What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken iPad 2: Cydia apps installed, but nothing works

Are all your jailbreak apps on your jailbroken iPad 2 still working as advertised?

• Yes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • No

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'll preface this by saying this has nothing to do with the A4 untethered jailbreak that was released. I didn't mistakenly attempt a jailbreak on my A5 device. In fact, I haven't even used the iPad 2 much since before the weekend (stupid holidays :)) started.

Anyway, as odd as it may sound, the iPad is jailbroken. Cydia is installed. Cydia can be launched and apps can be installed. However, every Cydia app that is installed isn't working -- almost as if they're not installed on the device. It's like the iPad is in safe mode (and no, it's not in Safe Mode).

Just as an example, Barrel, FolderEnhancer, and Lockinfo are all installed, yet none of these apps are working. No transition effects. No multiple folders within folders and no lockscreen information. After poking around, I noticed in the native Settings app, none of the Cydia apps are listed (I used to have a long list there).

The last thing I remember doing was reading on Zite, I put it down and went out. When I came back home, I noticed the app crashed while it was refreshing its content and the screen went black for an extended period. I did a hard reset (power and home button) and when it came back, it was in the aforementioned state.

Has anyone come across this? I'm hoping/thinking it's a stupid fix since there was no foul play here. Thanks!

steelew

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing here except I updated mobile substrate and two others (that I can't remember) that had to do with updating cydia. Now I am stuck in safe mode even though nothing tells me I'm in safe mode and doesn't allow me to exit safe mode. I've tried changing settings in SBsettings to trigger a respring (which it did but I'm still in safe mode). Right now, I'm trying to figure out what else updated yesterday. Also my ipad was fine until I turned it off at the end of the night. It worked for hours after the update.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There was a mobile substrate update listed in Cydia? I don't recall that, never mind doing it. For what it's worth, I definitely always update my apps, so if there was a mobile substrate update, then I did it.

For me, SBSettings isn't on the spingboard, nor is it in Settings. The only way I can find it is by searching for it. Triggering a respring, like you, didn't help.

At least I know I'm not the only one with this problem. Hopefully, someone can offer us some help!

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Don't worry, I'm with you guys, since the update in Cydia, all hell broke loose, it's still jail broken, just nothing showing up in settings. Very weird.

I'll let you know if I find a solution!

So it was a mobile substrate update in Cydia? Was there such an update for the iPhone? I don't recall either! :eek:

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
I finally bit the bullet and followed f4780y's fantastic restore process, I do this on a fairly regular basis as I find it keeps all the gaps filled from app deletion and the ipad running smoothly. See below for link..... PLEASE NOTE THIS SHOULD ONLY BE DONE IF YOU HAVE SAVED SHSH BLOBS FOR CURRENT J.B IOS

http://www.ipadforums.net/jailbreak...-your-ipad-using-tinyumbrella-shsh-blobs.html

I then resynced everything back on board. Its still going as yet, so I will pop back and let you know how I got on, I'm sure it will sort it, I will just check what updates from Cydia I get, if it happens again I will make note of the dodgy update that caused it and report back here.
Remember just like everything in life, things can get glitchy and messy and problems occur, but its not a problem as long as you have your blobs saved!! Yes it takes a bit of time, but at least you get a nice spanky new Jailbreak and in some cases a faster and smoother running iPad!!

Chris

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Note, there has been a new update to Mobile Substrate this morning. I suspect it resolves the issue some folks were having with JB apps not behaving as though the device was jailbroken.

My iPad1 was doing something similar to the OP's post yesterday... Seems fine now I have applied the update.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the replies and help everyone. I'm going to see if that mobile substrate update is available on my iPad. I did notice it on the iPhone (I didn't do it though, since I'm now scared lol). Of course, Cydia isn't refreshing. Whenever it does, and that update is available, I'll give it a shot. If that doesn't work, I'll just rejailbreak like Rambler suggested. Of course I have my SHSH blobs saved ;)

I'll write back later with an update. Thanks again!

TheRambler

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
theramblersramblings.blogspot.co.uk
It's a case of waiting for the refresh! Watch as it is happening and make sure it doesn't report any errors in the top left refresh pane whilst it goes through it's checks.

It may take a day to finally calm down, but it's easier than rejailbreaking etc.

Last edited:
OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Good tip! I'll try and remember that, especially since I'm not the most patient person in the world (god bless my girlfriend!) -- especially when it comes to electronics.

OP
verbalj

verbalj

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ah yes, now this is a thing of beauty!

Attachments

• image-1981078762.png
    image-1981078762.png
    704.6 KB · Views: 551

Most reactions

Latest posts