What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

IPad Newbie here...initial setup questions

desidude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi,

Greetings. This is Andy, from Mumbai, INDIA. I was recently gifted an IPAD 3G 64GB!!! and am very excited. However, I am an IPAD/Apple newbie and want to make sure I setup correctly....

I am a bit confused about the initial setup....I was told I need to connect the IPAD to a computer that has ITUNES on it? Can someone help me with this?

- Can I do the initial setup on ANY computer with ITUNES or will I be bound to that computer for future use? The issue is that I do not have a working laptop right now, and am using a desktop that already has someone else's Itunes library on it....

- What else do I need to do to setup? Any tips, tricks, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and happy IPADDING!

desidude

SweetPoison

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Oh, and after that hook your iPad to your computer and I think you will be prompted on what to do next, if I remember.

Dont look for a user manual in your box ~ there isn't one, but you can down load it and look in settings too, for some information.

OP
D

desidude

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi friends,

Thanks for your replies. So, do I just need to create an ITunes account in order to setup my IPAD or do I need to actually download ITUNES and sync it etc.

Can I do it on my friends desktop that already has ITunes on it and an Itunes library installed? Will I be 'associated' to that desktop in anyway in the future?

thanks
desidude

Bluesjam

iPF Novice
Reaction score
If you have your computer just go ahead and download iTunes and get that setup. Everything works from iTunes. Your music, your contacts and etc., I'm not sure about your friends computer, others will have to chime in about that.

BrennB

iPF Noob
Reaction score
You do not need to sync his library. Since he has iTunes installed the easiest way to get you started is to log in to his computer as a guest, open iTunes and create your own user ID, plug in iPad and register. Unplug and begin using iPad, you can purchase straight from the iPad any apps you want. You are not obligated to continue using that computer...

Also, if I remember correctly, you can even get through the initialization on his pc without creating your I'd yet.... We initialized one of ours right there at the apple store so we could use it....then you set up i'd via app store in iPad.

Most reactions

Latest posts