What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is your iPad jailbroken?

Is your iPad jailbroken?

• Yes

Votes: 62 23.9%
  • No

Votes: 166 64.1%
  • I plan to jailbreak when it is available for my firmware.

Votes: 28 10.8%
  • Other

Votes: 3 1.2%

• Total voters

Drew wal

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Not even considering jail breaking , it works much better the way it's intended . Too many opportunities for things to go wrong with jb , to which a close friend of mine found out the hard way when he was in a rush to jb and almost bricked his ipad ! I find that the main reason people jb is to get things that would normally cost for free , technically theft.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I find that the main reason people jb is to get things that would normally cost for free , technically theft.

I guess I just hang out with a better class of people, because everyone I know who has jailbroken (or wants to) simply wants their iThing to have the same functionality as Android users get (out of the box).

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Not even considering jail breaking , it works much better the way it's intended . Too many opportunities for things to go wrong with jb , to which a close friend of mine found out the hard way when he was in a rush to jb and almost bricked his ipad ! I find that the main reason people jb is to get things that would normally cost for free , technically theft.

Sent from my awesome iPhone 5S 64gb Gold using ipf

IS that true? REALLY! You're not kidding? WOW to think someone would JB just to save .99¢ - 3.$ ASTONISHES ME. Especially considering how much an ipad costs and to risk that for even $5-10.00? OUTRAGEOUS I SAY! :) :) :) :) :) :) EACH to their own!

Man plans. God laughs. :D
Love and Beloved.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I guess I just hang out with a better class of people, because everyone I know who has jailbroken (or wants to) simply wants their iThing to have the same functionality as Android users get (out of the box).

Would you mind telling me what that is? Honest, I have often wondered why people jb, what advantage they gain and what are the risks involved? What do you think / know an Android has over an ipad? And why didn't you just buy an Android then? I REALLY really want to know!

Love and Beloved.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
What do you think / know an Android has over an ipad? Man plans. God laughs. :D Love and Beloved.
One example: with an Android you can use widgets on screens. Sometimes you're able to choose the size of these widgets. You don't have to open the app, because it's content is already visible. E. g. for weather, calendar, emails, ... You can use app icons as well as widgets. That's not possible with a stock iPad.

squib

iPad Fan
Reaction score
One example: with an Android you can use widgets on screens. Sometimes you're able to choose the size of these widgets. You don't have to open the app, because it's content is already visible. E. g. for weather, calendar, emails, ... You can use app icons as well as widgets. That's not possible with a stock iPad.

Excuse my ignorance but what is a widget?

Love and Beloved.

J. A.

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Excuse my ignorance but what is a widget? Man plans. God laughs. :D Love and Beloved.
These: image-3850326157.jpg image-2105597168.jpg Just to add: the weather data are not right. They're not updated, as I don't use them usually. This is just to show you.
The pictures are from my smartphone.
My iPads aren't jailbroken.

Last edited:

Black_Creek

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Lots of people do not know what jailbreaking is for...
I spend about 100 bucks on cydia tweaks, both iphone and ipad. You can really put your ipad to a new level. For example, i can use a bluetooth mouse on my ipad, send every file, song or picture with bluetooth, safe every file to my ipad and so on. There are a lot of tweaks which are really great.

Jailbreaking has nothing, absolutly nothing to do with stealing or cracking apps...

BUT, there are some black sheeps out there and use it for this, but not everyone who jas a jb ipad or iphone is a black sheep :)

watalee

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I can not install new input method,activity,spring tomatoze and many good apps without jailbreak

Sent from my BlackBerry 9930 using Tapatalk

willerz2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Lots of people do not know what jailbreaking is for...
I spend about 100 bucks on cydia tweaks, both iphone and ipad. You can really put your ipad to a new level. For example, i can use a bluetooth mouse on my ipad, send every file, song or picture with bluetooth, safe every file to my ipad and so on. There are a lot of tweaks which are really great.

Jailbreaking has nothing, absolutly nothing to do with stealing or cracking apps...

BUT, there are some black sheeps out there and use it for this, but not everyone who jas a jb ipad or iphone is a black sheep :)

Agreed. The majority of iOS jailbreakers are constituted by those that fall under the teen category simply jailbreak to "seem cool" or to pirate apps and/or tweaks, which is pretty sad. The lack of legality issues just flies over their heads.

SoloPilot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Would you mind telling me what that is? Honest, I have often wondered why people jb, what advantage they gain and what are the risks involved? What do you think / know an Android has over an ipad? And why didn't you just buy an Android then? I REALLY really want to know!

To answer the last question first, I bought my mini a year ago because a navigation program I use when flying my plane is only available for the iPad. If they had an Android version, I would be using that.

To answer the other question, the simplest answer is that the Galaxy pad I use at work and my Galaxy phone are seen by computers as just a USB external drive. I can move files back and forth easily, whether they are video or text. With the iThings, you have to have Apple's program (or something similar) loaded onto a computer to talk to the device, which isn't possible with many of the computers that I use at work (no outside software allowed). I had to jailbreak the mini in order to run a program installed on the mini, just so that I can have even the most rudimentary interfacing ability between them.

My friends with iThings likewise have them jailbroken to run programs which aren't Apple approved. None of them has "stolen" software on them, and when I asked, none would know where to get any (and nor do I).

There are a number of apps on the "jailbreak" site which are intended to let an iThing do things that Androids can do.

And Androids do these things for half the price of the competing iThings.

In addition, accessories are industry standard. Interface cables are $2.99, while the "Lightning" cables are ten times the price.

Going back to that final question again, the developer of my nav program is working on an Android version, and I will be beta testing it. Once the functionality and reliability are proven, I will sell my mini for whatever I can get.

I will never buy another Apple device as long as I live, unless the company gives up institutional Fascism and stops demanding to have centralized control over what users are permitted to do with their own private property.

Most reactions