What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

3G Internet connection problems

Chewitt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi

Wonder if anyone can help?......

I have had my iPad for 9 months and been fairly problem free, occasional problems with 3G connection but solved easily by turning off and on again.

Last two days my Internet connection is driving me crazy, mostly I cannot connect to any page with various messages that am not connected etc. I have fully reception and 3G icon showing. I always use 3G and have never connected to a wifi connection. I have not downloaded anything i'n the last few days or changed any settings etc. Have been reading of similar problems although mostly with wifi and have tried suggestions such as reset and turning airplane mode on and off but no use, occasionally I can get a web page to open but mostly will not even try or will appear to start to open but then time out.

PLEASE does anyone have a "cure" for me?

Cheers Claire

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - couple of questions.

Do any Internet activities work via 3G? i.e. can you connect to the iTunes Store or the App Store, or use the iPad's native Mail app? i.e. Internet activity that doesn't require 3G.

You say you've never used WiFi, so I'm assuming WiFi is actually turned off

Tim

OP
C

Chewitt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi Tim........

Ok, I cannot get onto iTunes, the app store appears to be fine and I can you the native mail (I'm presuming that is getting my emails from the little envelope icon on the bottom of the screen?)

Sorry as you can probably tell I am not at all tech savvy!

Thanx!

Oh and yes wifi is turned off

Last edited:
OP
C

Chewitt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
It is all very weird and not consistent.....not been able to do much at all last two days but just now have been able to open both hotmail and facebook!....all very very confusing and annoying!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - the reason I asked was to try to determine whether it's a fundamental connection problem - 3G - or whether it's something to do with Safari. Since you appear to be able to retrieve email and connect to the App Store, that appears to indicate that the connection is good. So, then, I'm surprised that you can't get onto iTunes, which also require Internet access. I had wondered whether your iPad was, unknown to you, trying to connect to WiFi but, since you state that it's turned off, that clearly cannot be the case here.

By the way, which country are you in? If you're in the US is this a Verizon or AT&T iPad. If you're not in the US, are you actually seeing 3G as the icon next to the network name in the top left-hand corner of the screen - or is there an 'E' (for EDGE) or a '.' (for GPRS) next to the network name?

Tim

OP
C

Chewitt

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Ok......I am in Australia. At top left of my screen there are 5 reception bars, then says telstra, then 3G, then the little spiny wheel thing when it is doing / trying to do something. Oh and I can get into iTunes it was just being slow when I checked!

Tim SPRACKLEN

iPF Noob
Reaction score
OK - maybe our Australian Admin guy Colin will be able to help with this. It all sounds as though it should be OK. If you've got 3G showing, then you're connected at either 3G or 'so called' 3.5G (HSDPA) and you should have a cracking good connection.

Just a thought, have you experienced this problem in only this one location, or does it occur elsewhere? The reason I ask is that I had a similar problem on my laptop some years ago and tried absolutely everything. Then I noticed it only occurred in this one location - elsewhere it was OK. Turned out to be a fault in the cellular base station...

Tim

Most reactions