What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Jailbroken 3.2.1 to Jailbreak 4.2.1

launcelot

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi all,

currently have an iPad on 3.2.1 jailbroken. Can anyone guide me if I can upgrade to 4.2.1 and jailbreak it (untethered)?

Thanks!

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

Right now the untethered Jailbreak is......troublesome at best. Search around the forums here and you will find that out for yourself.

For now all I can suggest is that you upgrades in increments. Upgrade to all of the betas one by one, jailbreak, and save your SHSH Blobs in each beta. You will NEED the Beta 3 one in particular in order to use the current untethered jailbreak ( which as it stands right now....is a failure until they release the official one )

I wish you good luck.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

Right now the untethered Jailbreak is......troublesome at best. Search around the forums here and you will find that out for yourself.

For now all I can suggest is that you upgrades in increments. Upgrade to all of the betas one by one, jailbreak, and save your SHSH Blobs in each beta. You will NEED the Beta 3 one in particular in order to use the current untethered jailbreak ( which as it stands right now....is a failure until they release the official one )

I wish you good luck.

Not the best advice digikid. There is no advantage at all in upgrading incrementally using the beta firmwares. You are misunderstanding the process for saving blobs. All you will do is waste the time of the OP.

Firstly, there are no blobs for beta firmwares OTHER than beta 3 which was a special case (it was supposed to be the release candidate).
Assuming the OP started saving blobs through Cydia with 3.1.3 then they can retrieve all their blobs from Cydia using tinyublrella. It is irrelevant what firmware you are currently running, and you cannot generate blobs for your current firmware if Apple are no longer signing them. He either already has blobs or he does not.

If you did not save your blobs (you can tell by looking at the top line in Cydia. It will tell you what it is storing for you) then you are out of luck and can only get 4.2.1 at the moment.

The tethered jailbreak is also not as bad as some people are making out. I certainly wouldn't' describe it as troublesome for someone that is comfortable with jailbreaking devices.
Whilst I started with the position that I would not recommend it a couple of months ago (because of my prior experience with a tethered iPhone jailbreak), in practice I have only had to reboot my iPad twice and therefore the tethered nature of the jailbreak has been almost imperceptible to me and many others. I would now recommend it.

The tethered jailbreak itself is bug free. That is not to say that Cydia apps have full compatibility with 4.2.1 yet, however the vast majority do.

Hope that helps.

kyomagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so if i upgrade from my 3.2 to 4.1 and do the tethered break, all i have to do is not restart unless im connected to a pc? Is there a guide for the tethered break?

iph0ne27

iPF Noob
Reaction score
so if i upgrade from my 3.2 to 4.1 and do the tethered break, all i have to do is not restart unless im connected to a pc? Is there a guide for the tethered break?
Yes, u will have to repeat the jailbreak process everytime u poweroff ur iPad. My entire Youtube channel is dedicated to the iPad. Your cydia apps will no longer work and cydia will either be a white icon or missing if u power your ipad off with a tethered jailbreak. Personally, I don't know anyone that ever turns the ipad or iphone off

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score

Yes, but it's 4.2.1 on the iPad. Not 4.1.
See the dev-team blog or iclarified (or iph0ne27's you tube channel) for guides.
Basically you must update to stock 4.2.1 then run redsn0w through a couple of times...

kyomagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok so last question then, will i lose my apps and books when i ungrade and re-jailbreak?

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
ok so last question then, will i lose my apps and books when i ungrade and re-jailbreak?

If you upgrade and jailbreak you will lose nothing.

Even if you were to do a clean restore on 4.2.1 and set up as a new iPad, you can always re-sync your apps and books from iTunes. You would only lose application settings. That is the beauty of iTunes.

graywolf

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I have been running 4.2.1 jailbroken since it came out and I have had no problems. All of cydia's apps work but the ones that change things like makeitmine don't work. I would recommend it though.

solex

iPF Noob
Reaction score
IPad jailbrake 3.2.1 to 4.2.1

I am also new on Ipad. i bought the Ipad 2 weeks ago with firmware 3.2.1.
I did the jailbreak with Comex Jailbreakme.
When I save with Cydia firmware 3.2.1 is not saved, but version 4.2.1 is saved ( with 3.2.1 running on my Ipad????).
Please can someone send me the details how to upgrade to 4.2.1 jailbreak (step by step).

