What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

hi and help! (dead screen - error 3194)

bill91817

iPF Noob
Reaction score
hi
new member and a bit of a time to time lurker!
Have a problem with my Ipad 3 and yes have been through the search function and cant find anything that will solve the problem (which is actually worrysome!)

My ipad screen went black - I thought it was just a dead battery but it would not power up. took it to apple and they said it was the docking port and not worth fixing. I bought a new OEM docking port and installed thanks to you tube!
The ipad when connected to a power charger after a while makes the "ding" sound that it normally makes when you first connect it - it keeps making this sound continuosly (every 10-20 seconds or so)
So I connect to my laptop and went into iTunes to first update (didn't work) and then restore - to do this I had to hold the power on and wake/sleep button for about 20 seconds as I cant sign into the ipad as the screen is black).
The ipad got about 3/4s of the way through the restore and then came up (on the laptop screen) with the message below
"The Ipad "ipad" could not be restored. An unknown error occurred (3194)."

Does anyone have any idea what this is?
really appreciate any insight
cheers
Bill

OP
B

bill91817

iPF Noob
Reaction score
great thanks - I was just trying to do a restore as I cant see the screen, will try updating I-tunes - if that doesn't work - the only other thing I can think of that may be an option is to replace the screen (LCD)?

Last edited:

scifan57

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
It's possible that the screen or its connector on the logic board are faulty. Did the Apple Store not say anything about the non-working screen when you took it in? Which iOS version is your iPad currently on? On anything after iOS 7 you're going to have to enter your Apple ID and password on the iPad as part of the restore process.

OP
B

bill91817

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Apple store identified the charging port as the problem, but after I replaced that the problem remained. I have no idea what iOS its running but it is likely to be an old one as its our backup ipad and gets little use - I was hoping to get it running for the kids to use now they are old enough not to destroy it

Most reactions