What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbreak and Warranty

Mountaingamer

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you ever needed to take back your jailbroken iPad to apple for whatever reason, you would just want to restore it first - absolutely no evidence of it ever being jailbroken:)

Biggysmallz

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you ever needed to take back your jailbroken iPad to apple for whatever reason, you would just want to restore it first - absolutely no evidence of it ever being jailbroken:)

Suppose your jail broken iPad is totally bricked, can't be turned on to be restored, what then becomes of your warranty?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Biggysmallz said:
Suppose your jail broken iPad is totally bricked, can't be turned on to be restored, what then becomes of your warranty?

Well if it really couldn't be turned on then nobody could tell it was jailbroken, so warranty still OK

Reaction score
Biggysmallz said:

If your iPad becomes totally bricked, Apple wouldn't be able to see that it is jail broken, as it doesn't turn on anymore.

You would go to an Apple Store, tell them that your iPad doesn't turn on anymore, which they can easily verify and then they will offer you a replacement

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
DontUnderstandMyIpad said:
If your iPad becomes totally bricked, Apple wouldn't be able to see that it is jail broken, as it doesn't turn on anymore.

You would go to an Apple Store, tell them that your iPad doesn't turn on anymore, which they can easily verify and then they will offer you a replacement

iPad is impossible to brick. Apple has the hold the sleep and home button reset override everything. I have been in the middle of pwned dfu mode in the middle of a restore and the reset will kick it out.

Demandarin

iPF Noob
Reaction score
grayshark95 said:
iPad is impossible to brick. Apple has the hold the sleep and home button reset override everything. I have been in the middle of pwned dfu mode in the middle of a restore and the reset will kick it out.

That trick does work. Even if not the first time, keep doing it and the iPad WILL come around eventually.

Sent from my Jailbroken IPad on 4.2.1 ;-)

iPadCharlie

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my personal experience with jailbreaking an Apple mobile device and their warranty...

The first device I ever tried to JB was a 1st generation iPod Touch and it was nowhere near as seamless as it is now. Of course it didn't go well and I was almost ready to toss it in the dust bin because I couldn't get it un-stuck. Of course I knew I couldn't call Apple because I had just voided my warranty. But it was a toll-free number and the worst thing they could do was tell me that they couldn't (or wouldn't) help me.

So I call and this woman comes on the line and asks about the nature of my call. I explain what I did and she said, "No problem, I can help you." As you can already imagine, all I had to do was do a hard reset and restore my iPod. Of course she didn't stay on the phone the whole time, but long enough to make sure it was working.

So I asked her, "If my warranty had just been voided, why did she help me?" She said that if she had not helped me, there was a good chance I would have just thrown my iPod away and Apple would have most likely lost a customer, but by helping me restore my iPod, I would remember this experience and remain a (hopefully) loyal Apple customer who would continue to purchase content for my iPod and (hopefully) buy more Apple products in the future.

And that is pretty much why I have an iPad now.

j0yful

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Here is my personal experience with jailbreaking an Apple mobile device and their warranty...

The first device I ever tried to JB was a 1st generation iPod Touch and it was nowhere near as seamless as it is now. Of course it didn't go well and I was almost ready to toss it in the dust bin because I couldn't get it un-stuck. Of course I knew I couldn't call Apple because I had just voided my warranty. But it was a toll-free number and the worst thing they could do was tell me that they couldn't (or wouldn't) help me.

So I call and this woman comes on the line and asks about the nature of my call. I explain what I did and she said, "No problem, I can help you." As you can already imagine, all I had to do was do a hard reset and restore my iPod. Of course she didn't stay on the phone the whole time, but long enough to make sure it was working.

So I asked her, "If my warranty had just been voided, why did she help me?" She said that if she had not helped me, there was a good chance I would have just thrown my iPod away and Apple would have most likely lost a customer, but by helping me restore my iPod, I would remember this experience and remain a (hopefully) loyal Apple customer who would continue to purchase content for my iPod and (hopefully) buy more Apple products in the future.

;) good one!

marie, what are you waiting for?! jb now!

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Great info from the best! Thanks, boys.:)

Even though I have half the posts of demandarin. I wish there was a status above "iPad master". I think demandarin, me, and many others are past being a master.

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
SweetPoison said:
Great info from the best! Thanks, boys.:)

Even though I have half the posts of demandarin. I wish there was a status above "iPad master". I think demandarin, me, and many others are past being a master.

You are one of our youngest awesome contributors ~ you know that. But I think those little batteries are based on number of posts. Don't trip about them so much, really.:)

;) good one!

I'm just scared ~ I have some friends at work that JB their iphones, and have offered to help me ~ but I just trust this place more.

Well since she is on 4.3.1, she should probably wait until an untethered version is released.

This is true!

Thank you all again. You people are terrific. Now I am going to jailbreak lol

Skeets:D

Wait............come...........back..........and get me!

Most reactions