What's new
Apple iPad Forum 🍎

Welcome to the Apple iPad Forum, your one stop source for all things iPad. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

iPad1 syncing problems - Cant find advice anywhere!

CatherineMagnan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Hi I am trying to sync my ipad. Itunes recognises the ipad, but will only give me a revert or apply choice. I have updated the ipd and itunes software and it still doesnt give me an option to sync. I restored the ipad last night and now its wiped clean, but I still cant sync! Help. I have googled the problem in as many ways as I can think of and I cannot find anything close to whats going on. I tried enabling the wifi sybncing, but it says I need to connect to the computer to enable it. Ive tried connecting it, and selecting the wifi sync option... but it looks like I need to sync it to enable it! : ) Im on a PC.

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
Hello Catherine - welcome to the forum! :)

I'm assuming that the PC is the one used to setup the iPad and is 'authorized' to associate w/ the latter; also assume that you have a valid Apple account?

You might want to provide the versions of iOS on your iPad and also in iTunes; concerning your description above on 'restored' the iPad - was this done from iTunes or from the 'General Settings' of the iPad under 'Reset'?

Finally, you might want to check in the PC's 'Task Manager' to determine if the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) is running; the couple of times that I could not sync related to this service being off on my VISTA laptop for whatever reason - check HERE for specific information.

Not sure that any of these comments will help but may provide some additional clues to others - good luck!

OP
C

CatherineMagnan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Thanjs so much for the quick reply - I will check out what youve suggested when i get home tonight as I am now at work. I havent checked the AMDS yet, so maybe(hopefully!) thats the issue.

OP
C

CatherineMagnan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
ok... Here it goes:

Yep its the same pc and ive also authorized it from the drop down menu in iTunes and My account is valid.

I am running Itunes 10.5.3.3 and iOS 5.0.1. Yesterday I restored the iPad from iTunes summary page. I didnt know there was a reset under general settings on the iPad. : )

Now - Im off to check the task manager. AMDS wasnt listed in the task manager, so I stopped it and then started it... still doesnt appear in the task manager but it says its started (iTunes is open and the iPad is reconnected).

When I connect the iPad... sync is there, but greyed out. If I change something... like add an app to my app screens, it changes to revery or apply- but Apply is also greyed out. When I change something - it also then gives the old memory break down used prior to the restoration.

Agh - : ) Still no luck.:eek:

Hello Catherine - welcome to the forum! :)

I'm assuming that the PC is the one used to setup the iPad and is 'authorized' to associate w/ the latter; also assume that you have a valid Apple account?

You might want to provide the versions of iOS on your iPad and also in iTunes; concerning your description above on 'restored' the iPad - was this done from iTunes or from the 'General Settings' of the iPad under 'Reset'?

Finally, you might want to check in the PC's 'Task Manager' to determine if the Apple Mobile Device Service (AMDS) is running; the couple of times that I could not sync related to this service being off on my VISTA laptop for whatever reason - check HERE for specific information.

Not sure that any of these comments will help but may provide some additional clues to others - good luck!

giradman

iPad Fan
Reaction score
ok... Here it goes:

Yep its the same pc and ive also authorized it from the drop down menu in iTunes and My account is valid.

I am running Itunes 10.5.3.3 and iOS 5.0.1. Yesterday I restored the iPad from iTunes summary page. I didnt know there was a reset under general settings on the iPad. : )

Now - Im off to check the task manager. AMDS wasnt listed in the task manager, so I stopped it and then started it... still doesnt appear in the task manager but it says its started (iTunes is open and the iPad is reconnected).

When I connect the iPad... sync is there, but greyed out. If I change something... like add an app to my app screens, it changes to revery or apply- but Apply is also greyed out. When I change something - it also then gives the old memory break down used prior to the restoration.

Agh - : ) Still no luck.:eek:

Hi Catherine - sorry about the persistent problem; below is a portion of my opened 'Task Manager' under the Services tab showing the Apple Mobile Device service and also running - not sure how to get this into your task manager w/o re-installing iTunes which seems a little drastic at the moment?

Might want to wait for some other posters to 'chime in' who may have gone through this same experience - good luck - :)

TaskManager.JPG

OP
C

CatherineMagnan

iPF Noob
Reaction score
So - as it turns out - it was my security software! I found an apple support sheet that suggested that a multitude of problems could be a result of security software interference. For me, the issue was that my key had expired! All is now well and my iPad is syncing! yay!

raysonick

iPF Noob
Reaction score
Same thing happened to me. Was asked to use iCloud but too slow. In the end, I reinstalled everything (Fed up)

Sent from my Apple iPad

Most reactions

Latest posts