What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Left My Ipad 2 Charging for more Than 6 Hours

Animalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fell asleep waiting for it to fully charge only to wake up 6 hours later. Will this hurt my Ipad or its battery?

Hasty

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Doubt it.
Left my iPad1 charging overnight loads of times without any problem.

As long as it works, you're good to go :)

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I fell asleep waiting for it to fully charge only to wake up 6 hours later. Will this hurt my Ipad or its battery?

The iPad can be left permanently connected to the charger, if you wish (I do). It has a highly 'intelligent' charging controller that automatically controls the precise charging current. There is no chance of the iPad being 'overcharged', as might have been the case with similar devices many years ago.

Tim

OP
A

Animalistic

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I panic and thought the battery was going to decreased its prefomance but is good to know it doesn't hurt at all.

Thanks to all of you for your reponses.

afzimm

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I connected my new IPad 2 to my PC using the USB port I got a little message saying " not charging". Well I left it hooked up anyway, ( this is how I ALWAYS charge my IPOD TOUCH) and in about 3 hours it was back to 100 per cent. So you can recharge your IPad from your pc. When I travel I have to make sure to have all the charging tools along. One for the phone, one for the laptop, one for the camera. My IPad 2's battery is quite incredible as to long lasting ability compared to my laptop ( which I havent used since I got the new IPad 2) cheers.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
When I connected my new IPad 2 to my PC using the USB port I got a little message saying " not charging". Well I left it hooked up anyway, ( this is how I ALWAYS charge my IPOD TOUCH) and in about 3 hours it was back to 100 per cent. So you can recharge your IPad from your pc. When I travel I have to make sure to have all the charging tools along. One for the phone, one for the laptop, one for the camera. My IPad 2's battery is quite incredible as to long lasting ability compared to my laptop ( which I havent used since I got the new IPad 2) cheers.

The supplied iPad charger is a 10W device that can charge at about 2A. A regular USB port on a computer is limited to about 500 mA - or about a quarter of the iPad charger's output. So, yes, you can (slowly) charge the iPad from a USB port - but it will take significantly longer to charge.

Tim

jtrosky

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Tim SPRACKLEN said:
The supplied iPad charger is a 10W device that can charge at about 2A. A regular USB port on a computer is limited to about 500 mA - or about a quarter of the iPad charger's output. So, yes, you can (slowly) charge the iPad from a USB port - but it will take significantly longer to charge.

Tim

What about that ASUS utility that allows standard USB ports to charge the iPad? Does anyone know if that really causes the USB port to supply more power or is it just somehow "fooling" the iPad to think it's providing more power than it really is? I just don't understand how a simple app can increase the amount of power that the USB port can output, especially since it seems to work with all motherboards (all I've tried anyway)!

Anyone really know if it charges any faster (or at all) when using the ASUS utility?

Thanks!

NAYo2002

iPF Noob
Reaction score
What about that ASUS utility that allows standard USB ports to charge the iPad? Does anyone know if that really causes the USB port to supply more power or is it just somehow "fooling" the iPad to think it's providing more power than it really is? I just don't understand how a simple app can increase the amount of power that the USB port can output, especially since it seems to work with all motherboards (all I've tried anyway)!

Anyone really know if it charges any faster (or at all) when using the ASUS utility?

Thanks!

A little off topic but interesting. I'm not sure 500mA limit is due to the USB or just being limited by the PC to protect devices attached to USB.

For orignal topic, most electronics since early 90's know to stop charging as soon as battery hits 100%. Recently, most electronics will begin trickle charging around 95% to ensure battery longivity. Even if the device says 100% charged it can be hanging around in actuality between 95-100%.

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I would like to see a USB powerbar. Kind of like the standard plug one with about 15 USB ports. I have a lot of devices and so does my wife and three children. If we go to a hotel or something we scramble for wall plugs. LOL

Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
I would like to see a USB powerbar. Kind of like the standard plug one with about 15 USB ports. I have a lot of devices and so does my wife and three children. If we go to a hotel or something we scramble for wall plugs. LOL

You could always buy a powered USB hub.

Attachments

• image-2348374041.png
    image-2348374041.png
    236.5 KB · Views: 366
Last edited:

Ncaissie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ncaissie said:

You could always buy a powered USB hub.

Would that power the Ipad 2 at the proper rate?

Reaction score
Ncaissie said:
Would that power the Ipad 2 at the proper rate?

Probably not. I haven't come across a USB hub supplying 2A per port.

But for charging multiple USB devices, a powered hub is still a good choice. And if looks are important, this one from Trust may be an option, too:

Attachments

• image-3340924876.png
    image-3340924876.png
    288.1 KB · Views: 719

Most reactions

Latest posts