What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its official, some new iPads have problems

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want perfection, then you can never buy electronics, cars, or dinner. You can never date. Whenever a new high tech product comes out, there are always two types of problems. They are real problems and perceived problems. And the high profile nature of Apple mobile products, will put these issues under a spotlight. The overheating and bleeding are examples of perceived problems. Apples probably have several times more iPads returned because of perceived light bleeding and overheating than actually exceed reasonable quality issues. The dead pixels is an actual problem, but it is one where maybe one in 10,000 gets by the inspectors. It is an issue of human error in assembly, and is solved by a trip to the Apple store.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's easy to avoid backlight bleeding, yellow tinting and dead pixels: Buy an abacus.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you want perfection, then you can never buy electronics, cars, or dinner. You can never date. Whenever a new high tech product comes out, there are always two types of problems. They are real problems and perceived problems. And the high profile nature of Apple mobile products, will put these issues under a spotlight. The overheating and bleeding are examples of perceived problems. Apples probably have several times more iPads returned because of perceived light bleeding and overheating than actually exceed reasonable quality issues. The dead pixels is an actual problem, but it is one where maybe one in 10,000 gets by the inspectors. It is an issue of human error in assembly, and is solved by a trip to the Apple store.

Agreed.

Judging by augustya's angst on maybe two dozen threads over even the possibility of purchasing an iPad, the handwringing is out of proportion with the purchase of any device that doesn't involve keeping a person alive, such as a pacemaker, lol.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
See…There you go ! I still have to compromise for a negligible amount of defect…My opposition is this, to this entire philosophy on compromising things !! When I am not paying anything less to Apple why should I settle down for something less from Apple ? Minor / Major whatever !! I expect 100% Flawless, defect free product I don’t care if it is a minor bleeding and so I should let it go ! How can Apple expect such a thing from a customer ?

I know we can go on this topic on and on…Unless I decide if I want to buy it with the given conditions or If I don’t wanna buy it. Apple is not gonna care a heck if just one customer like me is not satisfied but I thought I will just share a thought.

Cheers !

I have a saying "those that do not give grace should never expect it from others". I hope people don't expect 100 percent perfection from you.

As far as I can tell there are no manufacturing defects. Everything works as or better than my second gen. If something does come up I think Apple will take care of it. That is all I ask of them and that is all I can do for my clients. My track record is nearly flawless but not completely flawless.

augustya

iPF Novice
Reaction score
You wrote this "I still have to compromise for a negligible amount of defect.". Perhaps English is not your first language. Negligible means it is so small or slight as to be zero. Please don't let perfect be the enemy of the good. For your information, nothing in this world is perfect.....people are speaking in very precise terms here and you are reading way too much into their words. Apple as the best customer satisfaction in the business and your words above seem to ignore this fact.

There is no queston of any language perfection here,I was quoting Marlyn here when I said "Negligible Amount of" Do u wanna tell me how else one say that in English ? Please don't be a judge here which I never asked u to be !!

Last edited:
OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The choice of ways to spend your money is yours and yours alone. If you do not feel the iPad is suitable for you, no one has issue with that. What is at issue is that there are minor problems that will irritate some of the buyers of iPads until things get sorted out. We recognize that any new iPad introduction is going to be scrutinized by fans and media alike. To come on here and act like these problems are common place is going to get a strong reaction. No matter how much we discuss the problems, we know that there is only a very small amount of people affected. Therefore, people will tend to defend their loyalty to a product they know to be excellent.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
augustya said:
Agreed but in the process u don't hurt people :rolleyes:

I guess it is how you read it. I haven't seen any fanboy reactions. I think people have been matter-of-factly trying to explain that you have taken a bit of an extremist view over a small number of complaints.

If it were a serious problem it would be HUGE news and Apple's stock would be dropping.

Every manufactured piece of technology in your home from alarm clocks to computers has been returned by a percentage of people for being defective.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
There is no queston of any language perfection here,I was quoting Marlyn here when I said "Negligible Amount of" Do u wanna tell me how else one say that in English ? Please don't be a judge here which I never asked u to be !!

