What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak and Warranty

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
You are one of our youngest awesome contributors ~ you know that. But I think those little batteries are based on number of posts. Don't trip about them so much, really.:)

I take the trophy for youngest contributor! And yes, don't forget those batteries!

(I with my iPad had that much charge with all the batteries I have!)

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
Even though I have half the posts of demandarin. I wish there was a status above "iPad master". I think demandarin, me, and many others are past being a master.

Well thanks for the shout out n recognition. You are right, there either needs to be a status above iPad master or delay iPad master till more posts are reached. iPad master starts at like 200-300 posts. Wayy to easy to obtain. Or they could add a rep points/thanks point system to where if someone found your post truly helpful, they could give u those points by just hitting a tab on their browser or whatever.
Keep up the great work though, young sky walker, u will become a Jedi knight in no time. ;-). You are a lucky and very smart young man. I wish I had an iPad at your age. I'm not old, only 31, but you got a great head start. Definitely use the iPad to your advantage for schooling purposes, Seriously.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

Attachments

• image-1159431720.png
    image-1159431720.png
    1,014.5 KB · Views: 191

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Wow. Such humility and modesty.. :)
I must be have been naive to say on another post that helping folks is fun. Apparently it's all about the rep and status. If I'd known I would have been posting replies like a mad man earlier... :D
Now, where's that sarcasm tag?

PS, can I be downgraded to an iPad n00b please?

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I must be have been naive to say on another post that helping folks is fun. Apparently it's all about the rep and status. If I'd known I would have been posting replies like a mad man earlier... :D

They are young and well ~ the young want it all, damn it!:D

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
f4780y said:

Lmao. U weren't naive in saying that. I enjoy helping others out as well. Just giving back to the community from the tons of help I got from it myself. The rep/status thing is just fun but the new suggestions would let folks know who the "Real" iPad gurus/Godfathers are..lol

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

Attachments

• image-3694705086.png
    image-3694705086.png
    368 KB · Views: 208

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Here is my personal experience with jailbreaking an Apple mobile device and their warranty...

The first device I ever tried to JB was a 1st generation iPod Touch and it was nowhere near as seamless as it is now. Of course it didn't go well and I was almost ready to toss it in the dust bin because I couldn't get it un-stuck. Of course I knew I couldn't call Apple because I had just voided my warranty. But it was a toll-free number and the worst thing they could do was tell me that they couldn't (or wouldn't) help me.

So I call and this woman comes on the line and asks about the nature of my call. I explain what I did and she said, "No problem, I can help you." As you can already imagine, all I had to do was do a hard reset and restore my iPod. Of course she didn't stay on the phone the whole time, but long enough to make sure it was working.

So I asked her, "If my warranty had just been voided, why did she help me?" She said that if she had not helped me, there was a good chance I would have just thrown my iPod away and Apple would have most likely lost a customer, but by helping me restore my iPod, I would remember this experience and remain a (hopefully) loyal Apple customer who would continue to purchase content for my iPod and (hopefully) buy more Apple products in the future.

And that is pretty much why I have an iPad now.

Your happy experience was good to read about but it does not mean we all will get the same treatment. Clearly, it voids your warranty because Apple has said so. What we do know is one person's story with a friendly Apple Drone, that turned out well. That might not be the case when I FU my iDevice and I want it repaired.

According to Apple or depending upon how you understand their boilerplate, it does void your warranty. If you read the Apple iPad Warranty, they can charge you a 'diagnostic fee' if "your product has failed due to or has incompatibilities with software or data residing or recorded on your product."

Quote from Apple's public JB opinion, "“Apple’s goal has always been to insure that our customers have a great experience with their iPhone and we know that jailbreaking can severely degrade the experience. As we’ve said before, the vast majority of customers do not jailbreak their iPhones as this can violate the warranty and can cause the iPhone to become unstable and not work reliably.â€

I'll say it: Apples position rewritten is this: "Apple's goal has always been to control every aspect of your iLife and we see jail breaking as a threat to the profits generated by iTunes and the App Store. We hate Flash and you do not need themes or file access. Remember, we own you, your devices, and we know best how you must spend your iMoney. As we have said before, the vast majority of customers are foolish and they provide the endless pit of ready cash as being vital to our self-interests, and we know that jailbreaking can severely damage our corporate user experience of earning vast amounts of iCash. By changing your iDevice, you ruined our version of Utopia and that will not be tolerated. Screw with us and change our iDevices and we will make you pay. We know people and one day, you might wake up with a horse's head in your bed."

The LOC/DMCA ruling of late gives us the legal right to JB our device but it does not prevent the manufacturer from charging us if we break our device and seek repairs. Just like modifying any consumer device and expecting to get a warranty repair for free is not fair to the manufacturer.

For the record, I think that is fair. I Greenpois0ned my iPad and I'll accept the costs of repair.

So here is an open question for the gang: suppose jailbreaking because the hot and cool thing to do, and millions of users did it. Would Apple decide to take off the gloves and go after the folks that make it possible?

Bob

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
The rep/status thing is just fun but the new suggestions would let folks know who the "Real" iPad gurus/Godfathers are..lol

So are you suggesting a name change for me? :p

I am. Your name is too long and it ruins the forum experience. It pushes the left side column a tad too far over and ruins the svelte lines and cool look of the forum.

I suggest rather than "DontUnderstandMyIpad" you go with 'BigiPadDummy.'

(Ducking, smiley inserted)

Bob

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Demandarin said:
The rep/status thing is just fun but the new suggestions would let folks know who the "Real" iPad gurus/Godfathers are..lol

I am. Your name is too long and it ruins the forum experience. It pushes the left side column a tad too far over and ruins the svelte lines and cool look of the forum.

Bob

Are you serious right now? You better duck, Bob!

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Did you guys post your ideas in Colin's thread about suggestions? If not, boys, chop chop!:D

Only a truly legitimate 'Master of the iPad' would know that, Dear SweetPoison. I say we start deducting points.

If being helpful is how you earn points, I want you to also take away points for being disruptfull or inventing new words like disruptfull. My world is all about rage and anger and I want recognition. I want to have the highest negative score on the forum. Or would a negative score imply lowness?

I am babbling, I need pie.

Bob

Bob Maxey

iPF Novice
Reaction score

Bob

Are you serious right now? You better duck, Bob!

I did add "Ducking, Smiley Inserted" so yes, I am just being me, Bob, The Jovial Ass.

Ducking, Double Smiley Plus 2

Bob

Reaction score
Bob Maxey said:

Bob

Oh, but you know, that would have a detrimental effect on my forum appearance. Right now I have the most space for charging up batteries :D

Most reactions

Latest posts