What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Mini obsolete already?

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The mini's weight is less than half that of the iPad 4. This is a huge difference in terms of hand holding. I currently try to use my iPad 3 but in stand mode and in my hands, but the weight causes me to put it down after about 15 minutes to grab my GN7.

I note that the mini is about 15mm wider than the GN7 and about 4mm longer. But it weighs 0.69 lbs versus ~.75 lbs for the GN7. I have to admit that the GN7 is a joy to hold but I can't really image how the mini will be in the hand.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm getting the mini. All of the upgrades for the iPad 3 went to support the screen other than LTE. The mini has fewer pixels but on a smaller screen. Plus it has facetime HD front camera and 5mp rear camera. It has better WiFi tech and LTE. And the lightning connector. A good mix of old and new tech.

So, if I get the mini can I just swap the Sim from my iPad the to the mini and keep rolling?

Surprised you'd compromise on screen quality, because I thought that was a big deal to you.

The additional portability of a mini is nice, but not enough tradeoff for me, especially since I have a Samsung Galaxy Note phablet. Even with a year-old model, I already had a better screen and cameras than the mini will offer, plus LTE and phone. If I were going to upgrade for portability, I'd get the new Note, which is even better than my original Note, and still have SD card support, which I love. But I don't need the upgrade.

I also got to keep my cheap unlimited data when I upgraded my Note from iPhone 4S, which made me happy. With iPad 1 and 2, AT&T allowed grandfathered unlimited customers to migrate to iPad 3. I wonder whether they will do likewise with the switch to mini iPad. I imagine they will with iPad 4, but who knows.

I might get an iPad mini the next time they upgrade it, depending on specs and competing hardware then. I wonder if that will come six months down the road.

For me, if what's offered now are mini iPad and iPad 4, I might as well get iPad 4, with all new innards and screen, especially since the price diffs are negligible between 64GB models.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Surprised you'd compromise on screen quality, because I thought that was a big deal to you.

The additional portability of a mini is nice, but not enough tradeoff for me, especially since I have a Samsung Galaxy Note phablet. Even with a year-old model, I already had a better screen and cameras than the mini will offer, plus LTE and phone. If I were going to upgrade for portability, I'd get the new Note, which is even better than my original Note, and still have SD card support, which I love. But I don't need the upgrade.

I also got to keep my cheap unlimited data when I upgraded my Note from iPhone 4S, which made me happy. With iPad 1 and 2, AT&T allowed grandfathered unlimited customers to migrate to iPad 3. I wonder whether they will do likewise with the switch to mini iPad. I imagine they will with iPad 4, but who knows.

I might get an iPad mini the next time they upgrade it, depending on specs and competing hardware then. I wonder if that will come six months down the road.

For me, if what's offered now are mini iPad and iPad 4, I might as well get iPad 4, with all new innards and screen, especially since the price diffs are negligible between 64GB models.

The screen does matter to me, but I will still have my iPad 3 and I will continue to use that for reading PDFs full of equations and such.

But I use my GN7 without a retina screen on the couch. I don't take it around since it has no cellular. The mini would be easier to carry about.

For me, I can off-load stuff from my iPad 3 onto the mini, so it is like getting extra storage and I can stop fighting with it on my iPad 3.

I am a bit concerned that the mini will be uncomfortable to hold in one hand in portrait mode, though.

I forgot about your Note. With it, the mini is just a tiny bump up. Yes, I think the iPad 4 would be a better option for you. It should feel like a nice jump in power from the iPad 2 and 1. The screen will be a big plus and the extra speed will be felt if you deal with scanned PDFs in high dpi (I have seen the iPad 3 get a bit laggy when doing a lot of zooming in/out in these cases. I hate to admit but I do have some scanned PDFs I use a lot when giving presentations). But the iPad 3 will have to do. I'm not going to upgrade it so soon after buying it.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The screen does matter to me, but I will still have my iPad 3 and I will continue to use that for reading PDFs full of equations and such.

