What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad 2 keeps rebooting after installing Cydia app

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All was good on my JB iPad 2, I went looking for a cellular data metering app, found one on Cydia (can't recall the name, it was the one with free trial then a few bucks to buy) installed it, then it prompted to reboot. After rebooting, the lock page came up fine, but the home screen looks very different, (the logos spaced differently and not all ), and when swiping to the left to the search page, an iPhone keyboard comes up. I fear I may have installed an iPhone only app.

Worst of all, when I click on any app, the screen switches for a half a second, then freezes, then the iPad reboots. This happens on every app I've tried, including Cydia.

I just bought this last week so I don't have my SHSH blobs to do a 4.3.3 restore.

Am I screwed? Is restoring to iOS 5 the only way out?

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you have sbsettings installed and you can open it, tap on power and go to safe mode.
If you can't... Then sorry.

A good jailbreaker always leaves a way out. So, I recommend using something like activator to set an event to go into safe mode.

I think you are screwed.

OP
S

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I figured I might be. I didn't manually install sbsettings, would another package have installed it (like winterboard gets installed)?

I see the culprit app on my home screen "Data Counter", if I "X" it out, will that delete it, getting me back to where I need to be?

I saw this thread, looks like I'm not the only one.
http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-hacking/40107-ipad-2-4-3-3-reboot-after-clicking-app-help.html

I am brand new to Apple, iOS, and JBing. I've read of lot of stuff, about 4.3.3 SHSH blobs, baseband, before Jbing etc. but would like to know a lot more, is there a good primer I can read about sbsettings, activator and other things I should know?

It's safe to say I'm not a good JBer yet!

Last edited:
OP
S

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, since it was installed in Cydia, I can't "X" it out, so no can delete from the home page.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A useful tool called cydelete will make the "x" appear on Cydia apps but I guess that doesn't help now.

I really don't know what to say.
Just be careful in the future. Only install apps that you know work with iPad.

OP
S

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
All good lessons. That sbsettings looks pretty sweet. What else should I have on it next time around?

Looks like it is iOS 5 (looking forward to tabs in Safari) and then waiting for me. From the sounds of it, it may not be too long thankfully.

Was just getting into JBing and hadn't installed much yet....I am going to miss my 5 row keyboard, though.

Thanks for your help.

OP
S

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The worst part of this whole ordeal? It keeps beeping when new emails come in, and I can't get to them. I swear this thing is mocking me.

Last edited:
OP
S

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've come to that conclusion as well.

I was on the fence about upgrading to iOS 5...now that decision has been made for me. There are some cool features, but most of them seem geared toward the iPhones, and I would rather be JB. At least I will be ready when the iPad2 iOS5 JB comes out. Fingers crossed.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Do you have OpenSSH installed by any chance?

If so you can force SafeMode from the command line by using a tool such as Putty from your PC.

enter the following command:

touch /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat

then respring (which you can force by clicking any icon).

That will force safemode and allow you to launch Cydia and remove the offending app. And remember to double check details when you install new apps in the future. Make sure it is iPad compatible. You get into all sorts of trouble installing old iPhone apps!

kschong710

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seamus517 said:
All was good on my JB iPad 2, I went looking for a cellular data metering app, found one on Cydia (can't recall the name, it was the one with free trial then a few bucks to buy) installed it, then it prompted to reboot. After rebooting, the lock page came up fine, but the home screen looks very different, (the logos spaced differently and not all ), and when swiping to the left to the search page, an iPhone keyboard comes up. I fear I may have installed an iPhone only app.

Worst of all, when I click on any app, the screen switches for a half a second, then freezes, then the iPad reboots. This happens on every app I've tried, including Cydia.

I just bought this last week so I don't have my SHSH blobs to do a 4.3.3 restore.

Am I screwed? Is restoring to iOS 5 the only way out?

Hi,I also having this issue after update Cydia software yesterday.it alway reboot....reboot...and I make decision to restore the FW4.3.3 after that back to reinstall JB.now I still confuse what is the problem after update Cydia app...

OP
S

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Unfortunately I did not...I am brand new to Apple and JBing, but nobody to blame but myself here. I had started reading about openSSH...about the only thing I knew was not to keep the default password...but was trying to learn more before taking the plunge. I thought I was on the safe side by not putting something on before completely understanding it. (Something I should have done before upgrading the mobile substrate and installing that stupid data counter app!) If we are graced with an iPad 2 JB for iOS 5, I won't make that same mistake of not having openSSH installed. Is there a good primer where I can read everything I need to know for next time? What else should I have installed?

So given my choices of restoring and losing JB and the world's most expensive paperweight, I went with the former. At least I had iOS 5 to go to...if my only choice was 4.3.5, I would really be kicking myself. On the bright side, I am now an EXPERT on getting my iPad into DFU mode...

I ran into an issue when I was restoring and wanted to share it here for anyone else having the same problem.

I got iTunes to recognize that it was an iPad in recovery mode, clicked on restore & upgrade, but during the "verification" kept getting an unnumbered error saying "Free ipad software update server could not be contacted or is temporarily unavailable" and was banging my head into the wall trying to figure out what was going on. I tried lots of different things, unDFUing and reDFUing, rebooting, system restore to an earlier point, disabling my firewall (since it seemed the problem occurred when trying to connect to the Apple server) and eventually found the issue in my HOSTS file. The last line read

74.208.10.249 gs.apple.com

so it was trying to conect to the Cydia Apple-spoofing servers when I needed it to connect to the real Apple servers.

So I put a # in front of that line (I imagine deleting it would have worked too) , and after that it worked like a charm.

Hope this can help somebody stuck in the same position.

Do you have OpenSSH installed by any chance?bout

If so you can force SafeMode from the command line by using a tool such as Putty from your PC.

enter the following command:

touch /var/mobile/Library/Preferences/com.saurik.mobilesubstrate.dat

then respring (which you can force by clicking any icon).

That will force safemode and allow you to launch Cydia and remove the offending app. And remember to double check details when you install new apps in the future. Make sure it is iPad compatible. You get into all sorts of trouble installing old iPhone apps!

OP
S

seamus517

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seems like several others were having the same issue, so it may not be related to the Data Counter app as I previously suspected.

From what I read it appears that an update to the mobile substrate is what is causing this issue, and maybe only on iPad 2s.

kschong710

iPF Noob
Reaction score
seamus517 said:
Seems like several others were having the same issue, so it may not be related to the Data Counter app as I previously suspected.

From what I read it appears that an update to the mobile substrate is what is causing this issue, and maybe only on iPad 2s.

I agree

Most reactions