What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is there really that much benefit for waiting for 2g?

Yoshiki UK

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm thinking of buying an iPad in around a month rather than waiting for the 2nd generation because i figure I will get more enjoyment out of it now rather than if I wait for it. I'm not too fussed on the idea of any sort of camera because I will likely never use it for video conferencing or for taking photos. Also, multitasking has been confirmed for this gen with iPhone OS 4.0.

Minus the hardware changes such as camera and possibly an OLED screen, are there any software bugs in this gen and if so wouldn't these just be fixed with a firmware update? One of the main arguments that people use when arguing for waiting for the 2g is that that release will iron out any bugs. If there aren't any serious issues, then that is another reason for me to plump up for the 1g.

I have the 1g iPod touch and it never really bothered me when the 2g was released. In fact, i never gave it much thought and have always been happy with my touch. I'm thinking that this train of thought will carry over to the iPad, as long as it doesn't suffer from any 1g software bugs and glitches that can only be fixed by an entire model update. Some people say not to buy into 1st gen tech, but I did with my touch and have no regrets.

Thanks for your opinions.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Software bugs can be fixed with an OS update. I don't see the point in waiting for a second generation when it hasn't even been announced, features haven't been discussed, or anything like that. They can't even keep the 1st generation in stock, there is no reason for the second generation to come out for a long time yet.

NumbLock

iPF Novice
Reaction score
The only bug that I found was that with the wifi. There is an easy fix if you own the network, and can change a few settings.

Because we basically knew what iOS 4 was already, I decided I would rather have it now. No regrets whatsoever.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I still have a 1st gen Touch, and the only thing that bothered me was the speaker missing they added in newer versions. I found a cheap speaker that plugs into the port that has volume controls, so fixed that problem. (My 6yr old like to play games on it). And now no iOS 4 for it either....oh well.

I am guessing this version will be around for a year or so, then some sort of upgrade. Guessing higher resolution screen, face chat over WiFi perhaps, etc.

Seadog

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple is really good at making products with enough in them to keep most people happy. And then as the competition starts to get close to an answer, they bring out just enough improvements to keep the market going strong. If you buy now, you will get a great deal of pleasure from an iPad. But you will also drool over the next generation. Remember when the big improvements on computers was more memory, better processors, and little more. With mobile media today, there has to be much more to keep up.

Matth3w

iPF Noob
Reaction score
If you waited for the better device, you would never have any technology. Anything tech related is outdated weeks/months after it is released (usually). If I waited for a better phone to come out, for example, I would be waiting forever.

theipadstudent

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Website
www.theipadstudentexperiment.com
I found myself asking the same question, but decided on this middle ground: I bought the lowest end iPad (wifi only, 16gig model) and when generation 2 comes around then I'll get the high-end model with all the bells and whistles that come with it.

If you're on the edge of getting the iPad (but leaning towards one), and you can afford it, then I suggest going this route.

figmo10

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm not for a moment regretful of this iPad purchase. Right now, I can't think of any added features that would make me envious of a second-gen model. I bought the first-generation Kindle on initial release and never considered the second generation, and that had significant improvements.

Sonny Burnett

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Obviously the iPad 2G will be more advanced, weigh less and have a longer battery life. And when the 3G comes out it will be even better. The point is that you can always play the waiting game and never end up buying anything.

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my 1st generation to show up. The 7-10 day waiting period before they even ship takes forever....

lowlife

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I'm still waiting for my 1st generation to show up. The 7-10 day waiting period before they even ship takes forever....

7-10 days...... My friend you have no idea what waiting is...;)

I think there will be improvements that will impress some but for most they will not be huge. The best I can think of is a camera. Battery life is good enough, screen is good enough, weight could improve but by how much in reality, styling will not change much, cpu could improve but will not make much difference as the Ipad is currently quick.

The only improvements that would cause envy in me is an SD slot (not gonna happen), and the ability to use it on different networks (that would be big).

CaptKirk

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Im thinking we will see at least two operating upgrades before the next gen iPad release. We will see the first one very soon, I think i recall someone on the forum saying by fall this year.. :confused:

y2kgtp

iPF Noob
Reaction score

7-10 days...... My friend you have no idea what waiting is...;)

I think there will be improvements that will impress some but for most they will not be huge. The best I can think of is a camera. Battery life is good enough, screen is good enough, weight could improve but by how much in reality, styling will not change much, cpu could improve but will not make much difference as the Ipad is currently quick.

The only improvements that would cause envy in me is an SD slot (not gonna happen), and the ability to use it on different networks (that would be big).

SD card slot, possible....as they have a port adapter for a reader, don't they?

VZW is still testing a model for use on their network.

Blkjk13

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Weight will improve(not by much), added front facing camera, no rear camera(although I want it), battery good enough, screen is fine(people are just too picky), iPhone 4 style hardware(beautiful). Hoping for HDMI output. It just makes sense.

I've posted before that the iPad despite it's hardware style could be an impressive video camera especially partnered with an iPad version of iMovie. Holding it as a camera would be adaptable like anything else in life.

Last edited:

Most reactions

Latest posts