What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

First sync of jailbroken ipad

mlts0807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Before jailbreaking my ipad I of course made a backup. I am ready to sync the newly jailbroken ipad for the first time but of course it will create a backup as it sync's.

Won't this backup override my original backup? Should i rename the jailbroken ipad to a new name so i can keep the backups seperate?

Thanks for any assistance.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
No, changing the iPad to a new name won't help prevent the backup.

What you can do, however, if you are on a Windows machine, is go to where iTunes stores the backup and save the most recent in a different place. On a Windows machine, that can be found at this PC address: C:\Documents and Settings\[user name]\Application Data\Apple Computer\MobileSync\Backup

Just keep in mind, however, that the saved backup will eventually get really old as you add apps, contacts, etc. to your iPad. Also, backups to iTunes do not include jail break tweaks ... it's all pure Apple/App Store stuff. So, future backups should be just fine if you have to use them on a freshly restored stock iPad. And, you do want to make regular backups as it's just good practice.

Hope this helps.

Marilyn

cusechamps2003

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So I am on a newly jailbroken ipad 2 and I synced my ipad for the first time tonight and it went through and made a back up. Whats the worst that can happen? If I understand the last post all the back up is doing is backing up Apple/App Store data? Will I have an issue in the future if I ever want to restore my ipad back to its original state without previously backing anything up?

OP
M

mlts0807

iPF Noob
Reaction score
One more question... I haven't intalled opens ssh on my ipad or iphone so both should be safe correct? At least i don't see it in cydia installed section.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Correct. If you haven't downloaded/installed OpenSSH, you're iPad is not open for another to get into it. At least, not via the method that was in the news (where the guy got in 'cause someone hadn't changed their password from the default).

Realize this doesn't make the iPad/iPhone "safe" from everything. There are still people out there who can (will?) figure out how to get access. All you can do is take steps to make yourself more protected...

With that said, it's never a bad idea to change passwords from the default to your own, whether you install OpenSSH or not, but it's not imperative for you. However, remember that if you ever do install OpenSSH - change that password! Add that extra layer of security.

/Soapbox spiel.

Anyway, hope that answers your question (honestly, there is an answer in there! :D).

Marilyn

Most reactions

Latest posts