What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Its official, some new iPads have problems

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Seadog said:
I really like my new iPad, but my original iPad will always be #1 in my feelings. Not because of any real or perceived faults with the new model, but because this one is probably one of a series of future iPads. My original iPad was a purchase I made on faith and my instincts that it would be fantastic. As such, it holds a precious place in my computer history. When I bought my first one, there were no real accessories, no real apps, and no knowledge of what it was for. As today, the complaints of what might be an issue, and what was normal, were all over the media. As things moved on, Apple found the solutions, while a star was born. Not one of the issues that is being discussed and analized by the media, are real problems. A batch that are out of screen adjustment? Replaced. Light bleeding? Overblown. Replaced willing if owners complained.

We are talking toys and tools here. iPads are not vital to our lives, but they are important to our home and work activities. We are becoming part of an interesting future as tablets become more and more of our lives. During this adventure, more and more uses for the iPads will be discovered. We need to concentrate on these aspects of the iPad, and not be distracted by a bunch of media reports by people that still haven't figured how to dial out on their iPhones.

I feel the same way about my first gen. At first it was more toy than tool and then the tornado. We were travelling at the time and it helped us find an alternate route home. It helped me find a store three towns over that had tarps for the roof. It helped me and my neighbors find supplies, generators, tools, etc. It helped me check the BBB on contractors who just started showing up. We kept up with news, weather, electricity updates, and police reports. It helped me deal with any critical client issues. And yes after the generator was up and running it helped as an entertainment source at night. I am forever grateful to a purchase I made on a whim anud thankful I got the 3g that I really didn't think I needed.

Today it goes to a family member but only because we don't need three iPads and because it can do her a lot of good.

I am probably a sentimental old fart but Apple was a friend when we needed as many as we could get.

Kaykaykay

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I had no hesitation buying iPad 1 at launch. I actually bought two, one of which I later gave away. I'm not usually an early adopter, but I knew from iPhone that iPad would work well, and all my expectations have been met. I figure there will be hiccups as improvements are made with each new model, and there will be duds here and there, but even then that's a blip in time taken care of by an exchange or return. It's just a matter of keeping perspective, even as probs crop up. I like all my iDevices a lot, but none are perfect, and that's just life.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I feel the same way about my first gen. At first it was more toy than tool and then the tornado. We were travelling at the time and it helped us find an alternate route home. It helped me find a store three towns over that had tarps for the roof. It helped me and my neighbors find supplies, generators, tools, etc. It helped me check the BBB on contractors who just started showing up. We kept up with news, weather, electricity updates, and police reports. It helped me deal with any critical client issues. And yes after the generator was up and running it helped as an entertainment source at night. I am forever grateful to a purchase I made on a whim anud thankful I got the 3g that I really didn't think I needed.

Today it goes to a family member but only because we don't need three iPads and because it can do her a lot of good.

I am probably a sentimental old fart but Apple was a friend when we needed as many as we could get.

That's a very interesting story. Where did this tornado occur? Man...I live in fear of tornados.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
We have four iPads in the house, crazy I know... My wife is the exception yet she has an iPhone 4, but for the rest of us the iPad was/is a game changer and by far the number one go-to device for both personal and professional activities. I never leave home without it.

It's just too bad they are kinda pricey because everyone should have one.

KJSmitty

iPF Noob
Reaction score
KJSmitty said:
We have four iPads in the house, crazy I know... My wife is the exception yet she has an iPhone 4, but for the rest of us the iPad was/is a game changer and by far the number one go-to device for both personal and professional activities. I never leave home without it.

It's just too bad they are kinda pricey because everyone should have one.

PS, living in TX the weather/radar apps are front and center..

TXCheng

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I started with the IPad original and skipped the IPad 2. Love the Retina Display and the faster processor. I must say it had been a while since I have actually started with a new IPad and it was nice to go through all my apps and really see which ones I don't use anymore or never used. Who knows how much space I am saving. :)

I found with 3rd party battery charges they don't charge as fast as the Apple OEM version.
Battery life seems normal, of course with the new acquisition I am using it a lot more at the beginning.
Haven't seen any dead pixels or bleed though.
Camera is pretty nice, but I wish has a built-in panoramic mode.