But I use my GN7 without a retina screen on the couch. I don't take it around since it has no cellular. The mini would be easier to carry about.

For me, I can off-load stuff from my iPad 3 onto the mini, so it is like getting extra storage and I can stop fighting with it on my iPad 3.

I am a bit concerned that the mini will be uncomfortable to hold in one hand in portrait mode, though.

I forgot about your Note. With it, the mini is just a tiny bump up. Yes, I think the iPad 4 would be a better option for you. It should feel like a nice jump in power from the iPad 2 and 1. The screen will be a big plus and the extra speed will be felt if you deal with scanned PDFs in high dpi (I have seen the iPad 3 get a bit laggy when doing a lot of zooming in/out in these cases. I hate to admit but I do have some scanned PDFs I use a lot when giving presentations). But the iPad 3 will have to do. I'm not going to upgrade it so soon after buying it.

Yes, hand fit and weight are important with any mobile device. I hope mini works out as you'd like. A 7" device is great, I've found. I started out about that size with a Kindle e-ink several years ago and liked it from the start, and have been pleased with my Kindle Fire original, too.

I wouldn't upgrade from iPad 3 to 4, either.

I'm debating whether to get iPad 4, because I think 5 will be significantly better (maybe redesigned and lighter to boot), and Apple might pull that out of its hat in six months.

I also have a Kindle Fire HD 10" 64GB on order, and am thinking about getting the MS Surface pro next quarter. That, plus losing the flex of being able to swap my 3G SIM card between my iPad 1 and 2, and use the same chargers as my iPhone and touch, are giving me pause about iPad 4. I think I've talked myself into waiting till next quarter, at which point I will decide whether to get a Surface pro, and maybe there will be credible iPad 5 rumors by then.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I don't think Apples new small tablet will cause any reduction in the Android tablet sales. In fact some who were planing on buying the smaller Apple, will be turned off by it's high of a price. Today price is a BIG deal in the smaller tablet market. Apple feels it can push the price because it's the way it was done back when Apple had the tablet market to themselves. Them days are gone.

Treborray

iPF Noob
Reaction score
dov717 said:
Agreed, I would trade in my ipad 2 for a mini, but would still keep my kindle and android phone.

Sent from my PG86100 using Tapatalk 2

I was thinking about doing the same. Even though I hate to admit that I want the newest device.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
ipadder474 said:
I don't think Apples new small tablet will cause any reduction in the Android tablet sales. In fact some who were planing on buying the smaller Apple, will be turned off by it's high of a price. Today price is a BIG deal in the smaller tablet market. Apple feels it can push the price because it's the way it was done back when Apple had the tablet market to themselves. Them days are gone.

We will see. There are lots of people in the world and it is hard to get a feel for who is buying or not buying. I have had people call me asking about the mini who previously seemed to have little interest in the iPad. But they are attracted by the mini. And these folks will pay that price because they have funds and the know the apple brand and trust it.

The other side of this coin is that amazon is only interested in selling $200 tablets so they can push their content. Same with Google. If they don't end up selling enough content, then the days of the cheap tablet will be over. These companies have to turn a profit sooner or later, especially Google.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
We will see. There are lots of people in the world and it is hard to get a feel for who is buying or not buying. I have had people call me asking about the mini who previously seemed to have little interest in the iPad. But they are attracted by the mini. And these folks will pay that price because they have funds and the know the apple brand and trust it.

The other side of this coin is that amazon is only interested in selling $200 tablets so they can push their content. Same with Google. If they don't end up selling enough content, then the days of the cheap tablet will be over. These companies have to turn a profit sooner or later, especially Google.

