110 ppi, retina display 2880 x 1800 is 220 ppi)

Good luck.

Treborray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I_luv_Apple said:
Help, please can someone help me make a decision as to which device would be best suited to my 11 year old daughter.im not sure which one to get her as Im aware than the itouch has retina display which is missing from the mini ipad. As an iPhone 5 user and new iPad user I'm aware what a difference this feature makes.

She will be mainly using the device to read books, FaceTime, watch videos and play games.

I would say go with the iPad Mini... Especially for reading...

s2mikey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:

Actually, the mini still has a 4:3 screen. We are also going to get our youngest daughter either an iPod touch or a mini for Christmas. Tough call either way. I'll read this thread more and see what people think.

iPad2 32GB WiFi / iOS 6.0

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Actually, the mini still has a 4:3 screen. We are also going to get our youngest daughter either an iPod touch or a mini for Christmas. Tough call either way. I'll read this thread more and see what people think.

iPad2 32GB WiFi / iOS 6.0

To me, these two are very different devices even though the base models are similar in price. The Touch is an iPod, basically an iPhone without a phone, a go in your pocket device and a good everywhere device. The mini isn't that...though obviously it runs the same software. It is less portable. The 4:3 screen makes it more suitable as a second screen, a better reader and movie watcher, but a horrible iPod, not nearly as good when you are in a pinch...Heck, I could see a person owning both of these devices. OHTH, I think there is a lot of crossover in owning a touch and a iPhone (recognizing that many do because they got the touch before getting the phone or they wanted a extra device for storage).

OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi I did, hence the reason for posting on the forum. We were unsure which would be better for her and were unsure of the iPad mini specifications at the time.

zman

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OP
I_luv_Apple

I_luv_Apple

iPF Novice
Reaction score
zman said:
+1 more / Mini for sure :)

Thank you most kindly everyone! With your quality advice and guidance we have decided that the mini it is... Thanks again.

Most reactions