What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Assistance please - pre-purchase research

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Hi,

Now early retired & with no need of a full computer, I have been making use of Android tablets - unwilling to pay the premium price of the original ipad or ipad 2 when they both needed a computer & itunes to get them to work.

In the UK, prices of the ipad2 are now comparable to, if not cheaper than, those of premium android tablets. The "new ipad" is the same when considered against the newest batch of premium android devices.

Here is what I think I know, but am posting to try to get definitive answers from knowledgeable folk :) Could someone be kind enough to confirm or rebut what follows. Thanks very much. :)

1. IOS 5 did away with the need to own a separate PC to own an i-thingummy. They are now available as standalone devices. I can buy & use one without needing a computer as well. Updates to the OS are done over the air.

2. I can open an account on the app store & get apps without itunes or a computer

3. I can transfer files to an ipad via email attachment or via Dropbox without a computer

What I don't know...
1. Can I play mp3 files on an ipad without itunes on a computer
2. Can I play mp4 videos on an ipad without itunes on a computer
3. Can I play flv videos on an ipad without itunes on a computer
4. Are there alternative browsers that "cheat" flash content into being visible
5. Can you get BBC iplayer or other on demand services on an ipad without itunes on a computer
6. Can I "factory reset" my ipad without itunes on a computer
7. Can I back up my ipad to iCloud without itunes on a computer

Generally, I guess I am asking if the ipad is now fully standalone & can be used without iTunes - which has to be on a computer AFAIK.

And seeing as I am being a nuisance & asking a lot ;) - am I best advised to buy from an Apple Store, & do Apple repair or replace if an ipad develops a fault within the warranty period.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - I look forward to some replies if you can advise at all :)

skimonkey

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi there--welcome! I see that you have quite a bit of questions listed. You are better off trying to ask some of these questions in separate threads and/or by searching first to see if you can find the answer to some of yours.

Welcome to the iPadForum! This Forum offers so much information related to the iPad and its use. The IPF has many discussion topics related to: Acessories, Help, Apple News, Hacking, Gaming, Business/Education, Special Needs and Health.

The iPadForum also includes a Regional Ipad Group for international users across the world. This is a wonderful area to "find" members from your own country.
http://www.ipadforums.net/regional-ipad-groups/

If you have not done so, please take a look at the iOS 5.0 and 5.1:
http://itunes.apple.com/us/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-5/id470308101?mt=11
http://itunes.apple.com/sg/book/ipad-user-guide-for-ios-5.1/id509611900?mt=11

Finally, please read the rules!
http://www.ipadforums.net/forum-rules-help-info/2119-forum-rules-everybody-please-read.html

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi,

1. IOS 5 did away with the need to own a separate PC to own an i-thingummy. They are now available as standalone devices. I can buy & use one without needing a computer as well. Updates to the OS are done over the air.

Yes. You can do over-the-air updates without a computer.

2. I can open an account on the app store & get apps without itunes or a computer

Absolutely!

3. I can transfer files to an ipad via email attachment or via Dropbox without a computer

Again, absolutely.

What I don't know...
1. Can I play mp3 files on an ipad without itunes on a computer

Yes, but...

2. Can I play mp4 videos on an ipad without itunes on a computer

Yes, but...

3. Can I play flv videos on an ipad without itunes on a computer

Yes.

4. Are there alternative browsers that "cheat" flash content into being visible

Yes-ish. The iPad will never play Flash. However, many folk have found workarounds. See this link/thread for more: http://www.ipadforums.net/ipad-faq/54703-flash-ipad.html

5. Can you get BBC iplayer or other on demand services on an ipad without itunes on a computer

Yes. Although the BBC player is only available to those in the UK...

6. Can I "factory reset" my ipad without itunes on a computer

Yes, but...

7. Can I back up my ipad to iCloud without itunes on a computer

Yes.

Generally, I guess I am asking if the ipad is now fully standalone & can be used without iTunes - which has to be on a computer AFAIK.

And seeing as I am being a nuisance & asking a lot ;) - am I best advised to buy from an Apple Store, & do Apple repair or replace if an ipad develops a fault within the warranty period.

Thanks for taking the time to read this - I look forward to some replies if you can advise at all :)

See my replies above. :)

Apple has come a long way and the iPad is useable without a computer - mostly. However, to play songs and videos, you'd have to put them into a different app than the stock one (should you wish to do more than streaming). Granted, that's not difficult, but if you have a lot of songs, using WiFi or 3G may be more difficult (it will take time to put things onto the iPad...). But, I know people who have initiated the iPad in the store the day they bought it - and then never went near iTunes again. And that was before iOS 5 and the over-the-air updates! So, I'd say yes - but not as convenient.

For you, I'd say your best bet would be to get the iPad from the Apple store and has them do the initial set-up. Then, I recommend buying the two-year extended plan (hopefully, it's available where you live). That way, you can contact Apple for assistance whenever you wish. it's a bit pricey, ($99.00, USD), but for those without a computer - or the desire to "fiddle" - this would be a good deal.

A factory reset on the iPad is normally a very easy process. If your "stuff" is backed up to the iCloud, then it should be no trouble. However, you could have issues (just because the iPad is a computer). But, if you buy the extended care and service plan - then you could let the Apple Geniuses help... :)

All in all, I'd say this was a good option for you - especially given the fact you've been using tablets and so know they are not as robust as a computer. In that aspect, the iPad is no different. If you are comfortable with a tablet, with it's limitations (its never going to be a full-blown computer with all that entails), then I'd say, for you, an iPad would work great.

So, that's my opinion. I'll be interested to see what others have to say. Oh, and please holler back if anything I've said needs more clarification.

Good luck in your knowledge search and in your decision.

Marilyn

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Marilyn - thanks very much for your informative reply :) It is very, very helpful. :)

When you say "yes, but" & suggest I would need a different app, then that's fine. Do you have any recommendations for one?
I suppose I should say I am no computerphobe - I go back a long way with various OSs & worked in a senior role in a major company in the UK responsible for electronic publishing of major websites & media content - but that's why I now just want a slick device that is low impact & works for my now completely domestic requirements :)

My use of mp3s, mp4s & our digital photos is very minor - but without access to itunes I want to ensure that I can still view our jpgs & vids & listen to the handful of mp3s we have :)

I'll research AppleCare - thanks for the tip :)

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Marilyn - thanks very much for your informative reply :) It is very, very helpful. :)

When you say "yes, but" & suggest I would need a different app, then that's fine. Do you have any recommendations for one?

Well, back when I had music on the iPad, I used an app called "Groove Shark 2" ($3.99, USD). I liked it a lot and you could do sorts of arranging and stuff right on the iPad. If I remember correctly, you could donwnload music right to it. it's been a while since I've used it - so I don't remember much more about it. That might be one app to look at, though I am sure there are tons more...

I suppose I should say I am no computerphobe - I go back a long way with various OSs & worked in a senior role in a major company in the UK responsible for electronic publishing of major websites & media content - but that's why I now just want a slick device that is low impact & works for my now completely domestic requirements :)

My use of mp3s, mp4s & our digital photos is very minor - but without access to itunes I want to ensure that I can still view our jpgs & vids & listen to the handful of mp3s we have :)

I'll research AppleCare - thanks for the tip :)

Oh, I completely understand! Sometimes you just want something simple so you can just use it. That's the main reason why I got my iPad. It was for couch-surfing in the evening. it's turned out to be so much more ... so be warned. :)

Good luck in your decision-making.

Marilyn

D

dvdcatalyst

Heya Janner43,

Most of your questions got answered by Marilyn already, but I figured I'd mention that if the MP4 videos you have play on your TF, they will play on the iPad as well. The iPad 1 and 2 have one limitation in that they can not exceed 720p. The iPad3 can handle 1080p videos of course.

I would suggest, if possible, to stick iTunes on something. While not required, it does make things a bit easier.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you both :)

One subsidiary question I have concerns File Managers.

On Android, (& windows, Linux, mac OS) I am used to handling things through a File Manager (eg Windows Explorer). I think I am reading that this isn't possible on an ipad. That can't be correct, can it? How would you manage files without a file manager app?

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Thank you both :)

One subsidiary question I have concerns File Managers.

On Android, (& windows, Linux, mac OS) I am used to handling things through a File Manager (eg Windows Explorer). I think I am reading that this isn't possible on an ipad. That can't be correct, can it? How would you manage files without a file manager app?

Very true, there is no files management capability on the iPad - each app maintains its own files. So, you would have to remember which app has what file.

You could, however, have one app (such as Goodreader) that can act as a files manager of sorts in that you can have all your files in the app and use the "Open In..." function to open that file in another app. The only thing about that is that the new app makes a copy of the file and Goodreader keeps a copy, so you have duplication. You'll have to clean out your apps of old files every now and then.

Or, a lot of people use online storage, a majority of thick come with their own (usually free) app for online storage management. For example, I use Dropbox and when I go into the app, it displays all my files in a Windows Explorer-like fashion. I can then elect to open any of the files in a compatible app. Again, the file is copies to the new app, but many apps have a syncing capability where you can update the online/cloud file with any changes.

All of this is a result of Apple decision/theory of sand boxing. This is a security measure to prevent one app ("program") from being able to access another or the whole iPad system. It really helps keep the iPad safe and secure against viruses and such (for now) - although it does end up in pretty interesting workarounds by the consumer.

Hope that clarifies/answers your question.

Marilyn

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thanks again Marilyn :)

Yes, that explains it well. It also probably means that the Apple closed system is still too restrictive/controlling/big brother-esque for me at this time :(

The android system - without rooting - is just about the right balance between a "full computer system" & an easy to use/enjoy device it would seem. :)

I do appreciate the advice, however, and will continue to muse...

stanw

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I have iPad 4g 32 gig bought extra cloud storage approx £15 per year run my music from iPad etc v don't need my laptop I invoice
From iPad to customers via wifi its a great device. I have Bt home hub installed it all seems very fast apart from 4g I get from orange a bit slow.

OP
J

janner43

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Having mused on this further & looked at the Goodreader app - which is very impressive & would probably do the job for me, I stumbled across these accessories. I was amazed at the cheapness of these third party items.

I can't see any reason why the first one wouldn't solve the issue of getting our photos onto an ipad2 or 3, or have I misunderstood?

Shinntto iPad Camera Connection Kit 5in1 USB/SD: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Additionally, these keyboard/case combos look similarly impressive - what would opinions be on these, please? The reviews read well...

IPAD-2 ALUMINUN BLUETOOTH KEYBOARD / STAND: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Bluetooth wireless keyboard hard plastic stand cover: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics
Swees® New iPad 3 Bluetooth Wireless Keyboard Aluminium: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics

Finally,
1. am I correct in thinking that no antivirus software is required on iOS/iPad?
2. my son has an iPod which I assume he has iTunes for on his laptop. Would he be able to use "his" iTunes to do the initial "synching" of our photos/videos onto our iPad? If so, how would that be done please?

Thanks again :)

Last edited:

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I always take a look at the top and bottom reviews. In this case the bottom reviews of the camera connection kit suggest the build quality is substandard. For the price you are not risking much, so it's up to you if you want to try this third party device. Hold in mind that all the limitation of Apple's Camera Connection Kit will apply to the new one.

I have no experience with the keyboards you linked to. I've use a spare Apple keyboard for the few times I felt the need.

Mickey330

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
I'm with twerppoet in that I don't use a keyboard. I have bought the Apple wireless keyboard, but I haven't touched it in months. I'm just getting that good at using the virtual keyboard, TBH. :)

All that to say, again, in agreement with twerppoet, why not try out one of those keyboards - and the Camera connection kit (CCK), for that matter? At those prices, you sure won't be out much if they don't work (although, the Amazon reviews are pretty favorable overall).

Speaking of the CCK :))), I've outright stolen this Amazon reviewer's remarks about using this kit with the iPad (saved me some typing):

[Before connecting to your ipad,] [p]lug the USB flash drive [or SD card] into your computer & create a new folder - title it DCIM. Copy your photographic files into the DCIM folder. The files must have a filename with exactly eight characters long (no spaces) plus the file extension e.g. 00000001.jpg. The article I read also said movie fles can also be imported to the Ipad so long as you remember the eight character rule e.g. Holiday1.mov.

I believe that's what twerppoet meant by this device having the same limitations as the Apple CCK ... you have prepare the card/USB drive to be read by the iPad. Oh, and note that SD cards are better, because most USB sticks require more power to run than the iPad's 30-pin connector port provides.

Yes, you are correct in that you don't need anti-virus software for the iPad. It's all because of that sand boxing that Apple does (that I mentioned up-thread). So, we're pretty safe ... for now.

Last - I would not recommend using your son's iTunes to do the initial sync of the photos unless that is the iTunes that you will use as the main sync/backup/storage for the iPad. If you are going to use another iTunes for your own use, putting the pictures on the iPad from your son's iTunes will cause more grief than it's worth, even if it were to work. The general rule is: One iTunes per iPad. If you try to use more than one iTunes, you will start erasing data as you attempt to sync with two different iTunes.

Hope this clarifies some things - and adds to your decision-making about the keyboard and/or CCK ... and ultimately, whether to get the iPad. Good luck.

Marilyn

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I don't remember those last questions. Do I take this as another sign of my failing faculties, or were they added with the edit today?

Not that I need to answer them. I agree with Marilyn's answers. My, my, aren't we all agreeable today? ;)

Most reactions