I was reading last night that Samsung posted a sales of 7.8 billion dollars and it said much of the sales were on their new phones and the Galaxy tablets. I spoke with the in house Apple sales employee in my local Best Buy, I told him that in reading the iPad forum that many our shocked at the new mini iPads price. Also many who just bought a new iPad3 are really P.Oed at now finding a iPad4 is here. Maybe Apple does not think these items are a deal killer for people planing to buy new tablets and computers this coming Holiday, but many experts "and I am not including myself in this group" they are not betting it's going to be a great Holiday for Apple.
On another subject I read where Best Buy is banking on Microsoft's new Windows 8 is going to really make their poor sales performance become a thing of the past, I also read where some experts are not thinking the same. Lots of iPad sales happen at Best Buy and they are fighting for their lives today. If Best Buy does not have a great Holiday in sales, I think they will follow Circuit City and Comp-USA in going belly up. Then their is Google I don't think it is in anyone's best interest "HELLO APPLE" to get into a knock down fight with. It's just a fight they can't win and can't afford to keep fighting with. Again I am no expert just someone who owns a iPad2 "not upgraded to date" and a Mac book Pro. Also two Samsung Galaxy tablets and a Kindal Fire. I have no dog in this fight I am just looking at what everyone is doing and wondering where will it all end up.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I was reading last night that Samsung posted a sales of 7.8 billion dollars and it said much of the sales were on their new phones and the Galaxy tablets. I spoke with the in house Apple sales employee in my local Best Buy, I told him that in reading the iPad forum that many our shocked at the new mini iPads price. Also many who just bought a new iPad3 are really P.Oed at now finding a iPad4 is here. Maybe Apple does not think these items are a deal killer for people planing to buy new tablets and computers this coming Holiday, but many experts "and I am not including myself in this group" they are not betting it's going to be a great Holiday for Apple.
On another subject I read where Best Buy is banking on Microsoft's new Windows 8 is going to really make their poor sales performance become a thing of the past, I also read where some experts are not thinking the same. Lots of iPad sales happen at Best Buy and they are fighting for their lives today. If Best Buy does not have a great Holiday in sales, I think they will follow Circuit City and Comp-USA in going belly up. Then their is Google I don't think it is in anyone's best interest "HELLO APPLE" to get into a knock down fight with. It's just a fight they can't win and can't afford to keep fighting with. Again I am no expert just someone who owns a iPad2 "not upgraded to date" and a Mac book Pro. Also two Samsung Galaxy tablets and a Kindal Fire. I have no dog in this fight I am just looking at what everyone is doing and wondering where will it all end up.

I think we pretty much are all doing the same as you....looking to see what will happen. For a lot of this stuff, there is not a lot of history to look back at to see how the future will be, so each new change brings a new set of dynamics. I think one reason Apple brought the 4th gen Apple out like this is because they are feeling pressure from the Droiders. With Samsung and a host of others always bringing out new products all through the year, it makes Apple look slow to respond and many start to question their ability to lead the pack. They say apple is not keeping up, is getting behind, because there are a lot of Droiders trying this and that to make themselves stand out. It's hard to be on the top of a pack like that. And as soon as Apple responds to the noise, they get dinged by folks for making their stuff obsolete. Honestly, there is nothing they can do to avoid POing someone.

I would say that the people who buy a Kindle Fire are, on the whole, not likely to be the same people to buy Apples or Samsung products. The Kindle is a pure consumption device, meant to drive people to spend money on Amazon. Google tried to create a similar thing with the Nexus 7. Samsung makes more general purpose tablets, like their Galaxy Note 10.1, which has productivity features built in. Not designed to compete with Kindle. And neither is the Mini or the iPad 4. At least apple didn't try to compete on the low end and have left room for competition. In fact, on Monday Google is set to announce the Google Nexus 10, with a resolution higher than that of iPad.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I think we pretty much are all doing the same as you....looking to see what will happen. For a lot of this stuff, there is not a lot of history to look back at to see how the future will be, so each new change brings a new set of dynamics. I think one reason Apple brought the 4th gen Apple out like this is because they are feeling pressure from the Droiders. With Samsung and a host of others always bringing out new products all through the year, it makes Apple look slow to respond and many start to question their ability to lead the pack. They say apple is not keeping up, is getting behind, because there are a lot of Droiders trying this and that to make themselves stand out. It's hard to be on the top of a pack like that. And as soon as Apple responds to the noise, they get dinged by folks for making their stuff obsolete. Honestly, there is nothing they can do to avoid POing someone.

