What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Keyboard for native iPhone/iPod apps displaying incorrectly on Jailbroken iPad 2 Wifi

iPadNewby01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

I have recently purchased an iPad 2 wifi and am running Jailbroken iOS 5.1.1 thanks to Pod2g. However, after installing an app which displays native iPhone /iPod apps in a higher resolution in 2x mode I have come across a problem with the keyboard I can't solve. The functionality has not gone, I can still type whatever I want. It is the display of the keyboard that is not working. I cant see which letters shoukd be where, this isnt a huge problem as I know where every letter shoukd be but it looks like garbage. I have done everything possible except completely restoring to try and fix the problem. None have worked. If anyone knows if a fix I'd be grateful.

I'll post an image but as you know I need 3 posts to do so so watch this space.

Thanks

OP
I

iPadNewby01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And an image

f57228ca.jpg

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Which app is it that gives that weird keyboard? Or, what's the tweak you installed to make native iPhone apps scale better?

Marilyn

OP
I

iPadNewby01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Which app is it that gives that weird keyboard? Or, what's the tweak you installed to make native iPhone apps scale better?

Marilyn

Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your response. It's all native iPhone/iPod apps with a keyboard function except Hippo Remote whose keyboard works in a completely different way.

Joe

OP
I

iPadNewby01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Probably this is one of the bugs the tweak gives.

I've uninstalled all tweaks/cydia apps, cleared the cache and resprung. That was my thought as well. Am Iwrong in thinking uninstalling all my tweaks and apps would clear the bug?

OP
I

iPadNewby01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Marilyn,

Thanks for your response. It's all native iPhone/iPod apps with a keyboard function except Hippo Remote whose keyboard works in a completely different way.

Joe

That includes Whatsapp, Viber, fake Carrier, Amazon, PayPal & Red Laser Classic.

The tweaks were Full Force initially then followed by retinapad

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Oh, I wonder if it's RetinaPad?

I installed RetinaPad on my iPad3 and it mucked it all up! I had to restore to stock iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jailbreak. Not fun!

I posted a thread about RetinaPad for the iPad3 (here: http://www.ipadforums.net/showthread.php?t=77329). I thought it just affected the iPad3. In fact, a member posted that RetinaPad seemed to be working on their iPad2 with no issues. But - now I wonder if it's iOS 5.1.1 that's the culprit....

Is there anything else that doesn't work right? With mine, one thing was couldn't get Safari to stay open. I'd launch it, it'd load (but with no icons in the upper bar). Then, when I press a bookmark on the Bookmark bar, bam! Down it'd go! In addition, in the Settings app, all the highlights were black colored and my status bar was a strange color and didn't show a WiFi signal (though I was connected to the Internet). It was definitely all messed up. I uninstalled RetinaPad, restarted, resprung and rebooted (more than once) - nothing. In the end, I was forced to restore.

All of this to say - you might want to restore the iPad. Yeah, it's going be a pain. But, better that than deal with the keyboard like that. And who knows what else might be happening "under the hood."

Sorry, but that's what I recommend - and then stay away from RetinaPad! And maybe even FullForce...

Marilyn

OP
I

iPadNewby01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, I wonder if it's RetinaPad?

I installed RetinaPad on my iPad3 and it mucked it all up! I had to restore to stock iOS 5.1.1 and then re-jailbreak. Not fun!

I posted a thread about RetinaPad for the iPad3 (here: WARNING! RetinaPad NOT Compatible With iPad3!). I thought it just affected the iPad3. In fact, a member posted that RetinaPad seemed to be working on their iPad2 with no issues. But - now I wonder if it's iOS 5.1.1 that's the culprit....

Is there anything else that doesn't work right? With mine, one thing was couldn't get Safari to stay open. I'd launch it, it'd load (but with no icons in the upper bar). Then, when I press a bookmark on the Bookmark bar, bam! Down it'd go! In addition, in the Settings app, all the highlights were black colored and my status bar was a strange color and didn't show a WiFi signal (though I was connected to the Internet). It was definitely all messed up. I uninstalled RetinaPad, restarted, resprung and rebooted (more than once) - nothing. In the end, I was forced to restore.

All of this to say - you might want to restore the iPad. Yeah, it's going be a pain. But, better that than deal with the keyboard like that. And who knows what else might be happening "under the hood."

Sorry, but that's what I recommend - and then stay away from RetinaPad! And maybe even FullForce...

Marilyn

Hi Marylin,

Thanks for your response.

I had initially installed retinapad (without Full Force) and had no problems. The keyboard was in full working order. I then read about a tweak that installed Siri so I thought I'd give it a whirl. Unfortunately it didn't agree with my iPad (stuck on boot screen) so had to do a full restore. Once restored I re-jailbroke and found Full Force which claimed full screen for native iPhone apps and then of course I wanted retinapad for the definition. It was after I installed these two tweaks in this order the problem occurred. Had I installed retinapad on its own without Full Force I'm confident the above image wouldn't of happened. Either way, I'll restore re-re-jailbreak, install retinapad without Full Force and report the outcome back here for anyone who may come across the same problem.

To answer your question: No, there are no other issues except one. On rare occasions hidden apps will show and so will Winterboard (I have the option to hide it selected). I simply click on Fast Respring or iWipe and it hides them once again. Slightly annoying but easily and quickly overcome. None of the issues above you experienced have happened to me.

Thanks again,

Joe

Last edited:

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Ah. Thanks for the detailed reply. Good to know it probably isn't like my problem.

I will be interested to see how it all works for you when you get it all back together (and try RetinaPad again).

So, yes please - do keep us updated. Thanks.

Marilyn

OP
I

iPadNewby01

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah. Thanks for the detailed reply. Good to know it probably isn't like my problem.

I will be interested to see how it all works for you when you get it all back together (and try RetinaPad again).

So, yes please - do keep us updated. Thanks.

Marilyn

Hi,

So I restored, re-re-jailbroke and installed Retinapad without Full Force and my keyboard is back to normal. If anyone has the same issue I have had it would seem Full Force is the culprit. I'm tempted to install it again just to test but I'm steering clear until I have more time on my hands.

Thanks for your help Marilyn.

Joe

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Glad to hear you got it all sorted. And, thanks for the update. Always good to hear back on success stories.

Marilyn

tonirags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I am having the same problem and I have never installed full force! I do however use retina pad. I would hope that a simple uninstall of retina pad will solve the issue, I really don't want to have to restore and re-jailbreak!

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I just wanted to add that I am having the same problem and I have never installed full force! I do however use retina pad. I would hope that a simple uninstall of retina pad will solve the issue, I really don't want to have to restore and re-jailbreak!

Unfortunately, it seems as if that may indeed be your only choice, if you wish to have a "normal" keyboard in an iPhone app. Nothing else any member has tried - short of a full restore - has worked.

Sorry, but I don't see a way out for you. Of course, if you do find one ( and believe you me, I'd love to be wrong, for your sake), could you please post back and tell us what you did to fix the problem? That way, others in the same situation may be able to learn from your method. Thanks.

Marilyn

tonirags

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I tried uninstalling retina pad and I tried disabling other tweaks hoping that another one may be the cause of the problem. Nothing worked and I ended up restoring and re-jailbreaking! Sacred to reinstall retina pad though...don't want to go through that again!

Most reactions