What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To buy, or not to buy...'tis a waiting game.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Well my technology life started with a really old Apple macintosh classic 2. If that means anything.

Just jesting Thomas - the original Mac operating system from 1984 has LONG disappeared - some discussion quoted below; modern Mac OS started in 2001-2 first described as Mac OS X, then OS X, and now macOS - all based on an underlying robust Unix system - likely the most reliable and safest major OS now available, but just my opinion (and likely that of others) - Dave :)

The current Mac operating system is macOS, originally named "Mac OS X" until 2012 and then "OS X" until 2016.[3]Developed between 1997 and 2001 after Apple's purchase of NeXT, Mac OS X brought an entirely new architecture based on NeXTSTEP, a Unix system, that eliminated many of the technical challenges that faced the classic Mac OS. The current macOS is preinstalled with every Mac and is updated annually. It is the basis of Apple's current system software for its other devices, iOS, watchOS, and tvOS. (Source)

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Dave is right, there is no comparison in reliability. If I were lucky, System 7-or-whatever would only crash my old Macs a couple times per day, and if very lucky I would lose no data. I don't even remember all the voodoo rituals I learned, just to keep the darned things running.

The current macOS typically only gets rebooted when installing updates, and never loses anything. It's almost boring. I do regular backups, but no maintenance at all, and no anti-virus stuff is necessary if you're careful what you click. My iPad is far more prone to OS problems. My iMac is rock solid.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Just jesting Thomas - the original Mac operating system from 1984 has LONG disappeared - some discussion quoted below; modern Mac OS started in 2001-2 first described as Mac OS X, then OS X, and now macOS - all based on an underlying robust Unix system - likely the most reliable and safest major OS now available, but just my opinion (and likely that of others) - Dave :)
My oldest Mac, an iMac from 2000, currently runs mac OS 9.2.2 and Mac OS X 10.4.11 Tiger.

Last edited:

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I still have a couple of Classic apps I need every month or three. SheepShaver FTW! It's hard to believe how much faster PageMaker runs on my i5 iMac than it did on my B/W G3. Not to mention my 6100 or LC II.

(SheepShaver is a free PowerPC emulator that runs OS9 on any modern Intel Mac. Rosetta is not required. It's not quite a no-brainer to set up, but watching your extensions pop up across the bottom of the window at startup will make you smile with nostalgia.)

Most reactions

Latest posts