I would say that the people who buy a Kindle Fire are, on the whole, not likely to be the same people to buy Apples or Samsung products. The Kindle is a pure consumption device, meant to drive people to spend money on Amazon. Google tried to create a similar thing with the Nexus 7. Samsung makes more general purpose tablets, like their Galaxy Note 10.1, which has productivity features built in. Not designed to compete with Kindle. And neither is the Mini or the iPad 4. At least apple didn't try to compete on the low end and have left room for competition. In fact, on Monday Google is set to announce the Google Nexus 10, with a resolution higher than that of iPad.

I bought my first jump into tablets with my Kindal Fire, bought before buying my iPad2 I only use it to store pictures on today, and hardly even use it. One of the items I have found is there is a lot more user App's at the Google Play Store then I find at the Apple Store. And many of the App's at the Google Play Store are "FREE" and many of the others are in the $1.99 area. I find many high priced App's at the Apple store. Take the News Stand at the Apple Store, I don't see USA Today or CNET also no NBC News. I can't even search the Apple Store like I can the Google Play Store.
Another item that really bothers me is if I want my music files to move from my computer I must use Apples Itune's. With my Android Tablets, I can just use their USB interface to transfer the files direct from computer to Tablet. With my iPad2 it's not that simple.
I still feel Apple is making a BIG mistake in not having (1) a USB interface (2) a Micro memory slot. These two items I and many others wish were on the iPads.
The Market is where people cast their vote's with their money, so time will soon tell what happens.
When speaking to my local Apple guy in my local Best Buy and brought up the higher price of the new Mini IPad. What he first said is just look at the material of the iPads housing, The Androids are plastic "plastic is a name that is far outdated today" and replied our iPad housings are made of solid aluminum. Well a lot of really strong items are today made with "Non Metal Material and I have seen a lot of all metal items that have failed. So this item he was using to justify the higher cost, does not impress me. Myself I would have just said Apple has better engineering. Oh well.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I bought my first jump into tablets with my Kindal Fire, bought before buying my iPad2 I only use it to store pictures on today, and hardly even use it. One of the items I have found is there is a lot more user App's at the Google Play Store then I find at the Apple Store. And many of the App's at the Google Play Store are "FREE" and many of the others are in the $1.99 area. I find many high priced App's at the Apple store. Take the News Stand at the Apple Store, I don't see USA Today or CNET also no NBC News. I can't even search the Apple Store like I can the Google Play Store.
Another item that really bothers me is if I want my music files to move from my computer I must use Apples Itune's. With my Android Tablets, I can just use their USB interface to transfer the files direct from computer to Tablet. With my iPad2 it's not that simple.
I still feel Apple is making a BIG mistake in not having (1) a USB interface (2) a Micro memory slot. These two items I and many others wish were on the iPads.
The Market is where people cast their vote's with their money, so time will soon tell what happens.
When speaking to my local Apple guy in my local Best Buy and brought up the higher price of the new Mini IPad. What he first said is just look at the material of the iPads housing, The Androids are plastic "plastic is a name that is far outdated today" and replied our iPad housings are made of solid aluminum. Well a lot of really strong items are today made with "Non Metal Material and I have seen a lot of all metal items that have failed. So this item he was using to justify the higher cost, does not impress me. Myself I would have just said Apple has better engineering. Oh well.

Well, I don't see a need to discuss the diffs and pro/cons of apple vs android, this has been said many many times before. Just remember that the iPad came out in 2010 with no slots and no usb and that hasn't stopped anything. Apple is well known for the type of engineering they do, that is just how they are. Many others have followed suit on that score. Windows laptops have improved greatly over the last few years due to Apple influence. Apple is not going to change how they do things and their success tells them they don't need to.

