What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its official, some new iPads have problems

j.maloo82

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've gone through 8 iPad 3s this past week from two different stores. Every unit I returned because every one of them had very noticeable light bleed at least as bad as pictured here:
photo1zd.jpg

What was strange is that NONE Of the display units at either store had this problem.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
j.maloo82 said:
I've gone through 8 iPad 3s this past week from two different stores. Every unit I returned because every one of them had very noticeable light bleed at least as bad as pictured here:

What was strange is that NONE Of the display units at either store had this problem.

I'm beginning to think you have proxy by munchausen. Nobody is that unlucky. LOL

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Not trying to appear to be negative, but light bleed is a condition when viewed from above. If you look at any tablet from that angle, there is more a likelyhood of seeing some light. Light bleed is an issue only when the light interferes with the ability to see the images on the screen. You need to be happy with your purchase, and Apple is accomodating your concerns. Just do not let yourself get caught up in paranoia about issues that do not mean anything in real life.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
A report out today was on a side by side comparison of the new iPad and the Asus and Galaxie tablets. It found that the new iPad was about the same as the other tablets as far as heating up.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog, while I agree that if you can't see it, don't worry, the ONLY WAY I SEE any light bleeding in is in a completely dark room and only if I have a black test pattern up. And then it is ONLY slightly. On real world viewing under just about every condition I can think of so far, I can't see it. AND BELIEVE ME I HAVE A GREAT EYE AND I AM AS ANAL AS ANYONE! But realistic.

So my iPad is a keeper at this point. At least on light bleed. Those who have shown a clear defect in the laminating process that you can actually take a photo from the side, I agree is not acceptable.

I am looking forward to investigation the Spyder Analyzer and some other ways to two tweak the iPad and iPhone to Industry Standards. Why not? We made the HD Industry cry Uncle, why not Apple. I am surprised that Jobs was not an out front spokesman for industry calibrated displays, but apparently not. Welcome to my new home and new passion. =)

Last edited:
OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I am not sure if we are talking about exactly the same issue. My point is that you might see light at an extreme angle if you look hard enough. Apple will exchange it, if you complain. The question is whether or not it is worth complaining about. If when looking at the screen as normal, there is very little bleeding through, I do not think it is anything to get stressed about. I recognize that there are those people who cannot forget any slight or perceived issue, but minor light bleeding should not be treated as a major manufacturing flaw. There are tolerances in the assembly of any device and Apple has some of the tightest tolerances around. I have to wonder if there was a comparison among the different tablets, what would the result of a light bleeding test. Trouble is that it would have to be over thousands of samples to be moderately accurate.

As to industry standards, my thought is that Apple exceeds the standards. When they get involved with standards, they tend to try and write the standards. Look at the arguments going on about the Nano SIM card standards.

Last edited:

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog I'm referring to the photos. If I can see the issue in a photo, extreme or not, it must be worse in person and therefore a problem.

What I have seen on my display as light bleed, I would have a hard time, if even possible, to demonstrate in a photo.

Last edited:

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
As far as standards go Seadog, there are "Production" or "Consumer" grade standards and then there are "Accurate" or "Professional" grade standards, they are not necessarily the thing.

vish26

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok, Last couple of days I have been going through a lot of posts here on the New iPad Units having Defects like Backlight Bleeding and a Yellow Hue in the New iPad’s and how generous and kind Apple is, as far as Exchange or Refund Policy is concerned. And I would also like to mention here this looks like a place with largely American Audience and to an extent some users from the U.K and so it is very often only being talked about Apple’s Policy prevailing in these countries, But Apple is not that Generous in other parts of the world.

So I thought let me just give you guys a overview of How Apple works and Conducts Business in other parts of the world. Like For e.g My Country India, Though Apple products are widely and very easily sold and available here and officially with Bill and warranty from Apple. Apple does not have a direct presence here what it means is, under the Laws defined by the Government of India, No Foreign Company can sell its products directly here in India It has to be a under a Business Venture where a Local Indian Company is Made a Business Partner. so what it means there are no Apple Direct Stores here, Apple does not sell its products directly to the end users it is all through Dealers and Local Resellers. Now these Resellers are extremely cautious and absolutely non committal to when it comes to issues like Technical Problems especially if they are of the Nature of Backlight Bleeding and Yellow Hue and Stuff (Unlike in U.S where I have seen here people suggesting each other that oh, not happy get it replaced, get a refund…Blah…Blah…It sort of looks to me that Exchanging a Product in U.S happens almost at the drop of Hat) You don’t want to keep Apple product in the 14 Days Trial Period return your Unit and you get 100% Refund it is that Easy.

