What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad Backup Device

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
I had found a backup device about the size of an iPhone. I lost the page so went searching on Amazon just now. I saw several flash drives for backup that appear to connect via 8 pin connector with the other end a USB connector. A smaller device is better for me.

In theory this sounds great but I need to know which software or app you’d recommend.

I have a lot of apps and Notes to transfer to my new iPad. The Notes are the most important thing to grab. I figured that an app would retain any information or files if registered to me. If I’m wrong please tell me.

Thank you v

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
I had found a backup device about the size of an iPhone. I lost the page so went searching on Amazon just now. I saw several flash drives for backup that appear to connect via 8 pin connector with the other end a USB connector. A smaller device is better for me.

In theory this sounds great but I need to know which software or app you’d recommend.

I have a lot of apps and Notes to transfer to my new iPad. The Notes are the most important thing to grab. I figured that an app would retain any information or files if registered to me. If I’m wrong please tell me.......

Hi again Pinkipad. - actually, you've brought up several issues: 1) How to transfer data from your old device to setup the new one - check HERE and post back your questions; and 2) How to periodically 'backup' your current/new iPad - again, check HERE - backups can be done to iCloud, to a computer (w/ iTunes or Finder depending on the OS version installed on the machine), or via 3rd party software (I use iMazing for extra security). Let us know if these are the considerations in posting above. Dave :)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. I researched and did a backup manually to iCloud. Next is figuring out how to restore the backup on my new iPad. I’m still setting it up.

I looked at several flash drive devices for backup from the iPad. The one I’m tending toward has a usb connector end. I’m wondering what cable I can use for that end to plug into the wall socket.

iMazing app wasn’t in the App Store so I searched and found it. You can get the free download or buy it. What is the advantage of paying for it?!

I’m drawing a blank on the cable and my amnesia is the cause. But, in theory, a backup device like the one below is security in case my iPad is unable to be used.

[Apple MFi Certified] Gigastone USB 3.0 32GB Flash Drive for iPhone, Easy Multi Function App, Lightning, iFlashDrive, OTG High Speed, iOS iPad PC

twerppoet

iPad Fan
Reaction score
To be clear, while you can copy most files to/from the iPad using a thumb drive, you can not create a full backup. Backups can only be done via iCloud, or on a computer using iTunes (or other third party application like iMazing).

When you initialize your new iPad, it will give you an option to restore from an iCloud backup. That’s the easiest way to get all your apps and data to the new iPad. Some apps may be grayed out after the initial restore is finished. Over time they will download and install, as long as the iPad has an internet connection.

You mentioned special concern about your notes. If they are in the Notes app, be sure that you’ve been storing them on iCloud. In the Notes app, if you can see the header iCloud above you folders, then all is good. Backup or not, the notes will be synced back to your iPad; as long as you use the same iCloud account as the original.

7FA8829A-51BB-4D06-B381-15B9329307C4.png

If you are storing the notes in a local folder, it should say something like that. They should be restored with the backup; but you can also enable the iCloud option in the Settings for Notes, then move them to the iCloud account manually (drag and drop or select and use the Move To option.)

OP
Pinkipad2

Pinkipad2

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Thank you. The backup had to be restored during the setup. So, I reset the iPad and set it up again. Restored the backup from iCloud and it appears that all is on the new iPad. I’m dropping the idea of the device since the backup is in the iCloud. I’ll always have a backup ready m

Thank you again

Most reactions

Latest posts