But we have many choices today. if you want usb and slots on a tablet, you can have that. I have Android tablets and well as Apple tablets. They don't need to be the same. Oh, and there are other ways besides iTunes to get content to your Apple. You might find it fun to explore some of them.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well, I don't see a need to discuss the diffs and pro/cons of apple vs android, this has been said many many times before. Just remember that the iPad came out in 2010 with no slots and no usb and that hasn't stopped anything. Apple is well known for the type of engineering they do, that is just how they are. Many others have followed suit on that score. Windows laptops have improved greatly over the last few years due to Apple influence. Apple is not going to change how they do things and their success tells them they don't need to.

But we have many choices today. if you want usb and slots on a tablet, you can have that. I have Android tablets and well as Apple tablets. They don't need to be the same. Oh, and there are other ways besides iTunes to get content to your Apple. You might find it fun to explore some of them.

Well I don't see you disputing the App. items not found or the amount of App's at the Apple Store I posted about. But that's just a fact anyone looking at what they both offer can see it for themselves. And you post "You might find it fun to explore some of them." I had the idea by posting in this iPad forum I just might get some help and direction, without my exploring and exploring what?

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm a fan of slots and USB support, too, but don't expect them from Apple.

Apple has huge profit margins, so it's not a matter of it commanding high prices because of the materials it uses. It sets those prices because the market will bear it for Apple's combination of hardware and ecosystem.

Apple does generally make solid devices, but so do other makers, and plastic isn't a prob if used appropriately.

Let's face it, with tech gadgets, the hardware is outliving the firmware and we're all dumping gadgets and trading up because we want better features, not because the hardware has given out, in most cases.

I have a boxful of obsolete tech gadgets, including ones made out of plastic (like my old Palm Pilot), and they're in perfect physical condition all these years later. I don't need tech gadgets that will maintain physical integrity for decades, because I don't expect to use them that long. None of us do.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Well I don't see you disputing the App. items not found or the amount of App's at the Apple Store I posted about. But that's just a fact anyone looking at what they both offer can see it for themselves. And you post "You might find it fun to explore some of them." I had the idea by posting in this iPad forum I just might get some help and direction, without my exploring and exploring what?

I didn't see the need as it has been discussed over and over. I have a ton of Android apps...and I will tell you about free apps...the all come with ads...and I hate them. I'd rather pay $2 and get no ads...and these days there are "in app purchases", these aren't so bad, but if you can get the main app for free and then have to do an IAP before you can do anything else, I'd rather just pay. I use a lot of apps, too, on both devices. For the tablet, the iOS side is better. I could not even run Navigon on my Google Nexus 7, due to some issue that have no idea about. Also, could not run Smart Tools on it at first, but I wrote the developer and he was nice enough to make it work. I've not had problems like that on iOS.

As for the other part, you have to ask questions to get responses, but it seems there are some more things you can learn regarding what can be done with iOS. The days of the wire are long passed.

ipadder474

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I didn't see the need as it has been discussed over and over. I have a ton of Android apps...and I will tell you about free apps...the all come with ads...and I hate them. I'd rather pay $2 and get no ads...and these days there are "in app purchases", these aren't so bad, but if you can get the main app for free and then have to do an IAP before you can do anything else, I'd rather just pay. I use a lot of apps, too, on both devices. For the tablet, the iOS side is better. I could not even run Navigon on my Google Nexus 7, due to some issue that have no idea about. Also, could not run Smart Tools on it at first, but I wrote the developer and he was nice enough to make it work. I've not had problems like that on iOS.

As for the other part, you have to ask questions to get responses, but it seems there are some more things you can learn regarding what can be done with iOS. The days of the wire are long passed.

I have upgraded three of my free App's to pay App's mainly I like supporting the people who write them. Seems the right thing to do. And I agree I will just keep wandering on. Thanks for your replies.

Most reactions

Latest posts