What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPod goes 'ding' - when off

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
For the last couple of days I have heard an occasional 'ding/bong' sound in the house. I tried and tried to identify where the sound was coming from. Last night my wife was using the iPad (WiFi) and about 30 minutes after she had turned it off, the iPad went 'ding'.

I checked my laptop this morning and I had received a gmail message at exactly the time the iPad went 'ding'. So, this morning I sent myself a gmail message from the laptop (the iPad is off) but, no 'ding' so far (about 1 hour)??

What else could cause the iPad to ding occasionally - a couple times a day - only when the iPad is off? The iPad did not do this for the first couple of weeks after I first bought it - only in the last few days. How can it 'ding' when it's turned off?

Thanks
Robert

Last edited:

edmouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
By off do you mean off or asleep? I have an instant message program called IM+. I leave it in an Online state as I do other things on the iPad. It can use push notifications to interrupt something I'm doing to let me know a message has come in.

I always forget to take myself offline and when I am done with the iPad I just press the top button to 'sleep' it. Then after some time there is a 'ding'. If I press the home button there is a message telling me I have 10 minutes before the program will take itself offline. If I do nothing then another 'ding' will let me know it has just gone offline.

Sounds like something similar for you.

OP
B

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
edmouse, I am pressing the top button - 'On/Off- Sleep/Wake'. I thought that was turning the iPad off. Am I correct?

I have no IM service and I recall that I turned the 'Push' feature off for my gmail service (to save battery life)

Robert

edmouse

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Robert, the top button sleeps the iPad. The screen goes black. To get it back up instantly you touch the home button.

To turn off the iPad you hold the top button down until you see a red slide button on the screen. Sliding that will turn the iPad off. When you then press and hold the top button, the iPad will reboot and you will see a spinning gear. It will take longer for the screen to come up full of icons.

MikesTooLz

iPF Novice
Reaction score
Website
Weather.Team
Could be a new email or a calendar alert.

unless you have an exchange server with Push you wont get the emails instant on your iPad, you get them within 15 minutes of them being sent at best.

also the sleep/wake button on the top of the ipad only shuts off the screen, the ipad continues to run. To shut it off you must do like edmouse said, hold the sleep/wake button until the option to turn it off comes up.

OP
B

boaterbob

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Great 'Replies' - certainly appreciate your feedback. Now I know how to turn "OFF" the iPad :) I had never 'turned it off' I guess.

Thanks again
Robert

pastan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
boaterbob said:
Great 'Replies' - certainly appreciate your feedback. Now I know how to turn "OFF" the iPad :) I had never 'turned it off' I guess.

Thanks again
Robert

Hehe. That's funny=)

Most reactions

Latest posts