Not sure what you're asking, but I wasn't intending to be insulting. Sorry if I was.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score

You have been on here since at least august - with an awful lot of angst about buying a new iPad. I am not sure if you have answered already, but have you bought an iPad yet?

I am curious if you go through this much angst when buying other products? Cars? TVs? Radios? Groceries? Just saying dude - it isn't healthy to be so paralyzingly critical. I do my due diligence, probably more than most people - and this is my first iPad - so I will tell you, buy it - there is a 97% chance that you will be happy with it. 3% chance that you will return it for one reason or another. Where else can you get those kind of odds?

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
zphone said:
You have been on here since at least august - with an awful lot of angst about buying a new iPad. I am not sure if you have answered already, but have you bought an iPad yet?

I am curious if you go through this much angst when buying other products? Cars? TVs? Radios? Groceries? Just saying dude - it isn't healthy to be so paralyzingly critical. I do my due diligence, probably more than most people - and this is my first iPad - so I will tell you, buy it - there is a 97% chance that you will be happy with it. 3% chance that you will return it for one reason or another. Where else can you get those kind of odds?

Actually August has been here since October and if he/she were waiting on the three there has only been a week of consumer reviews. If this is the first iPad purchase I'd recommend anyone to take their time.

To me the problem is that he/she seems to be looking for a reason not to buy it. Usually someone's perspective and interpretations are driven by their desired end result.

L

Lunar

Agreed.

Judging by augustya's angst on maybe two dozen threads over even the possibility of purchasing an iPad, the handwringing is out of proportion with the purchase of any device that doesn't involve keeping a person alive, such as a pacemaker, lol.

And even those sometimes are not perfect either...lol My neighbour had one fitted recently, but had to have it replaced after just 2 weeks as it was causing tachycardia (too fast a heart beat, even at rest) thankfully the lady is fine now.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
And even those sometimes are not perfect either...lol My neighbour had one fitted recently, but had to have it replaced after just 2 weeks as it was causing tachycardia (too fast a heart beat, even at rest) thankfully the lady is fine now.

Yes, my MIL had one replaced, too.

PaulCarleton

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK, I've been one of what I believe is the silent majority. I had an iPad2. I dumped it for an iPad 3 at a premium. That being said, I love it. Love the display, and YES I CAN SEE THE DIFFERENCE AND I WILL CHALLENGE ANYONE TO A SHOOTOUT TO PROVE ME WRONG. I now use this all the time where I used my iPhone 4 before because of the display.

I was one of the pioneers of HD TV consumer advocates back in 1998, omg why does that seem NOT so long ago! I tore Mitsubishi a new one for their false claims, non-NTSE displays and so forth. You want to talk about deceptive advertising they where the Kings. If there was a defect good luck getting them to admit it let alone get them to take it back without a fight.

Apple is a saint willing to fall on their sword to satisfy. If it's broke, or better yet, if you think it is broke, they will take it back. 100% satisfaction. They don't say 100% perfect product!

Last edited:
OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I really like my new iPad, but my original iPad will always be #1 in my feelings. Not because of any real or perceived faults with the new model, but because this one is probably one of a series of future iPads. My original iPad was a purchase I made on faith and my instincts that it would be fantastic. As such, it holds a precious place in my computer history. When I bought my first one, there were no real accessories, no real apps, and no knowledge of what it was for. As today, the complaints of what might be an issue, and what was normal, were all over the media. As things moved on, Apple found the solutions, while a star was born. Not one of the issues that is being discussed and analized by the media, are real problems. A batch that are out of screen adjustment? Replaced. Light bleeding? Overblown. Replaced willing if owners complained.

We are talking toys and tools here. iPads are not vital to our lives, but they are important to our home and work activities. We are becoming part of an interesting future as tablets become more and more of our lives. During this adventure, more and more uses for the iPads will be discovered. We need to concentrate on these aspects of the iPad, and not be distracted by a bunch of media reports by people that still haven't figured how to dial out on their iPhones.

Most reactions