What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Is it possible to use iPad entirely as a standalone device?

mobi1

iPF Novice
Reaction score
After the initial setup, why do you need to connect with computer again?

Assuming I can transfer files to ipad via Dropbox etc. I should never need to connect with a laptop again.

Only occassionally I have to take a backup via computer.

:confused:

Sweetie1981

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Your right. You only need to connect to a computer to back it up if you want to and get the software updates.

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It's really only the backup issue. If your iPad had to be re-initialised completely, then you could download your apps from the App Store for free, but not your movies or music. So, if you want to back those up, you need to connect occasionally.

Or you could risk everything like I do....I connected my iPad to my PC day 1 and never again since!

Tim
Scotland

gray_mouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
There is an app called wifi something that let's u sync via wifi. So theoretically u could schedule syncing.

snoitan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
I think most people would be surprised at how much of their computer time could be done on an iPad. Most people just email, surf and facebook with the occasional casual game.

The top of my iPad 3 wish list would be the ability to initialize without a computer and do backups via MobileMe or some similar cloud storage (box.net, etc).

Most reactions

Latest posts