All in all I am very pleased with the IPad 3.

JackalIK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Does anyone know if Apple will replace an iPad if there are 2 dead pixels? My friend brought the iPad 3 and there are 2 dead pixels (1 worse than the other)?

fahadjuma

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have a 64G black iPad3 and have serious issues with the battery. It drain very quickly and take forever to charge. No issues yet with the heating problem, or pixel issues.
Hope this gets resolved with the a new iOS upgrade very soon. Signal on 4G is fairly weak, and on WiFi its similar to my iPad1 as I didn't buy the iPad2.

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I have a 64G black iPad3 and have serious issues with the battery. It drain very quickly and take forever to charge. No issues yet with the heating problem, or pixel issues.
Hope this gets resolved with the a new iOS upgrade very soon. Signal on 4G is fairly weak, and on WiFi its similar to my iPad1 as I didn't buy the iPad2.

Give us some examples of how quickly/slowly it charges and drains. Do you have the screen on full brightness? That will drain the battery quicker and also cause it to take longer to charge if the screen is on. It's surprising that you report it draining quickly yet don't have it getting warm. Those two typically go together.

OP
Seadog

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
The policy is that you can exchange or return any iPad for any reason within the time frame.

The battery is an issue of power management. I have posted some battery management techniques that might help on another post.

Weak 3G/4G signals have nothing to do with the iPad. That is a carrier issue, with location to be considered.

beesknees

iPF Noob
Reaction score
AQ_OC said:
That's a very interesting story. Where did this tornado occur? Man...I live in fear of tornados.

Georgia. One of our neighbors was trappend in their home for 2 days.

Get yourself some piece of mind and make sure you have a disaster recovery kit. Many kits can be purchased complete but go to www.ready.gov to see if they have everything you might need. It has a bunch of other useful information. We consider the iPad part of ours now. It is on the grab list.

kitkat3709

iPF Noob
Reaction score
beesknees said:
Georgia. One of our neighbors was trappend in their home for 2 days.

Get yourself some piece of mind and make sure you have a disaster recovery kit. Many kits can be purchased complete but go to www.ready.gov to see if they have everything you might need. It has a bunch of other useful information. We consider the iPad part of ours now. It is on the grab list.

I live in South Florida - needless to say we often have the real threat of hurricanes. My IPads will be very important tools just in case.

Sent from my IPad 3rd Generation 64 AT&T LTE Black :)

dalepa

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Its possible to burn over 2 Gbyte up in 5 minutes on a 55Mbit LTE link!

Verizon is touting "LTE is 10 times faster", so why not give 10 times more data or 20Gbyte/month?

I see a DataGate in the near future when LTE customers (like me) burn though 2GB in one week without even watching a movie!

4G:
Besides the usually difficulties with getting accounts activated, people are finding that they can go through data plans in no time. One guy managed to go through his 5Gb allotment in less than a day. AT&T is trying to work a deal where app makers will be charged for data used by their apps. For example ABC player may be able to add advertising to pay for the service. This will not be a quck fix.

doggyranger

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Also add issues synching photos to iPad 3 from iTunes. Did not have a problem with iPad 1 and iPhone 4s, as I was able to sync my full collection.

Ipad3 cannot complete full sync.

zphone

iPF Noob
Reaction score
doggyranger said:
Also add issues synching photos to iPad 3 from iTunes. Did not have a problem with iPad 1 and iPhone 4s, as I was able to sync my full collection.

Ipad3 cannot complete full sync.

I wouldn't think that's an iPad problem. It sounds more like an iTunes problem. What are the symptoms? What type of collection is it - does it include music, video ?
Do you have the latest version of iTunes installed? Have you tried rebooting both your computer and the iPad?

Most reactions

Latest posts