Digikid

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Welcome to the forums.

I wish you good luck.

Not the best advice digikid. There is no advantage at all in upgrading incrementally using the beta firmwares. You are misunderstanding the process for saving blobs. All you will do is waste the time of the OP.

Firstly, there are no blobs for beta firmwares OTHER than beta 3 which was a special case (it was supposed to be the release candidate).
Assuming the OP started saving blobs through Cydia with 3.1.3 then they can retrieve all their blobs from Cydia using tinyublrella. It is irrelevant what firmware you are currently running, and you cannot generate blobs for your current firmware if Apple are no longer signing them. He either already has blobs or he does not.

If you did not save your blobs (you can tell by looking at the top line in Cydia. It will tell you what it is storing for you) then you are out of luck and can only get 4.2.1 at the moment.

The tethered jailbreak is also not as bad as some people are making out. I certainly wouldn't' describe it as troublesome for someone that is comfortable with jailbreaking devices.
Whilst I started with the position that I would not recommend it a couple of months ago (because of my prior experience with a tethered iPhone jailbreak), in practice I have only had to reboot my iPad twice and therefore the tethered nature of the jailbreak has been almost imperceptible to me and many others. I would now recommend it.

The tethered jailbreak itself is bug free. That is not to say that Cydia apps have full compatibility with 4.2.1 yet, however the vast majority do.

Hope that helps.

Hey look.....a bullet type button! Pressy pressy!!!!! :D

• First off there is no such thing as a waste of time. You either do it RIGHT or you do not do it at all. Really is simple as that. Doing it in increments is the safest way to do it.
  • The tethered Jailbreak is not by ANY means bug free. Please do not spread around that it is when it is not.

• UNTETHERED remains the better option....WHEN they release the proper software because as it is now it is just a piece of garbage alpha build that is causing all sorts of trouble.

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hey look.....a bullet type button! Pressy pressy!!!!! :D

• First off there is no such thing as a waste of time. You either do it RIGHT or you do not do it at all. Really is simple as that. Doing it in increments is the safest way to do it.
  • The tethered Jailbreak is not by ANY means bug free. Please do not spread around that it is when it is not.

• UNTETHERED remains the better option....WHEN they release the proper software because as it is now it is just a piece of garbage alpha build that is causing all sorts of trouble.

Real mature response.

So go on, embarrass me and list the bugs with the tethered jailbreak which will be fixed by the untethered version. I've had it running for a couple of months, consider myself a power user, and the jailbreak is bug free for me.
You seem quite content to tell folks in the hacking forum to avoid tethered at all costs and wait for untethered. I'm surely allowed to offer an alternative opinion based on my experiences, aren't I?

Also, just for fun, educate me on why incrementally upgrading through all beta versions of the firmware is a better approach. I've been jail breaking the iPhone since the first generation 1.x and never heard that one, so look forward to your new insight. I hope the response is not the same as your initial post, as having a firmware version installed DOES NOT allow you to save the SHSH blobs for that version. Also, as you failed to acknowledge, there are no blobs for beta firmwares OTHER than beta3. These only exist because Apple intended it to be the release candidate.

Also, please forgive me for not using a bulleted list. I prefer to write in sentences and the bullet list interface on iPad Safari is not the best. I'm entitled to that also, am I not?

Last edited:

kyomagi

iPF Noob
Reaction score
well my issue is i got the apps from ********. So they were not downloaded by the app store.

Last edited by a moderator:

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
well my issue is i got the apps from *********. So they were not downloaded by the app store.

Well, you should have mentioned that... It is against the forum rules to discuss or assist with pirating applications, and the fact you are doing so means my response was incorrect. Afraid you won't get any further help on this subject.
But hey, since you want to keep those apps, shouldn't you be buying them? :D

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts