What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

To buy, or not to buy...'tis a waiting game.

Marc999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I've never owned an Ipad and although my folks and siblings and their children have them, I've been on the Android fence (2013 Nexus 7 tablet) for awhile.

In my search for a larger sized tablet for Netlfix movie binging/easier website viewing, I'm seriously considering an Ipad Air 2 and don't mind learning a new O/S.
I've had much self-debate over quality control issues etc. from Android OEM offerings and feel that it's too great a risk to buy something that may or may not receive updates and/or software fixes at a mystery future date. I think some companies have far too many products that keeping up with the fixes becomes a daunting task.
If I'm spending over $500 Canadian, I want a higher chance of it being a quality product that will last and receive timely fixes/updates.

Since I'm late to the Ipad Air 2 scene, I'm wondering if jumping in now is foolish, rather than wait until something new/shiny gets released in April. I know nobody has the answer, all I can do is speculate and maybe hold off just awhile longer.
I should mention that I tend to hold onto electronics for quite a few years.

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Suppose it depends whether you think you need all the latest bells and whistles. My iPad 2 is still serviceable after several years, but of course, there is a whole heap that it can't do now.

I bought my wife an iPad Pro, so that she was starting with the latest.

As with all computer tech, your requirements need careful consideration, before deciding what will be the best fit for those requirements.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
There are rumours of some new iPad models being introduced next month at a special presentation. You may want to wait until then to see if anything new is offered before committing yourself.

OP
M

Marc999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Well, I've waited this long.
It can't hurt to wait a little longer to see what happens.
Thanks.

LannyC

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Keep your eye out for sales. A few months ago, I decided to buy an iPad Pro 9.7 4G to replace my iPad 3 wifi-only. My plan was to wait for the next new model announcement, as advised above, and buy the Pro 9.7 for $100 off as the superseded product (Apple's expected practice). Then I noticed that Best Buy had them on sale for $125 off. No need to wait, so I pulled the trigger.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
There are rumours of some new iPad models being introduced next month at a special presentation. You may want to wait until then to see if anything new is offered before committing yourself.

Since I'm late to the Ipad Air 2 scene, I'm wondering if jumping in now is foolish, rather than wait until something new/shiny gets released in April. I know nobody has the answer, all I can do is speculate and maybe hold off just awhile longer. I should mention that I tend to hold onto electronics for quite a few years.

@ Marc... - as mentioned by SciFan.., a new 'line' of iPad Pros may be released soon, so waiting a month or so may be worth your consideration. I've owned the iPad Air 2 since October 2014 (shortly after its release date) - purchased Wi-Fi only w/ 64 GB storage; there might not be an 'update' using that name, i.e. all of the iPad models may be under the 'iPad Pro' umbrella - don't know?

Now, as to your mention of 500 Canadian dollars, you might have to up that price - just visited the Apple website and the pic below is the current pricing for iPad Pros & the Air 2 (Canadian $ in parentheses) - at present, I would not buy a 32 GB iPad, hence the reason for only putting a value on the 128 GB models (why isn't a 64 GB available - who knows?) - and keep in mind that if you want a cellular model, then that involves a plan and much additional cost.

SO, wait a month or so, decide on Wi-Fi vs. cellular, and also read about storage sizes, i.e. buy more than you think is needed, especially if you plan to put a lot of music and video media on the device. Good luck - Dave :)

ADDENDUM: I'm planning to buy a 'new' iPad Pro (either the 9.7" display or possibly the newer 10.5" one if available) w/ 128 GB - will go Wi-Fi only.
Screen Shot 2017-03-13 at 6.12.30 PM.png

oberkc

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marc999,

For me, one factor that favors the ipad is the 4:3 aspect ratio screen. However, I watch no movies on it. Since you mentioned netflix, I wonder if a tablet with 16:9 aspect ratio would be better choice for you.

OP
M

Marc999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.
I'm going to watch what happens over the next while to see what gets released.

What about the ram factor. 2 gb vs 4 gb for the larger pro tablet.
I noticed the 9.7 pro has 2 gb, while the larger pro has 4 gb. Does it really matter, if I plan on say at least 4 years of usage.

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks for the tips guys.
I'm going to watch what happens over the next while to see what gets released.

What about the ram factor. 2 gb vs 4 gb for the larger pro tablet.
I noticed the 9.7 pro has 2 gb, while the larger pro has 4 gb. Does it really matter, if I plan on say at least 4 years of usage.
You can't have too much RAM and more available RAM would make the iPad more future proof. It's also possible that the smaller iPad Pro will get a RAM upgrade at the upcoming announcement.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
You can't have too much RAM and more available RAM would make the iPad more future proof. It's also possible that the smaller iPad Pro will get a RAM upgrade at the upcoming announcement.

Agree w/ SciFan.. - more RAM never hurts, but consider the form factor - I like the size of my iPad Air 2 and would prefer a Pro w/ similar dimensions - the larger iPad Pro approaches the size of my MBAir - so, make sure that you visit a store where you can 'handle' both sizes - Dave :)

OP
M

Marc999

iPF Noob
Reaction score
That's likely what I'd be interested in.

9.7" - 10.5" 4gb Pro model.
That seems more future proof and more along the lines of a size I'm interested in.

Thomas1977

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I may be biased but Apple iPads in my opinion are the far better product. Of course I never used android and don't have experience with them but what do I know I just jumped on the iPad bandwagon with a mini 2 January 6,2017. I am mainly from a pc background and Microsoft Windows is my better area.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I may be biased but Apple iPads in my opinion are the far better product. Of course I never used android and don't have experience with them but what do I know I just jumped on the iPad bandwagon with a mini 2 January 6,2017. I am mainly from a pc background and Microsoft Windows is my better area.

Well Thomas - when I was working, we had PCs @ work & home, so I was on Windows for 25 years - in retirement and after obtaining an iPod and my first iPad in 2011, I then switched to Mac computers, an iMac (which I'll upgrade this year if a new model is released) and two laptops (Pro & Air) - really enjoy macOS and thrilled about not having to fret over AV software subscriptions - was really getting tired of sending Symantec my money - not sure how 'chained' you are to MS products, but you may want to consider leaving the DARK SIDE - ;) Dave

Most reactions

Latest posts