What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is the iPad 3 Camera Active all the time,? or only when being used.

L

Lunar

I rarely use the iPad 3 camera's, I assume to save power thay are only active when being used.. would you agree?

There does'nt appear to be a setting to permanently disable them in settings, If ther'e only powered up when apps use them which I assume it is,
it's obviously no big deal... I just keep getting a feeling I'm being watched...:D Would have liked to see a setting permanently disabling them.... or am I becoming paranoid in my old age..lol

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
its only on when the apps are using the camera.

I with PC's people get really parranoid and some of the webcam makers include a physical window that you can shut over the camera lens to be sure no one could see anything even if the camera was turned on.

I'm surprised no case manufactures have not done something like this.

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
It is possible to disable the Camera in Settings > General > Restrictions. Don't forget the code if you do this.

But of course, this means you are trusting Apple not to lie to you about the camera being disabled. A true paranoid would never fall for that. ;)

thewitt

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I say let them watch me...the thought that anyone would makes me really laugh out loud.

"Look, Tim is eating Bak Kut Teh for lunch today. Quick, notify the Agency. We need to capture the live feed now..."

:)

OP
L

Lunar

It is possible to disable the Camera in Settings > General > Restrictions. Don't forget the code if you do this.

But of course, this means you are trusting Apple not to lie to you about the camera being disabled. A true paranoid would never fall for that. ;)

Just checked and of course your right, though obviously that's more to prevent it's use than disable it altogether, if it's not used. I probably just need to be less paranoid, my thinking Big Brother is watching me all the time is likely unfounded........................ or is it..;)

The wife and I are in our late sixties, and it would'nt be a pretty site if they filmed us have a romp on the floor or something..:D just cannot imagine us turning up on uTube somehow...lol. TBH...yes truthfully officer.. I was actually thinking more from the battery saving view... damn there I go again.. I got view on the brain..:D but if it's definately powered down when not used by photo type apps then there's no issue... assuming of course it is indeed powered off... any way of telling...lol now I am getting paranoid..:D

I suppose I could always put a bit of tape over it in the event I struck lucky with our young brunette neighbour..:D

Thx guys. ;-)

Last edited by a moderator:

King Hal

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Just because you're paranoid it doesn't mean they aren't watching you

AQ_OC

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Interesting post, Lunar.

So, what we need is an app that can be activated remotely. That way, when someone steals your ipad and is at home sitting on the couch playing with their booty, you can activate the app to spy on them (using the front and/or rear camera), and then send those imagines along with location info back home to the true owner. Then you get the cops involved. This was done on a PC and made it's way to the news.

But just to be real, if you have a smart phone you can be tracked by the po po. Big article in the news about this just yesterday. The carriers will give up all kind of info to the cops, often without even a warrant. Be careful about dating folks to work for law enforcement, as they will illegal use these means to find out stuff about you. BTDT. :)

grouchomarx

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I rarely use the iPad 3 camera's, I assume to save power thay are only active when being used.. would you agree?

There does'nt appear to be a setting to permanently disable them in settings, If ther'e only powered up when apps use them which I assume it is,
it's obviously no big deal... I just keep getting a feeling I'm being watched...:D Would have liked to see a setting permanently disabling them.... or am I becoming paranoid in my old age..lol

I never thought of it this way. But then I received an email a few days ago from my ISP claiming that there was an RIAA complaint against my web activity.

Can't be too careful...

Last edited:

Sincity

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Remember that song by Rockwell, "Somebody's Watching Me?"

KevinJS

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
Captfx said:
"Can the people on TV see me or am I just paranoid?"

I did hear a rumor/urban legend a few years ago that televisions are being equipped with cameras hidden in the screen area. Scared, yet?

Sent from my iPad using iPF

Hayles66

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Yikes! Thanks Kevin. I'm starting to worry now!

Sent from my one and only original iPad using iPF

Most reactions

Latest posts