So for People who talk so high in favour of Apple Policy just an FYI…There is no concept of Refund here in India under no…No circumstances is there a question of any refund. No Body on Earth can make a Customer get a refund if he is not Happy with Apple Products. And last couple of days I have been trying to get a answer from Apple India here on what would be their policy on Backlight Bleeding and Yellow Hue and I was shocked to know the Dealers, Resellers and Most of the people in the Technical Support don’t even know what these terms stand for. I would get answers like Backlight Bleeding ?? What on Earth is that ?? Yellow Hue oh well, Apple has made Whites to look Yellow in Apple Devices…So It is not a defect according to us.

Now How do you expect a Guy like me who is looking out for a good quality product which is free from defects to go ahead and buy a Apple Device here, when nobody is ready to take a responsibility here, unless user like me is very categorily told that the above two conditions falls under a Exchange Policy how do I build that confidence in Going Ahead and buying the New iPad. The biggest fear to me is what if I spend all that money and face this problem and Apple says well, It is not a Defect according to us. Please live with it. I am doomed :eek: Today I got in touch one of the Floor Managers in a Apple Tech Support call Center here in India and all he told me was I cannot tell you a specific answer for these two issues, all I can tell you is if it is a Hardware Issue it falls under the replacement policy now, how conclusive is this answer is this enough ?? does it take in to consideration the above points…I don’t know and neither is there anybody who is ready to answer on these issues here in Apple India so…I asked them to send me a mail saying for these two issues and is the product covered under replacement policy ! nope, they won’t do that. How valid is just a verbal assurance…They can easily deny that tomorrow…So I do get the point when people like augustya get concerned about protecting their money and getting a 100% value for their money. Even I would not like to go through the Hassles of Replacement taking it to the service centre guys, I would rather be extremely cautious before buying that product. World is not the same everywhere else guys…

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
vish26 said:
Now How do you expect a Guy like me who is looking out for a good quality product which is free from defects to go ahead and buy a Apple Device here, when nobody is ready to take a responsibility here, unless user like me is very categorily told that the above two conditions falls under a Exchange Policy how do I build that confidence in Going Ahead and buying the New iPad. The biggest fear to me is what if I spend all that money and face this problem and Apple says well, It is not a Defect according to us. Please live with it. I am doomed :eek: Today I got in touch one of the Floor Managers in a Apple Tech Support call Center here in India and all he told me was I cannot tell you a specific answer for these two issues, all I can tell you is if it is a Hardware Issue it falls under the replacement policy now, how conclusive is this answer is this enough ?? does it take in to consideration the above points…I don’t know and neither is there anybody who is ready to answer on these issues here in Apple India so…I asked them to send me a mail saying for these two issues and is the product covered under replacement policy ! nope, they won’t do that. How valid is just a verbal assurance…They can easily deny that tomorrow…So I do get the point when people like augustya get concerned about protecting their money and getting a 100% value for their money. Even I would not like to go through the Hassles of Replacement taking it to the service centre guys, I would rather be extremely cautious before buying that product. World is not the same everywhere else guys…

I've shopped in countries where stores have similar policies and the only thing you can really do is to do your homework. Have the store take out two devices so you can compare or bring a friend with a known good device. Don't let them bully you, make sure you know what you are buying.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
@vish26 Oh Thanks Indeed ! sombody pitched in and took up my point of view on this :D !

@zphone But again the problem is, If someone has to buy only one iPad he would not open 2 sealed Boxes of New iPad for someone. He would only let open the one that the person wants to buy. And the iPad in Display and the one which is a sealed un-opened Box who knows how the iPad is inside the sealed Box. The one on display and the one inside the Box need not be same right ?

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
@vish26 Oh Thanks Indeed ! sombody pitched in and took up my point of view on this :D !

@zphone But again the problem is, If someone has to buy only one iPad he would not open 2 sealed Boxes of New iPad for someone. He would only let open the one that the person wants to buy. And the iPad in Display and the one which is a sealed un-opened Box who knows how the iPad is inside the sealed Box. The one on display and the one inside the Box need not be same right ?

I would never buy an item in a box without examining it and testing it thoroughly in some countries

Most reactions

Latest posts